Antipodes Reference spec RCA cables (New Zealand)
Jul 21, 2012 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Gwarmi

Headphoneus Supremus
 Managed to snare a set of these heavily sheathed RCA units from Antipodes Audio over in New Zealand.

Yes, my Chord Co Cobra RCA's are well and truly outgunned here 
smile.gif

Even with such short time on the rig, I am thoroughly enjoying the difference in presentation
compared to the Nordost Red Dawn RCA and Chord Co Cobra - as a brief synopsis of what
I found on my rig concerning those other two cables

Nordost Red Dawn ~ circa $500

* Excellent pace and timing
 * Not overly bassy but not light either
 * Sizzly though, if sibilance is an issue on your rig. These will simply add more.

Chord Co Cobra ~ circa $200

* Overtly mid bassy at times
 * More forgiving than the Red Dawns for vocals
 * Top end can be a little glassy, lacks control in the higher end frequencies

This leads me to the Antipodes Reference cables - these are just the thing for
 me, given that the PS1000 can be quite extended and peaky at times - the Antipodes mellow
 character has tamed sibilance on recordings that I never thought would be possible.

All the detail is still there compared to the other two, in some cases - a little more.

Sound-stage is never going to grow overnight with a cable change if the amp does not have a
 heap in the first place. Still, separation is excellent.

The real test is the one that I am conducting right now listening to Hans Zimmer's
 'Dark Knight Rises' Soundtrack. Fans of the previous two installments will know
 all too well that these soundtracks coupled with a sizzly high end can like the
 T1 or HD800 can produce ear splitting results.

Not so over here, I am yet to hear any piercing clangy-ness or sibilance
 amongst the fracas of this dark symphony. Like the two previous works, it
 is an intensely complicated work that will give any rig/headphone - a thorough
 work out.

Overall, it is a real shame that these will have to go back to their rightful owner
 - all too soon - they remain certainly one of the finest units I have tested, particularly
 for the price. No - they're not cheap - approx $600USD and yet I can personally echo
 what a few reviews have stated about this cable - it appears to eclipse some other
 offerings that cost more.

Well worth a look if you are seeking to tame sibilance in your system and still
 retain excellent detail and dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back