Another question re amp for HD 600
Nov 14, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
Even order harmonics as a reason tubes sound different is speculation. No one has ever determined why tube amps sound different / better or whatever.

I disagree, these things have been extensively studied and are pretty well known.
Quote:

The original topic was you dont hear drastic differences in amps and that was what I commented on. I do.

Great, I'm not saying you don't. I'm saying I don't. I hear relatively subtle differences between properly designed amps that are made to pass the signal with as little coloration as possible.
Quote:

One last point if we are going to speculate, many in the recording fields believe tubes add harmonics back in that are lost during the recording process; thus making the sound more lifelike and closer to the original not less so.

Gotta admit I've never heard that one before... interesting. Not sure how certain harmonics would be lost during the recording process (since they're all in the audio range and would be picked up just fine by mics) or how the tube gear would "know" which harmonics to put back, but interesting anyway.

Nov 14, 2003 at 2:13 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Amps shouldn't be tone control.

So shouldn't be the headphones or the source to begin with.

An amp isn't a "straightwire with amplification". That's why you should carefully associate all your elements in order to get high fidelity. Cables matching included. And even then, what's the exact fidelity to the recording ? Between the HD600 school, the CD3000 school, the old grado school, that's already 3 ways to define hifi at a decent price range. I'm not even speaking of the stax. Associating those "neutral amps with flat response" you seem to love Fewtch with any pair of cans, you could end up getting garbage. I'd qualify high fidelity by a minimum of things to achieve : decent details extraction, decent soundstage, decent tempo, decent tone balance and so on. Once those basic criteria are met, well, it's up to you to define what you look for.

I stopped dreaming about a system showing me purely what's on the record. Now I follow what my ears love. It's perhaps not hifi according to you but at least it's "magical" (as a 5 years old kid told me a few days ago).

Nov 14, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
So shouldn't be the headphones or the source to begin with.

An amp isn't a "straightwire with amplification". That's why you should carefully associate all your elements in order to get high fidelity. Cables matching included.

Or commit a sin and put a graphic or parametric equalizer in there (preferably a digital one, before the signal hits the DAC) and get any matching effect you like. But that's a "religious" issue...
Quote:

I stopped dreaming about a system showing me purely what's on the record. Now I follow what my ears love. It's perhaps not hifi according to you but at least it's "magical" (as a 5 years old kid told me a few days ago).

Euphony is important, for sure. I don't hold it 100% like you are saying (I think?), since ears are brainless and wallets are limited. If anything, "perfect euphony" is even more a dream than getting a true picture of the recording or the music -- what one's ears love is likely to change over time, and in very expensive ways. But enjoy...

Nov 14, 2003 at 2:56 PM Post #19 of 23
I'd go with the headroom little because it fits every quality you've listed, and it doesn't sound boomy. Lots of the cheaper (sub $500) tube amps sounded downright muddy and had thick boomy bass with the HD600s to the point it was nauseating. If you want bass control and articulation and lots of air for classical I'd stick with the headroom little. Plus you can upgrade it if you desire in the future, and it comes with crossfeed (which is PERFECT for classical recordings).

CHeers,
Geek

Nov 14, 2003 at 3:00 PM Post #20 of 23
I admit digital equalizer don't touch the sound too much. But they are extremely limited in application. You can rework the frequencies balance with them but not all the rest : tempo, soundstage,...

Actually, i think it's easier to match amps - source - heaphones rather than introduce a new element in the chain.

Yeah, wallets are limited... I know it too well.
frown.gif

Nov 14, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #22 of 23
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I do not have the opportunity to compare the various amps
frown.gif
So, it is going to be difficult to make a decision in the end....
confused.gif

Nov 14, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #23 of 23
That's part of the fun and what makes this a hobby. You do a bunch of reading on the different amps, and decide which one interests you most and give it a try. If you buy it used, and you don't like it, you can turn around and sell it for about the same amount you paid, so you're probably just out shipping on it. Then you try something else. OTOH, if you love the first amp you get then you are set. But, eventually, there will be something else that piques your curiosity if you keep hanging around here and the cycle begins anew! That's the reason for the "Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet" greeting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back