Another Vinyl Entry Thread
Jun 17, 2008 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Testament

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I am thinking of investing in a vinyl setup and have about 500-550 dollars to spend on everything. I was looking at a used technics sl1200, or music hall mmf 2.2. I wanted to know what you guys suggest. I don't want turntables that are too old though. Also could i have suggestion on a phonostage preamp?
thanks

Jun 17, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Testament /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at a used technics sl1200, or music hall mmf 2.2. I wanted to know what you guys suggest. I don't want turntables that are too old though.

The Technics is more than 25 years old, so how far back in time are you looking to go?

Jun 17, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm partial to the Rega Planar 3/P3 decks. Used ones are a terific value, they're reliable and there's a ton of aftermarket goodies for them. They give you more room to tinker, tweak and upgrade than anything but the Linn LP12. And you get a killer tonearm, too. Haven't heard a Music Hall, but my cousin spins a SL1200. They're good decks, but I prefer Regas in that price range.

For inexpensive cartridges, I like the Grado Black and the Shure MX97E. The Grado is livlier and more fun, but the Shure is great for the price.

I'd go with an inexpensive phono stage at first. One of the $30 ones from Garage-a-Records will work. You can also pick up a vintage receiver at a thrift store, junk shop or garage sale with a phono section and save a lot of money. The receivers have a radio, too, and some of them make good headphone amps, too.

Also, I highly recommend reading the Vinyl Anachronist articles. I can't post the URL from my phone, but Google will bring him right up. Those are good reading and will answer a lot of questions.

Jun 17, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 5
I'll take the diametrically opposite position of what Erik just said and recommend that you score an SL-1200. Every belt drive at that price range is going to have speed stability issues. My MMF5 had horrible speed stability issues. The Rega P3 is known to have speed stability issues. The SL-1200, in comparison, has none. And the rest of the table (especially the tonearm) is much better than people give it credit for.

New 1200s regularly go on sale for under $400. Musiciansfriend had a deal like that last year; I think someplace else has a deal like that now. At that price it just does not make sense to buy used. 1200s hold up their price remarkably well in the used market.

I mostly agree with what Erik says about cartridges and preamps. I'd also throw in the AT95E for serious consideration in the $50 range. Phonopreamps.com also has lots of cheap preamps in the $30-70 range that are competitive at that price, although honestly, the preamp is going to be the weak link here.

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 5
hey so the rega buy itself is over 500 dollars so i may just invest in a sl1200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back