Another take on computer speakers (2.0, 4" - 5", 160 USD)
Apr 23, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #31 of 40
I'm not saying that 10.1s are completely incapable of being used as desktop speakers, basically anything that fits your desktop is to some extent :). What I am more concerned about is the soundstage and sound positioning (it will be used for gaming, after all, and I already miss my previous Logitech 5.1 system, although it sounded inferior to T40s, 6 speakers is simply better than 2 speakers for gaming). Also, at least from what I have found the speaker design is (or should be) a bit different concerning nearfield and h-fi, especially when it comes to high frequencies.

Nevertheless, I wrote Wharfedale and let's see what will be their response, I'm in no big hurry :).

Interesting find:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/875026-hi-fi-bookshelf-speakers-near-field.html#post11047508

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #32 of 40
The Wharfedale 10.0s have one driver and one tweeter, like most monitors. Like I said. I've heard of many people using the 10.1s (9.1s as well) for desktop setups. Mostly, IME, you want to avoid speakers for nearfield use that are overly fatiguing (e.g. Klipsch), and that's not the Wharfedales.
smily_headphones1.gif

+1
Doesn't really matter what it says 'on the tin' as long as it's 1 woofer + 1 tweeter, you can't really screw this up.

6 speakers is simply better than 2 speakers for gaming

Could you explain why?
(I'm a gamer of 27 years, so I'm wondering if this is simply your subjective opinion, or a scientific fact :)

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #33 of 40

Could you explain why?
(I'm a gamer of 27 years, so I'm wondering if this is simply your subjective opinion, or a scientific fact :)

You won't hear an enemy approaching you from behind if you use a stereo setup. No matter how bad 5.1 speakers you will buy, the sound will be still behind you :).
Yes, I know, serious gamers use headphones. But I don't like headphones. I like speakers.

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #34 of 40
Ah ok... Now I understand... I thought by "6 speakers" you were still talking about these monsters
(not 5.1 system) 
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #35 of 40
I'm not saying that 10.1s are completely incapable of being used as desktop speakers, basically anything that fits your desktop is to some extent :). What I am more concerned about is the soundstage and sound positioning (it will be used for gaming, after all, and I already miss my previous Logitech 5.1 system, although it sounded inferior to T40s, 6 speakers is simply better than 2 speakers for gaming). Also, at least from what I have found the speaker design is (or should be) a bit different concerning nearfield and h-fi, especially when it comes to high frequencies.

All I can tell you is that you are way over thinking this and reading into consumer speaker stereotyping based on subjective evaluations and, in the instance of that post you just linked to, drawing upon someone with very limited experience (he's tried three speaker setups, and now he's an expert in nearfield vs passive bookshelves?).

Whether speakers are marketed as nearfield monitors or as passive bookshelf speakers, the best practice is to toe them into them in toward the listening position setup roughly in an equilateral triangle, with the tweeters aimed at your ears, to get the best soundstage and imaging. Some speakers may have a wider sweet spot for soundstage and imaging which matters more when you have a bigger seating position (a couch) or have trouble properly positioning the speakers. Some speakers may indeed be better at soundstage and imagining than others, but that is not a generalizable characteristic that applies more to nearfield monitors or passive bookshelves.

I've never heard that about the "high frequencies" other than what I already told you about speakers being fatiguing, and that could apply to monitors or passive home audio speakers.

Finally, the Wharfedale Diamond series is a better class of speakers than anything Logitech makes. You might consider that people don't built home theater setups with Logitechs, but that they do with Wharfedale Diamonds. That ought tell you something about which are better for creating a better listening experience. If you don't like the Wharfedales as much, it will have nothing to do with any of this stuff that you are trying to discern, but purely based on your personal listening tastes. Demoing speakers is the only way to overcome that.

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #36 of 40
Finally, the Wharfedale Diamond series is a better class of speakers than anything Logitech makes. You might consider that people don't built home theater setups with Logitechs, but that they do with Wharfedale Diamonds. That ought tell you something about which are better for creating a better listening experience. If you don't like the Wharfedales as much, it will have nothing to do with any of this stuff that you are trying to discern, but purely based on your personal listening tastes. Demoing speakers is the only way to overcome that.

That is not a question. But while the cheapest 5.1 system will give you the sound from behind your head, even a pair of Nautilus speakers will not. Simple as that. And I was only referring to this mentioning that sound positioning is very important to me. I have a HT setup in the other room, with front sitting 2,5 metres from each other and the soundstage is perfect there. Obviously, the speakers themselves are also much bigger than the Diamonds.

I am currently negotiating a pair of slightly used 220s and that would be a SWEET deal. While I was kind of leaning towards AV40s, their lifespan is widely believed to be around 1,5 years, which is a JOKE. Overheating issues, swelling capacitors, humming and so on, my previous cheap Logitechs served me 7 or 8 years before being sold further without any issues.

One more thing. Wharfedale states recommended amplifier power as 25 - 100W and 220s as "8 Ohm compatible". TP21 is rated 13.6W @8 Ohm and 24.3W @4 Ohm. Wouldn't that be a problem?

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #37 of 40
One more thing. Wharfedale states recommended amplifier power as 25 - 100W and 220s as "8 Ohm compatible". TP21 is rated 13.6W @8 Ohm and 24.3W @4 Ohm. Wouldn't that be a problem?

Those recommendations are not assuming near field usage, where the speakers don't have to reach the same volume at the listening position. Now if you are expecting them to get super loud, that might not happen.

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #38 of 40
After rethinking possibilities - I could buy a used amplifier and it can be wide and deep, but the height would be limited to around 10cm, that's 4 inches (with shelf above, so possibly nothing that could overheat easily) - any suggestions what to look for? Most amps are closer to 8 inches high...

Headphone out is a must - so e.g. Cambridge Audio A1 is out of question.

May 5, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #40 of 40
In the end I decided to go for active monitors - namely Swissonic ASM5:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/swissonic_asm5.htm

5.25" woofer, bi-amped, SNR >95 dB, front-firing BR, should be good :).

Of course, for a bit of convenience, I have to add Fostex PC-1 on top:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fostex_pc_1_volume_control.htm

I will think of some reasonable DAC to go along with those in the future. I'd need something with optical in and, preferably, balanced out (XLR/TRS). Volume adjustment and headphone out on top of that. And compact dimensions of course. Any ideas where shall I look? The cheaper, the better :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back