Another take on computer speakers (2.0, 4" - 5", 160 USD)
Apr 21, 2015 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

radosuaf

100+ Head-Fier
OK, quite recently I asked about computer speakers, but they had to be narrow... I ended up with Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 recommendation, but since they are basically unavailable in Europe, I got the T40s finally.
Well, I'm not really satisfied. There are songs when they sound REALLY good, but with some (first that comes to mind is Sepultura's "Roots Bloody Roots") that play just BAD, some are so-so... I am also not really fond of the mid-bass bump they have.
So... The idea was to go into more expensive small speakers (A2+, Focal XS Book and the likes) or... change my desk :D.

I will be changing my desk soon - it will still not be too big, so I wouldn't want to go over 5" woofers, 4" preferably. They will be used from a very small distance, around 60 - 70 cm (that's like 25 inches or so)

I would also rather get the 2.0 setup, if anything 2.1, then crossover should be 80 Hz maximum (usually it's well over 100 Hz). The budget would be around 160 USD. I'm looking for something available in EU. My findings so far:

a/ M-Audio AV40 (133 USD) - the classic, I like the headphone out on the front, dislike the rear power button, but basically these are OK, one concern is they would be close to the wall and they're rear-ported; what would be the minimum distance from the wall for them? amazon reviews point out reliability issues
b/ Samson MediaOne 4a (147 USD) - found reviews from Germany where they're regarded as better than AV40s, rear-ported, but the manual says 3" from the wall is enough, headphone out is there, power switch on the back; some reliability issues mentioned as well
c/ Edifier R1900T II (106 USD) - simply the biggest 2.0 Edifiers I can accomodate :), not much to be found about them, even the international Edifier page has the R1800T as the highest R1x00 model listed, claimed SNR >= 95 dB (!), claimed freq. response 46 Hz (!) - 20 kHz, no headphone out, which is bad
d/ Microlab Solo 4C (99 USD) - because Solo 6C are too big :), not much to be found about them, Microlab claims 80 dB SNR..., no headphone out
e/ Dayton B652 + Topping TP21 - TP21 because I want headphone out, this option is quite expensive, Daytons are 86 USD w/shipping, TP21 is 82 USD, which gives a total of 168 USD + potential warranty issues (both items shipped outside my country), problematic return
f/ SP-BS22-LR + Topping TP21 - way over the top, Pioneers are 213 USD w/shipping + TP21 for 82 USD gives 295 USD + again potential warranty issues, problematic return
g/ passive speakers + TP21 - speakers would have to be up to 99 USD

I'd like new equipment, for the opportunity to send it back if I don't like it. Any suggestions you may have?

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 40
I've never tried any of the above models, but I have some experience with larger speakers on desk (used to have Audioengine A5).
Basically, the biggest problem with larger speakers is positioning, since most of them will sound great objectively.

But rear-ported speakers can be a problem if you're short on space, since they almost REQUIRE at least 6 inches of breathing space behind the speakers otherwise bass performance or presentation generally suffers quite badly.

My only guidance is to either go with front-ported type speakers (since you said your desk space is small), or get more space for rear-ported ones. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 40
6" is fairly doable, while the desk will be not too big, I can still move it a few inches from the wall.

6" is more than enough, particularly since you should angle the speaker in toward the listening position, which gives the port more room to breath. The rule of thumb is a minimum of two or three times the width of the port. People put giant subwoofers with big ports that take in and discharge a lot of air 6" from a wall and don't have problems with port air movement restriction. ANY speaker can suffer bass response issues if placed too close to a wall, front port, rear port, or sealed speaker. I wouldn't worry about it because it sounds like you are restricted from a less than optimum setup anyway. Probably 4 or 5" will be fine.

Also, I wonder if it's a good idea to be looking roughly in the same price class as the T40s? All speakers will be flawed in your budget range. I would suggest you save a bit longer and make sure you are getting a substantial better speaker setup.

