Anti-Cables anyone have them?
Jul 9, 2008 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking at getting a stereo pair for my lowly setup. Just curious if anyone else has used them to good effect?

Anti-Cables | Home

The glowing reviews come from some pretty reliable sources. Affordable audio just did one. I like him.

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 8
ok I will try them and report back then.

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 8
I think someone had them in one of the Chicago meets. Sorry to be so vague, but it was a long time ago. You can restrict an advanced search to the meets forum. they were mentioned by name and should come up.

After seeing the photos, I built a pair for personal use, and they sound fabulous. The work was tedious, if you like the idea of a thin conductor/fat ground (which is a VERY good idea for many reasons) they are totally worth buying.

edited: my comments here are about the interconnects.

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think someone had them in one of the Chicago meets. Sorry to be so vague, but it was a long time ago. You can restrict an advanced search to the meets forum. they were mentioned by name and should come up.

After seeing the photos, I built a pair for personal use, and they sound fabulous. The work was tedious, if you like the idea of a thin conductor/fat ground (which is a VERY good idea for many reasons) they are totally worth buying.

edited: my comments here are about the interconnects.

Yes. I intend to do a complete setup including I/C. After reading and studying the idea for a bit, it seems like a great idea. I really need to clean up my sound too so this will help greatly with the noise floor at least.

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 8
Physically the speaker wires are a bit stiff and can be slightly difficult to work with but they sound great.

Using thinner gauge magnet wire to DIY them (affordable audio mentions that too I believe as well as other folks) costs just a few dollars and sound better.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 8
I made a pair of speaker cables out of heavy gauge magnet wire (12 ga. if I remember, but I'm not positive). It has an enamel-like insulation that's hard as heck to scrape off. My friend who split the order with me said they are the same as Paul uses in the Anti-Cables. They sound excellent and I haven't wanted to upgrade my speaker cables since. Note total system cost: $2800.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 8
I may be the one referred to at the Chicago meet. I have a pair of Anti-IC's that I've used between the Opus 21 and Zana Deux for some time. I've really liked them. Very little coloration and a clean sound that I like. But recently I've been using a DSN DIN to RCA IC as it sounds crisper to me, with better bass definition.

But the Anti-IC's are great bang for the buck.

A_Sr.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 8
I just bought a pair with Neutrik RCAs and overall impression:
- Slightly rolled off in high
- initial attack a little subtle
- Nice liquid upper mid
- Good body (as oppose to lean)
- Quite rich harmonics
- images are quite real and natural (not the lazer cutout type)
- Quite bassy

Quite natural on acoustic music and they sounded esp good on vocals, piano and cello. I'm not so sure about trumpets; smooth and nice but lack a bit of edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back