Answers from «Stereoplay» to my cable-sound questions
Oct 23, 2006 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's the answer I got from Dalibor Beric, editor «Test und Technik» at Stereoplay, one of the three main hi-fi magazines in Germany:

We audition cables in blind tests, although not the mentioned DBTs. So the corresponding cables are unknown to the test persons, but we always listen like this: A B A B A B. This because it isn't our goal to prove that there's a difference or none, but to hear how the cables alter the sound. For this, this method is more conducive. At the same time I know that it is not accepted by «scientists».

Now I've had a bunch of discussions in my life, enough to know that there are people who are afraid of things that aren't (yet) explainable and therefore have a negative attitude against them. Even DBTs successfully passed by myself don't help, for in this case you're simply said to be especially sensitive, whereas the majority doesn't hear anything.

I suspect that you share my opinion that for us epicures it doesn't really matter if the majority hears an effect or not, but just that we perceive an effect. For these reasons IME it doesn't make sense to try to convince cable skeptics. Because the arguments which speak against a sonic impact of cables are manifold. Or, in other words, for many EEs the basic principle often heard at universities is valid: «It's negligible.»

Because science, too, is a mirror of our society, and really curious people open to new discoveries are very rare. Moreover it's human to reject something that one doesn't know at the first moment. After all that's a protective function which also scientists aren't free from, and also there biases get established because they make life easier.

Relating to this topic I recommend a quite provocative and entertaining book from Robert Anton Wilson, «The new Inquisition», which illuminates this problem quite exactly, without renouncing a sense of humor.

Back to the test procedures. We also listen to the cables somewhat longer than in the blind ABX procedure -- which IMO has been developed to hear as little as possible and to legitimate standards as bad as MP3 and similar. Our listening tests are designed to enable the hearing of differences. So we listen to one cable, swap to another one (to use the same in- and outputs on amplifiers) and listen to the same piece of music again. As mentioned, the test persons don't know which cable is in the chain, and the man who does the swapping isn't visible.

In this respect, the only thing one can blame us is that we want to make differences audible and want to hear which sonic impact a specific cable has -- just like a wine taster wants to taste differences.

Hence I'm highly interested in how the results would look like if the same amount of money and energy would be invested for investigating why we hear much more than assumed. Probably the results would be different than at the moment -- now, that science is focussed on the proof that we hear much less than assumed.
wink.gif

Regards

Dalibor Beric
Stereoplay

As you can see, there's no answer to my question regarding possible insights with respect to measuring results. I've asked the same questions twice or thrice, but none of the three answering mails (each from a different person) was even approximately complete... After all, the above statement is one I personally can live with for now -- and which I share for the most part.

Original text in German:

Wir hören Kabel im Blindtest, wenn auch nicht im angesprochenen Doppelblindtest. So sind den Testern zwar die jeweiligen Kabel unbekannt, doch hören wir immer A B A B A B. Dies liegt daran, dass wir nicht beweisen wollen, das man einen Unterschied hört oder nicht, sondern wie die Kabel den Klang verändern. Dazu ist dies förderlicher. Ich weiss aber, dass dies von "Wissenschaftlern" nicht akzeptiert ist.

Nun habe ich in meinem Leben reichlich Diskussionen geführt, um zu wissen, dass es Menschen gibt, denen es Angst macht, etwas (noch) nicht erklären zu können, und die deshalb solches ablehnen. Da helfen auch von mir schon bestandene Doppelblindtests nicht weiter, denn in so einem Falle wird einem dann eine besondere Empfindlichkeit nachgesagt und argumentiert, dass die Mehrheit halt nichts höre.

Ich vermute mal, Sie sind da meiner Meinung, dass es für uns Genießer uninteressant ist, ob die Mehrheit etwas wahrnimmt oder nicht, sondern ob wir einen Unterschied wahrnehmen. Aus diesen Gründen macht es nach meiner Erfahrung keinen Sinn, Kabelgegner zu überzeugen zu versuchen. Denn die Argumente sind mannigfaltig, die gegen einen Klangeinfluss von Kabeln sprechen. Oder, anders gesagt, es gilt für viele Techniker der Grundsatz, den man so oft an den Universitäten hört: «Das ist zu
vernachlässigen.»

Denn auch Wissenschaft ist ein Spiegel unserer Gesellschaft, und wirklich neugierige und entdeckungswillige Menschen sind sehr rar. Zudem ist es menschlich, etwas, was man nicht weiss, im ersten Moment abzulehnen. Schließlich ist dies eine Schutzfunktion, von der
auch Wissenschaftler nicht frei sind, und auch hier greifen immer wieder Vorurteile, weil sie das Leben erleichtern.

Dazu empfehle ich noch ein recht provokantes und unterhaltsames Buch von Robert Anton Wilson, «Die neue Inqusition», das diese Problematik recht genau beleuchtet, ohne aber Witz vermissen zu lassen.

Doch zurück zum Testverfahren. Wir hören die Kabel auch etwas länger als im blinden ABX-Verfahren, was meiner Meinung nach entwickelt wurde, um so wenig wie möglich zu hören und so schlechte Standards wie etwa mp3 und ähnliches zu legitimieren. Unsere Hörtest sind darauf ausgelegt, Unterschiede zu hören. So hören wir ein Kabel, wechseln dann auf ein anderes (um dieselben Aus- und Eingänge an Verstärkern zu verwenden) und hören uns dasselbe Musikstück nochmals an. Wie erwähnt, wissen die Tester nicht, welches Kabel die Verbindung macht, und der Mensch, der umsteckt, ist außen vor.

So kann man uns nur vorwerfen, dass wir Unterschiede hörbar machen und hören wollen, welchen Klangeinfluss ein Kabel hat, so, wie ein Weintester Unterschiede schmecken will. So würde es mich stark interessieren, auf welche Ergebnisse man kommen würde, wenn man genauso viel Geld und Energie verwendete, um zu erforschen, warum wir viel mehr hören, als man vermutet. Sehr wahrscheinlich käme man da zu anderen Ergebnissen als im Moment, da die Stoßrichtung ist, nachzuweisen, dass wir viel weniger hören als angenommen.
wink.gif

Viele Grüße

Dalibor Beric
Stereoplay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back