anquick question about gold plating
Apr 8, 2009 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Wiggy Fuzz

100+ Head-Fier
for cables, how much of a difference does gold plating make (for digital and analogue), and will it really make all that difference if the contacts used in a device (eg: i haven't come across a HD tv with gold plated contacts for the hdmi or analogue inputs - would gold plated cables make a difference over bog standard ones?

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 13
Usually gold plating won't matter too much. The advantage of gold is that it's an inert metal, so the connectors stay cleaner - in practice it's not really a big difference at all.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 13
different metals conduct signals differenty. Most noticabley would be the difference between copper and silver IC's. however the thin nature of gold plating would probably not maek any appreciable difference in SQ.
Generally, it's used for corrosion control. And more likey for asthetics

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 13
I use Gold IEC connectors and plugs on power cables. On Solid State gear they Rock. They soften the sound, been known to widen the sound stage, and make the music just a little bit better. On tube gear it may be a little to much decadence, especially hooked up to power conditioning. Gold has its purpose and does it very well.

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 13
For all I know gold plating (of connectors and plugs) is to fight erosion a little. I don't believe there will be a difference in sound quality but I never tested.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 13
As a fellow Head-fier said in his garage listening to 2 power cables made the same but one was Gold and one was Rhodium Furutech FI-15's. Same length but the Techflex was different. The soundstage with the Gold was "wider" and with the Rhodium the Soundstage was "taller". Gold plated stuff from Rat Shack will not do you any favors, But if you get something from like Cardas, Kimber, Furutech, or Oyaide you will find that gold plugs, connecters, RCA's xlr's will have a different sound signature from the ones you are currently using. To me it is about the sound. And Gold has its own sound signature and is easy to tell. Smooth, lush, a little laid back, and a lot of bass.

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 13
Yeah, so do you want lanky or chubby sound? You know, I hear aluminum actually adds depth, so grab one of each for the whole 3D package.

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 13
Who makes the connectors? I will try them out. I have cables to demo to hear a difference in sound. Just PM me.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 13
Gold is used to prevent oxidation.

And how much would be needed to "change" the sound, anyhow? Can you really hear a 2 micron layer over brass? What about 15 microns over brass?

When you're talking about plating, you're talking about a layer that's far, far thinner than the thickness of a human hair.

Is that really going to make a difference?

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 13
I don't want to get too complicated, but I'll try and explain connector materials and thus the reason for gold plating.
The materials used in connectors rank as follows for electrical conductivity:

1. Silver
2. Copper
3. Gold
4. Brass
5. Nickle

Brass is used as a base material because it is cheaper than gold, copper or silver.
Silver, copper and brass oxidize. Silver oxide is an excellent electrical conductor, copper oxide and brass oxide are not.
Obviously there is not much reason to gold plate a silver connector.
You can gold plate directly on brass and copper, but unless it's a thick coating, the brass and copper will eventually leech through the gold and oxidize the connector. What's normally done is to first plate a "barrier" layer of nickle which prevents leeching. Some cheaper connectors stop there since nickle doesn't oxidize, which is why you stiil see some nickle plated connectors.
Unfortunately nickle is magnetic and not as good a conductor as gold. This is why gold is then plated over the nickle.
Gold plating is used instead of silver plating primarily because of aesthetics. Gold doesn't oxidize, silver does. Even though silver oxide is still an excellent conductor, it looks terrible.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Some very low end plugs mage respond with crackling noice when you move them in the jack. Must be the cheap ass metal they are made off. That doesn't mean you have to go with gold plated and gold only. A nickel plated will behave just as good.
Also don't stress yourself to much with looking for better SQ in plugs. Even the most vivid "exotic cable believers" don't go that far. As long as the soldered wires have a good contact and it's not some ultra low-fi plug made out of some dodgy metal, you'll be fine.

EDIT: beaten by a pro :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back