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 40
I recently got some T40s ,I don't use them for listening to music just watching the telly, but even 
just doing this they sound overly warm and bass heavy.

So I have the Bass at 10.30 o'clock and treble at 1 o'clock - this opens them up a bit and removes some nasty bass, thought there
is still a lot there.

I actually prefer the T10s!

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 40
I still would recommend you save a bit more. You have very good headphones and other good equipment. Why are you buying budget level speakers if you want good audio quality? The only way you might find something you like in that budget range is if you can go listen. The trick is finding the speakers with the flaws you can live with.

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 40
Here's one more suggestion since you are the UK. Look for some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 or 10.1 passive speakers. Maybe you can find some used.

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 40
Also, I wonder if it's a good idea to be looking roughly in the same price class as the T40s? All speakers will be flawed in your budget range. I would suggest you save a bit longer and make sure you are getting a substantial better speaker setup.

I suppose the main weakness of T40s is simply the woofer size. At 2.5" you cannot expect much. Simply going for 4" or 5" woofer will get the sound I will find acceptable. I guess. If not, I will simply return the speakers :).
If I had bigger budget, I wouldn't have to ask - I'd go for Wharfedale Diamond 220 + Topping TP21 :).

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 40
Diamond 9.1: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wharfedale-Diamond-Speakers-Pair-Walnut/dp/B0019410ZK/.

Pair it with the Lepai LP-2020A + http://www.amazon.co.uk/LP-2020A-Lepy-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B009G0RK26/

That would be a good setup. It's an older model, but good speaker. Here's a review: http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1105wharfedale/

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 40
I live in Poland. Shipping would kill me. What I can get is Diamonds 10.0.

LP-2020A does not have a headphone out. Not that I use it too often, but I would like to have it.

EDIT: OK, I could possibly get 9.1s from Germany, which would cost me ~177 USD.

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #11 of 40
Sorry. I don't know why I was thinking UK :xf_eek:

Have you looked at the used passive speaker market? Probably your best bet for best value.

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #12 of 40
I do not feel adventurous enough to go used - besides, when you buy used and don't like the sound, the only possibility is to sell again...

9.1s don't look bad, but the dimensions... Are they OK for near field?

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 40
I do not feel adventurous enough to go used - besides, when you buy used and don't like the sound, the only possibility is to sell again...

10 year old passive speakers could easily have decades left in them. You buy used where you can demo them.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 40

10 year old passive speakers could easily have decades left in them. You buy used where you can demo them.

+1
Speakers just keep going for decades.
Just make sure the 'foam surrounds' are not foam, but rubber. 

I've been through a bunch of vintage and less vintage speakers until I found a set I really liked, since they're so cheap to pick up and you lose next to nothing selling them on again. 
Well, some I got so cheap I gave them away to friends.

The only trouble I ever had with old speakers was one set of 1980's Jamo's I got for free, I had to spend 20 euros repairing the rotten foam surrounds.
Totally worth it though, used them for about 3 years without a hiccup but now they're looking for a new home. 

Only problem is finding space for an amp 
rolleyes.gif
 (some 80's amps are so cheap, when they die, you just buy a new one)

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 40
+1
Speakers just keep going for decades.

Just make sure the 'foam surrounds' are not foam, but rubber. 

I've been through a bunch of vintage and less vintage speakers until I found a set I really liked, since they're so cheap to pick up and you lose next to nothing selling them on again. 
Well, some I got so cheap I gave them away to friends.

The only trouble I ever had with old speakers was one set of 1980's Jamo's I got for free, I had to spend 20 euros repairing the rotten foam surrounds.
Totally worth it though, used them for about 3 years without a hiccup but now they're looking for a new home. 

Only problem is finding space for an amp :rolleyes:  (some 80's amps are so cheap, when they die, you just buy a new one)

I think that was mainly a problem with foam and rubber surrounds in the 70s and 80s, wasn't it? That's why I suggested 10 year old speakers. I think the mainstream manufacturers stopped using the surround materials that were liable to rot out, but I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back