Antipodes Audio DX V3 music server roon core, one mans unofficial guide down the rabbit hole.
Jan 30, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #91 of 296
Thread update. Ds core upgrades have been set up in Ontario for Canada and I’m at the front of the cue, but mother boards shortage is still holding cost and procedure structure for now.

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #92 of 296
Whazzzup

Stumbled across your thread while flicking through the web.

I've got an Antipodes DS (had it from Oct. '16). Was looking at upgrading it to the DS Core, but managed to get a new Core model so going with that. It won't have the Direct Ethernet (dual connections) which comes standard with the upgrade models, but it does have the self loading SSD slots in the back (going to put in a 2Tb SSD). I'll also lose the CD tray, but can attach an external CD to the Core if I want to download some CD's. Main thing is it comes with the V4H motherboard, which is the souped up one that's useful for Roon (I have lifetime membership).

Hoping to get the new Core end of Feb.

Cheers
John

PS make sure you ask them to also include the updates OS with your upgraded DS Core. The latest software is based on Fedora 25 (current OS is F22 version). Best to get this added now if you can.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #93 of 296
Whazzzup

Stumbled across your thread while flicking through the web.

I've got an Antipodes DS (had it from Oct. '16). Was looking at upgrading it to the DS Core, but managed to get a new Core model so going with that. It won't have the Direct Ethernet (dual connections) which comes standard with the upgrade models, but it does have the self loading SSD slots in the back (going to put in a 2Tb SSD). I'll also lose the CD tray, but can attach an external CD to the Core if I want to download some CD's. Main thing is it comes with the V4H motherboard, which is the souped up one that's useful for Roon (I have lifetime membership).

Hoping to get the new Core end of Feb.

Cheers
John

PS make sure you ask them to also include the updates OS with your upgraded DS Core. The latest software is based on Fedora 25 (current OS is F22 version). Best to get this added now if you can.
Sorry forgot where i was for a second...Good info so you are getting the new ds core end of feb, I see, cool. Im still waiting to find out procedure, price, etc... Looking forward to your impressions of the v4 ds core. Im not so concerned with hdd slots as i have about 150 gig so 800gig to go should do me but good to know. When i get info from igor at hifi centre ill post it on my thread and of course comparisons based on memory tho... cheers. I have been hoping for a few antipode audio owners to join our blog at head fi. As you can tell I had little knowledge and just went for it, very happy so far...

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #94 of 296
Was asked for my serial number, something might be happening concerning upgrade, did a backup just in case.
Spent some time testing antipodes on my other set up hpa8 to fully modded by Lawton th900. Very fun sound but with the ds gt the acuity has increased and with a sharp not as bloated bass as compared through iTunes and my old set up. I’d be curious now what the original th900 would sound like. Certainly antipodes puts a microscope on ones dac, the more capable the more beneficial the experience as I prefer the tt to gsx to hd800S than hpa8 which comes off not as dynamic maybe slightly flat compared then again the recessed mids of th900 may be partially to blame.
Anywho, see what’s next, happy listening.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #95 of 296
update, told April might be the month for upgrade.....

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #96 of 296
Contacted and given ds core upgrade options to v4 comming from dsgt. Well it’s not cheap but way cheaper than purchasing new. So being in this for the long run, have to upgrade. Certainly timing is everything in life given your prepared, my timing was 3 months early as purchasing ds core new upgrade right off would avoid duplicating costs, but this source is very important to me. There is no way I’d let ds core upgrade pass I must continue to pursue antipodes audio, it just seems the right thing to do. I don’t want to give up my server but local service I bet, hope not to long.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #97 of 296
trying up sampling to dsd 128, kinda nice. Little fuller if thats a sound. had to lower the headroom to -6.0. I bet the new ds core will cut through this like butter.... phone tomorrow to get it going

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #98 of 296
sixis refraction point wow just wow.... well found out i may be the first for canada for upgrade. Next month going to ds core. till then cheers network server folks

May 17, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #99 of 296
June FYI now... it doesn't matter when but interested in the upgrade....keep in touch

May 17, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #100 of 296
June FYI now... it doesn't matter when but interested in the upgrade....keep in touch

Whazzzup

I've also been told the CX model most likely too will be delayed until June (1st/2nd week), so don't think it's just yourself being picked on :head_bandage:.

Mark has just returned from Munich High-End event so I think they're just getting things sorted before the Upgrades & CX commence.

