Anti-Virus?
Sep 23, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #33 of 40
I've not bothered with any for a good few years.

Now I am off to uni, I have been provided with McAfee enterprise that I must run to use their network, which is fair enough.

(6 months since last format, with no AV. How many did McAfee find when I installed it? None. It's mostly how YOU browse the internet...
wink.gif
EDIT: and also if you use IE rather than FF. )

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #34 of 40
A bit of a late replay but... here goes:

Just recently did a fresh install of XP on my old laptop.
Here are its specs:

Pentium M 1.73GHz
2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
80GB 5400RPM HDD
ATI X700 w/ 256MB VRAM

So yeah, compared to your machine (TC) which is running Vista, I can only surmise that my machine is basically far inferior in specs, and that your machine is newer since the anti-virus only expired by '07.

For effective modern anti-viruses, read-up on AV-Comparatives.
For effective modern firewalls, read-up on Matousec.

Here's a list of the defensive software I've been using on this machine (All of them are Vista compatible BTW)l:

- AVIRA AntiVir Personal
(Real-time monitoring w/ very low system requirements. Actively detected viruses that I ran off on purpose via an infection test file I downloaded off the net)

- COMODO Firewall Pro
(Not a firewall for the faint at heart. It isn't one of the top contending firewalls via Matousec's tests for nothing, but you need to really know what you're doing in order to make it work for you. Comes integrated with a Malware and Virus Scanner)

- IOBIT Advance Windows Care Personal V2
(Helps protect our System Registry integrity and defends your machine against Spyware by removing them and defending present files in your computer with what they have in their database. Also assists in system optimization. Capable of freeing extra RAM not used by the machine. On Vista, be sure you have admin rights, or you will not be able to run everything there is to run on the Security Defense section)

- IOBIT Smart Defrag 1.0
(Basically works just like Diskeeper, but it comes for free. A very effective disk de-fragmentation program. I use this about once a week or so to keep my system's fragmentation rate at 0.00%. You may double check with Window's own Disk De-fragmenter to see how much of a good job it does.)

- Lavasoft AdAware 2008
(Low-resource requirement program. Pity that the free version does not have real-time monitoring unlike Spybot S&D, but it runs well if anything)

- Mozilla Firefox 3.0 (With Web of Trust and AdBlock Plus add-ons)
(AdBlock Plus blocks out ads (no duh! XD), speeding up overall surf times and Web of Trust identifies dangerous websites and/or scamsites that may act as Cybersquatters)

The following are some screen shots to see how resource intensive things can get on this old machine given its specs:

Idling:
ScreenShot-Low.jpg

Busy:
ScreenShot-High.jpg

As of recent, and based on experience, I do not recommend TrendMicro's products any longer.
Ever since using their line from PCCillin 2004 onwards, their products are getting more and more bloated, requiring more real-tme computing power to sustain them as well as being bigger memory hogs as the years go by.

Their Anti-virus section has a very low detection rating by today's standards, and their firewall is not very secure either, reaching only Level 3 of Matousec's Firewall tests and failing the rest of the 7 levels (10 levels of testing were done).

Sep 25, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #35 of 40
I own a local small retail shop & as part of the service, I do computer repairs & upgrades. In over 8 years of doing this service I have not found a better anti virus program than AVAST (free for home use). It has caught 99% of the viruses around & what I have thrown at it to test it.

If you ask ME what I use (as a computer repair person)?

The only thing I can 100% rely on ... Apple Mac OS Leapord.
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #36 of 40
I was using Secure Resolutions antivirus program but the console was available only on line and when it expire there was no way I could contact customer support when I wanted to renew it. Also, I have been unable to uninstall (I hate programs that make it difficult to do so!) and a virus recently was not detected and managed to deactivate the antivirus program! I am now using (free, home edition) Avast and I am very satisfied.

Sep 27, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #40 of 40
I've tried Avast, AVG and Avira AntiVir. I chose Avira from these three. It's very light and has worked flawlessly. I also read an extensive test between some common virus scanners which ranked Avira as clearly better in recognizing the viruses than the other two.

The test can be found here:

AV-Comparatives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back