Another record cleaning thread
Aug 17, 2008 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
I know how important it is to clean your records if you get them used. Historically, I have scraped by using commercial cleaning sprays and microfiber cloths. It works o.k., but it's far from ideal.

Although I'm not crazy about laying down big bucks for a record cleaning machine, the convenience factor is appealing. For those that have gone this route, how does the VPI machine compare to the Nitty Gritty (both auto and manual)? I'm leaning toward the VPI, but my wallet is leaning toward Disc Doctor brushes and fluids.

Thanks.

Aug 17, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 31
I have the vpi rcm and like it very much, although it is noisy. I haven't tried a Nitty Gritty, but my understanding is that with them you don't manually scrub the record. Not having that convenience is not an issue for me, but it might be for you. I see used RCMs come up for sale on Audiogon fairly frequently, which is something to consider if your budget is being stretched. My impression (and I imagine some will disagree) is that both machines do an equally good job.

I use and like the Disc Doctor brushes. Replacing the brush surface is easy. For fluid, I make my own, using the recipe found on the Library of Congress thread. The LOC is charged with the responsibility of preserving American recordings for posterity. My standard is no higher than theirs. Extremely inexpensive once you get set up. Here is a link to the LOC, which has some very good information in addition to the recipe: Cylinder, Disc and Tape Care in a Nutshell (Preservation, Library of Congress) Good luck!

Aug 17, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 31
Had a Nitty Gritty once upon a time and now have a VPI. I'd never ever consider going back, but if it's all you can afford, it's better than doing it manually.

Interesting thing, if you scroll down to the LOC link zipdisk provided they give links to:
DiscWasher, Nitty Gritty, VPI, and LAST.

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 31
I use a VPI as well, and the Disc Doctor brushes. I find that cleaning the album by hand with the brushes and the appropriate fluid, you have better control of actually getting it clean. The VPI is really just the platter to do the cleaning, and the mechanism for the 'drying' part of the process. It is more than drying though because it does extract the dirty fluid from the surface, which is the key. It is always quite satisfying to empty the VPI and see the murky fluid that comes out. Every time I see what was removed, I know my stylus, and my ears, are happy that I took the time to do it.

I do a three step process with deep cleaner/alcohol first, super cleaner second, and then distilled water rinse (using a separate brush and vacuum wand for the final rinse). Air dry in a dish rack and then insert into a new inner sleeve. I also have a second cork mat that I put down after cleaning side 1, so the newly cleaned side rests on a clean mat when you flip the album.

I used to be a skeptic about the benefits of using a VPI until I actually started using one, and now I'd never turn back. I've transformed many 30 to 50 year old albums into pristine looking vinyl that is close to dead silent. If the album was played for too many years with a worn stylus, it won't help much. Provided the album wasn't trashed, but it has 40 years of grime worked into the grooves, it can end up like new.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 31
Dumb question: is there an attachment to use a regular vacuum cleaner on records?

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 31
Thanks for the suggestions.

Aug 19, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palantiri7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try the KAB-EV 1 record cleaner (requiring an external vacuum cleaner) listed on the KAB website.

KAB ELECTRO - ACOUSTICS * * * HTTP://WWW.KABUSA.COM

I have read good things about it, but I haven't tried it myself.

Oh cool! a record cleaner I can afford.
wink.gif
But doesn't the water go into your vacuum and destroy it? Has anyone here used one of these?

Aug 19, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfyWolf Von Wolfenstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh cool! a record cleaner I can afford.
wink.gif
But doesn't the water go into your vacuum and destroy it? Has anyone here used one of these?

Wet/Dry shop Vac.
About $30 at Sears. You needed one anyway to sweep out the car, right?

Aug 19, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wet/Dry shop Vac.
About $30 at Sears. You needed one anyway to sweep out the car, right?

Yeah, that's a good idea but the site says not to use one as they are too strong. *sigh*

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 31
Shouldn't be too much of a problem if you're using the right amount of fluid, honestly.

You're only putting a few drops on the record, and most any vacuum can handle that. You should probably try not to clean all your records on the same day, though.

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 31
Giving the record a thorough rinse after vacuuming off the cleaning solution - which I recommend - means a lot more water may get thrown around. With my EV1, the water starts visibly getting into the vacuum cleaner after about 3-4 records. But I'm also using the Audio Intelligent 2-step process, which means I'm submerging each side in liquid three times, so I might be an exceptional case.

That said, my wife hated that vacuum anyway, so we just took some wedding gift certificates and bought a Dyson, so the old vacuum is dedicated to vinyl duty. Problem solved.

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfyWolf Von Wolfenstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that's a good idea but the site says not to use one as they are too strong. *sigh*

The little ones aren't that powerful, I'm sure it would be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back