As an aside, and to put a positive spin on the delay, not been told officially, but the new OS version may be nearing completion, and this could mean the OS will be included with all models from June onwards :fingers_crossed:. May need to ask the question yourself, but should be a small bonus with the delays :grinning:

Cheers
John

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #101 of 296
Hi John, thanks for the update, I expect the summer at some point, but really does it matter. Course I’m looking for better performance perhaps from sq performance but especially from faster processing so we can choose higher up sampling with less chance of clipping. I guess have a chiko roll while listening as a distraction till then... :blush:

Jul 3, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #102 of 296
Updates coming outside of the upgrade program, just waiting for response from antipodes audio service on a few issues. Have Igor,Bruno, and tony in the loop. Report findings when I hear.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #103 of 296
Well from one off troubles one finds what service levels separates companies from each other and the chaff. Antipodes certainly shows that it stands tall in this regard.
On the downside i seem to have found that where I live viridian has had lots of micro outages as well as intermittent lightening strike outages. This has lead me to have to go into my DSGT and flip that battery more than I would have liked, frankly once is too many. I have been assured that there is an issue particular to my unit, but that demonstrates what service is all about. However from all involved from toronto and bruno to igor in vancouver to tony in new zealand, Have been all over it and has paved the way to an upgrade to DS core, that will be completed july 19, in lieu of said issues. Im pleased as punch. The SQ has always been good, certainly look for the upgrade and what that could bring. Report back After the 20th with pics and thoughts/ perhaps a new title of the Antipodes story.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #104 of 296
A8D73B13-3D61-4C04-910C-99818B4F99BD.jpeg
Update to my update looks like I will be getting one of these new instead. CX core. I am told it is superior to a ds core upgrade. Had to go to antipodes site to review these models and I see that as of may 2018 the new line has been shipping. Here is a pic and blurb about it. Regardless of what I get, keep the site up to date with pics and thoughts after I get the exchange.

Jul 6, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #105 of 296
The Antipodes CX is an evolution of the Antipodes CORE, but the CX is made to the same specification level as our flagship DX, and so it receives the 'X-level' designation. The CX uses the same multi-chamber construction as the EX, and the new ODAPS2 internal linear regulated power supply, which together make huge gains in reducing high frequency noise of the entire circuit. The CX delivers stunning sound quality, exceeding the audio performance of even the excellent DX while also providing high processing power to handle demanding server features with ease. The reason the CX can outperform the DX is that the CX provides much more processor headroom for the server app, and therefore running the server app in the same device interferes less with the renderer app. The CX can be upgraded to the CX+EX Solution by adding an EX and the combination provides a very significant audio quality improvement over using the CX alone.

In designing the CX, we have needed to strike a balance between a number of factors. The CX is principally designed to be powerful enough to meet the demands of processor-intensive applications like Roon. But high CPU clock rates above a certain level sound bad. So the CX uses a full desktop 4 Core i5 processor, run at a low clock rate, about half of its full speed capability. If you like analogies then it is like driving a de-tuned, but torquey V8. This is able to yield the best combination of processing power and sound quality. The clock rate is set at a level where sound quality is not impaired by the CPU’s electronic noise, but by using all 4 Cores it can meet most processing needs. It is worth adding that a full desktop i5 has 4 real Cores, whereas smaller i5 implementations (in laptops and NUCs) only have 2 Cores.

In making the trade-off between power and sound quality, we were able to make sure that the CX could transcode PCM files of any resolution to DSD512 using Roon’s DSP features, without any impairment of sound quality. To achieve this, a user needs to set Roon to use ‘parallelisation’, which is their word for using all 4 Cores multithreaded. The clock rate could have been increased to provide much more power, so that DSD to DSD transcoding without a PCM step was also possible at high rates, but the negative impact on sound quality is too significant to warrant it, so we have not targeted this feature.

The CX is a unique product. It combines high processing power with excellent sound quality - something that was not possible before Antipodes Audio developed the V4H circuit. We also want to caution users to be careful about assuming using DSP for upsampling/transcoding will sound better than playing the files at their native resolution. Transcoding on the fly generates more noise interference, DSD loses immediacy compared to PCM, and higher bit-rates can improve high frequencies but reduce performance in the lower frequencies. You really need to experiment to decide what suits you and your other equipment best. The nice thing with the CX is you have the luxury of doing just that.

If you decide to play your files at their native resolution, the CX is not wasted. The greater processing headroom delivers a refined, rich and full sound that is notable for its scale and ease.

Owners of a CX can use any USB CD/DVD drive to auto-rip their CDs, or add the new P1 platform, with its integrated high precision ripper. The CX is designed so that you can add your own storage disks, and you can self-install up to 4TB of HDD or up to 8TB of SSD storage. Use of SSDs improves dynamics, high frequency sweetness and speed, and is significantly more musically engaging. If you prefer to have your storage disks pre-installed then your dealer can assist you.

Outputs are USB or direct Ethernet. Direct Ethernet means the CX has two Ethernet ports. Connect one to the network for setup and remote control purposes. Connect the second Ethernet port direct to an EX or an Ethernet input on a DAC using a short high quality Ethernet cable. The direct link cuts out noise from the rest of the network and benefits from the very low-noise environment of the CX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back