Another Turbo D-25S is Born!
Sep 4, 2004 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

was ist los?

1000+ Head-Fier
After a while of not using my D-25S and on the brink of selling it, i found an good deal for a broken D-25S. I finally finished the final step last night of taking the PCM66 from the broken to my current one.
My first impression was the smoothness and wide, wide sounstage. Simply amazing for a player its size. However, i felt the bass and overall impact was a little lacking. This is a tradeoff for the new refinement in the player. It's as if it's reborn.

Sep 4, 2004 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 17
welcome to the team
icon10.gif
!!

....have you tried jazz and classical music? that is what really makes it shine..

m.

Sep 4, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 17
is this mod useful if you listen to alot of rock music?

Sep 10, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 17
I am looking forward to hearing the "Turbo D25S" again (!) :hint:
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by puppyslugg
Ok, Ok!

As soon as I get off my lazy butt!
biggrin.gif

icon10.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 17
do you have any pics of the mods?

and can this mod be done to the Sont D-15? It looks and sounds like the D-25.

Jan 12, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 17
I've been away from the boards for quite some time; long enough to have missed this thread on D25 Turbo number 4 (or 5?). Way to go, Was ist los. I remember your mention in past threads about going all the way with the modifications.

I remain more than impressed with my Turbo D25. At work, I use the headphone out with E5s. At home, it's lineout to an XP-7, HD650/Zu and ZU Pivot. It's all battery operated and fits in a small open area of my workbench (too cluttered for larger gear; hence the transportable route).

Ironically, what sparked my curiosity to search the Turbo-related threads was a recent listening session. I don't know if it's accidental system matching, all of my components finally burning in, or a combination, but this rig simply sounds exceptional. Soundstage, separation, and imaging are excellent.

I'm still toying with the idea of a few trace changes, per one of the original threads, and I'd still like to upgrade a few more caps.

PuppySlug - hello dude. What's on your project plate?

Mekanoplastik - My mod was completed by the green vinyl. Thank you.

Madcat05 - I posted a link to a few pics when I did the mod. Let me know if you cannot locate.

The bad news is that after spending just a few moments in this forum, I can easily identify 2k worth of gear that I can't live without..... A dac is on the list for when the D555 is on deck. Hate (read love) this place.

Best,

Dave

P.S. If anyone does this mod and needs a section of copper tape for the top of the 2nd dac, I have a roll and can spare a few segs. PM me if interested.

Jan 12, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by drp

Mekanoplastik - My mod was completed by the green vinyl. Thank you.

you are welcome...
smily_headphones1.gif

i just wish more people were to join us...too bad this player has become a rarity once again...

my player has developed some skippin issues i will be takin care soon, since i build it i have used it almost on daily basis so i guess it is normal...nothing some overhauling cant fix...

i will be buildind a tpa6120 amp soon, i think it will make a superb desk/minimal system coupled with the turbo...hopefully i will be able to finish it (aka afford the parts
rolleyes.gif
) soon..

was ist lost?...if you want some green foil let me know, i will send you some

as far as i know there are 5 turbos...

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 17
Hey mekano, i have a TPA6120 amp and i will probably start using it with the Turbo since i rarely use the TPA for a comp setup.
BTW, does that green foil really work?

May 16, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 17
For those curious on how to perform the mod, i recently took pics of the dac mod per request of another headfier and thought i'd share it with the rest of the community.

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

May 16, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #14 of 17
So is this basically just DAC stacking?

May 16, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
So is this basically just DAC stacking?

Yes, paralleling the DACs, and I think they did power supply mods too. I think mekano also replaced an op-amp somewhere, although I don't know which he replaced. Someone mentioned the servo control at some point, which seemed odd to me since the servo control is usually handled by one of the multi-purpose ICs. However, it may use an op-amp to do the IV conversion, in which case replacement of it would probably have a real effect on the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back