Anti-Headphone Prejudice
Aug 8, 2005 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
a few years ago i heard a news story about a kid who was hit and killed by a truck. the explaination was he was "wearing his headphones" at the time--the implication being it was his fault. putting that aside, how does wearing headphones rule out driver error?

someone mentioned in the iem thread that companies might not pay out personal injury to employees that use headphones at work.

have you every personally encountered animosity for wearing headphones at your job or anywhere? i've noticed senoir citizens seem to have a blind spot when it comes to headphones, and will get very irate if you do not answer then when you can't hear them.

i almost got beaten up by a gang in seatle's pioneer square because someone was talking sh!t to the back of my head and i didn't turn around. i had headphones in and couldn't hear him! another time someone wanted the time and kept screaming at me until i took my headphones out. they were fuming!! i simply didn't notice them.

ever put you cans on and you wife or so comment "trying to block me out, huh?"

why is it some people take it personally when you wear your cans?

Aug 8, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 25
Honestly, it pisses me off when someone is listening to music while i am talking to them. There is 1 kid where i work who listenins to music all the time. Usually he only had one ear in, but when he has 2, he blasts the music and we have to tap him all the time. He pisses me aff sometimes.

Aug 9, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 25
Let's be honest...wearing headphones in public is antisocial behavior, just like staring into a cell phone/PSP/crackberry is antisocial behavior. By putting on a pair of headphones while on the subway/in a waiting room, etc., you are pretty much saying to the rest of the room that they aren't worth your attention. Nevermind the fact that they probably aren't...it pisses people off whe you remove yourself from public space. Not only is there something about it that seems arrogant (esp. people who yell into their cell phoness headsets), but it makes it difficult for people to ask you simple questions like "is this seat taken" or "what time is it" or, in your case, "you frontin', beeotch?"

etysmile.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 25
The Shure E5 is a great in-earphone. Once they see it, people assume you're deaf and are wearing hearing aids, so they'll shout slowly at you. Hence no need to take them off
tongue.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 25
The fact is most of the time the public isn't worth the attention. I went from open ear earbuds (which i wear when cycling for safty reasons) to closed cannal phones for this reason. It's not being antisocial as such as trying to find a joy when commuting in the boring daily ratrace.

That said I understand what you mean, which is why when I so much as see someone I know, or some taps me and goes to start a conversation, it's not just earbuds out, it's put them in the bag where they belong.

Essentially being antisocial is fine as long as there's no one trying to be social with you.

Aug 9, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 25
It's not necessarily any more anti-social than being lost in your own thoughts, it just looks that way. Really, anybody that pre-judges is the one w/ the problem. If you tap somebody on the shoulder (whether that person is engaged in a time-killing activity or not), their reaction is what determines whether or not they want to be left to their own devices. Mind you, it would be rude to leave the headphones on if somebody was trying to talk to you, I'm talking about before then.

Aug 9, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 25
What? I can't hear what you're saying! Can't you see I'm listening to my headphones?! Does it look like I want to talk to you?!

tongue.gif

For some reason, my wife has people trying to talk to her all the time. Regardless of whether or not she's wearing headphones, reading a book, on a laptop. Particulary when she's flying. People even tap her on the shoulder, to get her attention. I guess women assume all women are interested in their life and want nothing better to do than to talk to a complete stranger on a flight.

But I don't really have any one bother me at all on flights. Perhaps it's because I'm a guy. Or that I have headphones on (usually IEM's when travelling), or that they think because I am Asian, I may not speak engrish.
Or maybe I don't look very friendly and am not talkative.

Funny thing is that they would probably regret striking up a conversation with me. As anyone that has met me knows, 4 hour conversation with me will have you looking like Van Gogh.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 25
Heh, i wear cans or now my shures mostly to block out unwanted train noise and idiots jabbering about mindless things. Also, it helps me concentrate when reading a book (i turn off the karma but leave the shures in).

Lastly, it helps keep me entertained to listen to music on my commute.

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin
It's not necessarily any more anti-social than being lost in your own thoughts, it just looks that way. Really, anybody that pre-judges is the one w/ the problem. If you tap somebody on the shoulder (whether that person is engaged in a time-killing activity or not), their reaction is what determines whether or not they want to be left to their own devices. Mind you, it would be rude to leave the headphones on if somebody was trying to talk to you, I'm talking about before then.

I agree, those people don't even know what they're getting mad at. It's however certainly not due to the fact that you're ignoring them, because once they tap your shoulder they know you're not usually, but more due to the fact that they FEEL ignored, and really, noone is helping them do that. Instead of wasting time getting mad at a feeling you yourself know is wrong (people aren't really ignoring you most of the time), the time would be better spent trying to find another reason than "he/she doesnt like me" and understanding the way people really feel instead of concentrating on a sentiment which you know deep down only comes from you.

Aug 9, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 25
I have the greatest job in the world. When I interviewed, I spotted a pair of Thiels in my boss' office. So, it's "audiophile-friendly". Plus, the other people are at varying levels of music afficianados -- I've seen everything from my boss to someone with an iPod mini.

I'm actually thinking of taking the big rig in, but I need to think about it for a while. I already have: the Stax setup, and both Radii amps there, and a couple of different headphones (Senn HD600 and Beyer DT770/250).

Aug 9, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #11 of 25
I don't consider it prejudice specifically against headphones. People just get frusterated when they can't communicate.

Also, concerning the accident, I could see how the pedestrian can be questioned for wearing something that blocks out one of the most important of your five senses when walking around a city.

I second bangraman's comments about the Shure E5c. I wear them around a lot in public when I don't expect to be social. The gym, grocery store, ect. When you wear a "normal" looking set of headphones or IEMs you usually just get a quick look, and then nothing else. With the E5cs, people look at you and then quickly look away. It's like they don't want to stare at what they think is your heading aid hehe. This isn't a bad thing though, people just don't understand what they are seeing.

Either way, I don't think it has to do with headphones itself, but rather just the difficulties communicating as a result of wearing them. But whatever, having portable music is one of the best things about technology if you ask me!

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuineaMcPig
... but it makes it difficult for people to ask you simple questions like "is this seat taken" or "what time is it" or, in your case, "you frontin', beeotch?"

etysmile.gif

actually they were asking for donations "to help prevent muggings".
rolleyes.gif

Aug 10, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter

i almost got beaten up by a gang in seatle's pioneer square because someone was talking sh!t to the back of my head and i didn't turn around. i had headphones in and couldn't hear him! another time someone wanted the time and kept screaming at me until i took my headphones out. they were fuming!! i simply didn't notice them.

ever put yo

Man those jokers don't know what we are all about. I will go to battle with you, with headphones on. They will recieve punishment for not respecting the cans, no one can play with head-fi, we just dont take that crap.

Listen, you get your hd600s, i'm taking me my ms2, me and u, we going to war. Those fools, they won't stand a chance. Just us and them, who's going to stop us??? WHO?!@?!

; )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back