Antipodes Audio DX V3 music server roon core, one mans unofficial guide down the rabbit hole.
Feb 4, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #151 of 296
Hey @Whazzzup . You seem to be the goto guy forAntipodes info. I was considering using it as an endpoint in Roon (Renderer I think). I would have my core on another machine. Does the EX have wifi or just ethernet (copper)? I would probably run Roon and HQPlayer and out usb to my TT or H2. I am doing this now with a NUC but the EX has got to be a much better usb out. Comments?

I have the CX and EX. The EX does not have WiFi but you can add a WiFi Access point.
I also upgraded my Melco N1z with Minim Server and used the EX as an endpoint a large improvement in SQ both Minim Server and Ex improved SQ but not as good as the CX EX combo running Roon.
I have yet to try the CX EX running Minim Server.
IMO a two box approach is better for SQ as the CPU processing is reduced and brings a lower noise floor.
Also consider and try different software for server duties these can reduce CPU power and reduce noise floor. Do not have two server software programs working in the same server box for the same reason.
Network noise is also an issue so try a Wireless access point to help isolate form network noise or use an Audio Network Switch.
Hope this helps.

Edit Both the Melco and CX EX have network ports to reduce network noise. As CX and EX have two network ports I found them to reduce network noise better than Melco but yet to try an expensive network switch...!

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #152 of 296
I have the CX and EX. The EX does not have WiFi but you can add a WiFi Access point.
I also upgraded my Melco N1z with Minim Server and used the EX as an endpoint a large improvement in SQ both Minim Server and Ex improved SQ but not as good as the CX EX combo running Roon.
I have yet to try the CX EX running Minim Server.
IMO a two box approach is better for SQ as the CPU processing is reduced and brings a lower noise floor.
Also consider and try different software for server duties these can reduce CPU power and reduce noise floor. Do not have two server software programs working in the same server box for the same reason.
Network noise is also an issue so try a Wireless access point to help isolate form network noise or use an Audio Network Switch.
Hope this helps.

Edit Both the Melco and CX EX have network ports to reduce network noise. As CX and EX have two network ports I found them to reduce network noise better than Melco but yet to try an expensive network switch...!
I was going to have roon core on another machine. The access point into the ex makes sense. This would allow the ex to only run roon bridge and HQP or HQP naa and output to my dac over usb. I think the cx is out of the picture for me.

Feb 4, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #153 of 296
I’d run roon core on antipodes but maybe I’m missing something.

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #154 of 296
@Progisus If you run the EX as an endpoint USB to your DAC, just install Roon ready (the renderer for Roon) on the EX your other box running Roon server will see it on the network.
You can connect your server box running Roon Core by ethernet into the CX.
Port 1 on the EX will filter network noise Port 2 is for the audio.
Or you could connect the Server box running Roon to your network and to the EX on port 1 this way the renderer (EX) is only using the filtered port, the server two ports if you have them.
The EX will run Roon server and Roon ready the renderer on the same box but it will not be the best in SQ it also has an built in DAC if you so wish to use.
The Two box solution is best, you can add the CX later or look for an Ex Demo etc.
Hope that helps.
PS Roon has its own DSP if you need it, so why HPQ?

Feb 4, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #155 of 296
@Progisus If you run the EX as an endpoint USB to your DAC, just install Roon ready (the renderer for Roon) on the EX your other box running Roon server will see it on the network.
You can connect your server box running Roon Core by ethernet into the CX.
Port 1 on the EX will filter network noise Port 2 is for the audio.
Or you could connect the Server box running Roon to your network and to the EX on port 1 this way the renderer (EX) is only using the filtered port, the server two ports if you have them.
The EX will run Roon server and Roon ready the renderer on the same box but it will not be the best in SQ it also has an built in DAC if you so wish to use.
The Two box solution is best, you can add the CX later or look for an Ex Demo etc.
Hope that helps.
PS Roon has its own DSP if you need it, so why HPQ?
I come from an mscaler. I have found HQP with sinc-m and lsn15 sounds better than mscaler so i need it. Roon controls it.

