Another record cleaning thread
Aug 21, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on my own listening, the benefits of expensive record cleaners are overrated in the high end mags.

I'll second that. I know a lot of major record collectors, and most of them hand wash their records. Barry Hansen (Dr Demento) washes his collection in his kitchen sink.

See ya
Steve

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #18 of 31
Soft terry towel. Paper towel is abrasive and drip dry leaves watermarks.

See ya
Steve

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on my own listening, the benefits of expensive record cleaners are overrated in the high end mags.

This may be true. But after hand washing and hand drying for a long time, and now hand washing and vacuum drying, I will say in my experience, vacuum drying makes a big difference. So, the least expensive method of vacuum drying is probably worth the investment in terms of sound, depending on how sensitive you are to pops and crackles. If the sound isn't bothering you washing and drying by hand, then why get a better system. It really boils down to how much you listen to vinyl (for me its 95% of time) and how revealing your system is.

The VPI is expensive, but when your buying dollar records, it pays for itself rather quickly - trust me.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #21 of 31
I just bought one of them KAB cleaning systems based on the suggestion by Palantiri7. Thanks for the idea.

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll second that. I know a lot of major record collectors, and most of them hand wash their records. Barry Hansen (Dr Demento) washes his collection in his kitchen sink.

See ya
Steve

Most "Collectors" I know never listen to their records, they just collect.

Aug 21, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfyWolf Von Wolfenstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought one of them KAB cleaning systems based on the suggestion by Palantiri7. Thanks for the idea.

Wow, thanks. Now we'll all know who to blame if it doesn't work.
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most "Collectors" I know never listen to their records, they just collect.

This is an endless subject for discussion... But in a nutshell, I have identified thee types of collectors, "accumulators", "completists" and "discerners". An accumulator is a vacuum cleaner- excited about the subject and buying up everything he can find, casting a wide net for whatever is available. Completists take one sub category and buy everything on the list- good, bad and indifferent. Discerners will pick and choose from various categories, selecting just the best of the best of a wide variety of stuff.

Of those three types, completists are the least likely to play all their records. To them it's more like a stamp album. Discerners are the most likely to play all their records, because they chose the records they chose for a reason other than just buying records.

See ya
Steve

Aug 22, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

This is an endless subject for discussion... But in a nutshell, I have identified thee types of collectors, "accumulators", "completists" and "discerners". An accumulator is a vacuum cleaner- excited about the subject and buying up everything he can find, casting a wide net for whatever is available. Completists take one sub category and buy everything on the list- good, bad and indifferent. Discerners will pick and choose from various categories, selecting just the best of the best of a wide variety of stuff.

Of those three types, completists are the least likely to play all their records. To them it's more like a stamp album. Discerners are the most likely to play all their records, because they chose the records they chose for a reason other than just buying records.

See ya
Steve

It appears you've given this a lot of thought, lol! I suppose I'm a "Discerner in training."
beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #26 of 31
One thing I forgot to add... all three categories think that they are discerners!

See ya
Steve

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #27 of 31
what if I think I'm all three categories?

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

See ya
Steve

I think I run into your completists at the record shows around here. The mostly care how the cover looks. Some of the sellers have a turntable available...usually a plastic child's toy meant for 45's!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I had a table a at the shows a couple times and couldn't convince not 1 person to buy even a simple carbon fiber record brush.
I thought a record show would have been the prime place to sell record care accessories, but didn't sell a thing!
Who would have guessed?

(I sell tons on eBay however
tongue.gif
)

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #29 of 31
Was shopping for a RCM, but I have to say thankyou, I now know what to call myself now "A DISCERNER"
biggrin.gif
!
Like the comment about all 3 types thinking they're discerners too, etc, etc,
But hey, wasn't this a thread about RCMs?
Looks like I'll get a VCI too.

Quote:

See ya
Steve

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #30 of 31
Surprised no one had mentioned the Knosti Disco cleaning machine. It has really good reviews and is relatively cheap. I'm buying one next month. Next month for me is vinyl mod month. I'm getting the Knosti, the Funk Achromat, a Record clamp and and s TT support.

It never ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back