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #156 of 296
Well the EX is on its way. A couple days to reach the Prairies I think.

I will start off using it a a renderer running the HQPlayer naa with usb to my Hugo TT. I am excited to hear that Antipodes goodness @Whazzzup has posted about.

If that works out I will move my Roon Core to it and my library to an ssd mounted in one of the slots.

If that doesn’t degrade the sound I will move the HQPlayer server to it.

Excited!

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #157 of 296
Got the EX. It is an incredible upgrade. I loaded the HQPlayer naa, assigned my dac, did upgrades and sat back with my well known music. Where did that detail come from. The promises of the mscaler have been fulfilled with EX and HQP. Transient attack, localization, detail retrieval. I knew the TT had this potential.

This version allows for adding storage without tech support as well.

I’ll listen for awhile and then go for the Core.

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #158 of 296
So I have stripped all the apps except Roon and HQPlayer. I got the HQP embedded license and set it up the way I think sounds better than mscaler. I put a 1tb ssd in and copied my Roon library, did a Roon restore and rebooted for good measure. I will not be using the app switcher as all that’s left is Sharepoint which I can’t see how to uninstall.

This will be my Roon server / renderer end game. I will try my Hugo 2 eventually but I love the TT power reserve and with HQPlayer there is a godzillion taps anyway.
Hey @Whazzzup thanks for getting me interested in Antipodes.

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #159 of 296
Hey @Whazzzup , I saw your CX comment over on the mscaler thread. It got me to thinking. The advantage of the CX is to move the Roon Core and in my case the HQPlayer to the CX for processing and leave the EX as the renderer only. The EX and the CX are then connected directly through an ethernet cable to network 2 port. As you have a DX (I think) you are still doing all the processing in one higher powered box. That being said.... If I want to achieve close to the same thing then if I move my core back to my NUC (Windows 10) and run HQPlayer on the NUC and then send the HQPlayer signal to the EX it should be the same thing except for the dedicated low noise ethernet connection. I may try that but I sure like the one box solution I have now in the EX. To be continued....

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #160 of 296
In trying to emulate EX/CX I have:
-Placed the EX on an Airport Expess ethernet port to break ethernet noise by connecting to wifi
-used the cat6 cable to attach
-setup my NUC8i7 with Win 10 , Roon Core , HQPlayer
-removed from EX - Roon Server and HQP software
-left HQP naa on EX with connection to my TT dac

There is a definite audible improvement in the detail. Now I will need to decide if the extra boxes are worth it. Fun!

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #161 of 296
good to see the possibilities and impressions, My DX keeps doing its thing, still haven't heard my complete collection, still find albums daily with 0 plays. Weiro right now, really good.

Feb 24, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #162 of 296
The Antipodes is certainly the most flexible, well constructed and best sounding piece I have ever owned. I have changed back and forth with local and remote core, local and remote HQPlayer three times over the weekend as well as listened for hours in the late evening. The unpublished core monitor command ip/app_status.php has shown the cores rarely get above 30% in any configuration. I also really like the app switcher and have found no sonic differences or core loading having the various programs installed. I love to tinker.

Feb 24, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #163 of 296
In trying to emulate EX/CX I have:
-Placed the EX on an Airport Expess ethernet port to break ethernet noise by connecting to wifi
-used the cat6 cable to attach
-setup my NUC8i7 with Win 10 , Roon Core , HQPlayer
-removed from EX - Roon Server and HQP software
-left HQP naa on EX with connection to my TT dac

There is a definite audible improvement in the detail. Now I will need to decide if the extra boxes are worth it. Fun!

I dare you to try the CX on demo

Feb 24, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #164 of 296
Mar 6, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #165 of 296
For people owning the CX/EX combo do you still find benefit using things like the ETHER REGEN or the USB or ISO REGEN?

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back