[Another Poll] A new set of earbuds to vote on.
Jul 14, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 15
glad you decided to go down a higher end route!
Soon you will hate your vmoda as much as me!
I went for some shure se530's and some ue triple fi 10's!
Hurry fast mr postman!
LOL

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earbuds don't go in the ears. The ones you refer to are canalphones (fine line of difference - but this is head-fi)

And European football is called soccer here.

Earbuds have always been called earbuds, the ones that go into the ear. headphones are typically seen as over-the ear. However, for the sake of harmony, I'll refer to earbuds as either earphones or canalphones.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earbuds have always been called earbuds, the ones that go into the ear. headphones are typically seen as over-the ear. However, for the sake of harmony, I'll refer to earbuds as either earphones or canalphones.

If you have the time, I'll suggest a read on my IEM guide (link in my signature). In any case, I like to think the guide will make you transition to higher end IEM a bit easier. G'day.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have the time, I'll suggest a read on my IEM guide (link in my signature). In any case, I like to think the guide will make you transition to higher end IEM a bit easier. G'day.

Thanks for the info. I do, however know the difference between the two styles of earb...erm...headphones...in question.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just believe in keeping things as simple as possible and that's basically what a dealer would do to keep the clutter down. They would lump the in-ear headphones with the much more popular earbuds knowing full well that someone wanting a canalphone will go to the earbud section.

I like to keep things simple rather than seeming stuffy and uppety with my use of technical jargon that just isn't necessary other than to appeal to a sense of right and wrong. A person looking for a Shure C5E will know where to find it. The section doesn't need to be labeled "canalphones". When I speak of an in-ear headphone and do an analysis on one, I point out, firstly the brand name and model number. Anyone being interested in the product based on what I've said about it will research it and probably won't care too much whether it's an earbud or canalphone based on what was said about. If the earbud produces an excellent sound quality across the whole spectrum of audio, they will research based on that rather than it being labeled a canalphone or otherwise. The reason being, a mass market style earbud, the ones that sit in the ear without sealing the ear, will not produce a quality sound. If a quality sound is being spoken of, it is natural to assume this replies to a high quality type earbud...a canalphone.

As far as I'm concerned there's only one type of earbud, the canalphone type. The others are non-existent to me. Why give an illegitimate headphone like the in-ear-but-unsealing type any legitimacy with its own category. The industry needs to push out the unsealing kind.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I do, however know the difference between the two styles of earb...erm...headphones...in question.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just believe in keeping things as simple as possible and that's basically what a dealer would do to keep the clutter down. They would lump the in-ear headphones with the much more popular earbuds knowing full well that someone wanting a canalphone will go to the earbud section.

I like to keep things simple rather than seeming stuffy and uppety with my use of technical jargon that just isn't necessary other than to appeal to a sense of right and wrong. A person looking for a Shure C5E will know where to find it. The section doesn't need to be labeled "canalphones". When I speak of an in-ear headphone and do an analysis on one, I point out, firstly the brand name and model number. Anyone being interested in the product based on what I've said about it will research it and probably won't care too much whether it's an earbud or canalphone based on what was said about. If the earbud produces an excellent sound quality across the whole spectrum of audio, they will research based on that rather than it being labeled a canalphone or otherwise. The reason being, a mass market style earbud, the ones that sit in the ear without sealing the ear, will not produce a quality sound. If a quality sound is being spoken of, it is natural to assume this replies to a high quality type earbud...a canalphone.

As far as I'm concerned there's only one type of earbud, the canalphone type. The others are non-existent to me. Why give an illegitimate headphone like the in-ear-but-unsealing type any legitimacy with its own category. The industry needs to push out the unsealing kind.

Sorry, I love the Yuin PK1 & PK2 "earbuds", I believe every earbud has a right to exist.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I love the Yuin PK1 & PK2 "earbuds", I believe every earbud has a right to exist.

ATH-CM700Ti is another great example, they can easily compete with the finest IEMs.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 15
My 2p: Buy Yuin OK1. you'll be a very very happy puppy.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 2p: Buy Yuin OK1. you'll be a very very happy puppy.

Those look very interesting, kind of like the Sony MDR85's. I'm always willing to try new stuff but sheesh! $230? A little too rich for me. If I had that much to spend on some buds I'd go for the UE 5 Pros or the Klipsch Image...more than likely the Image.

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 15
A simpler naming system is of course better for the consumer, but not necessary on Head-fi. The reason is, our forum has a very fast post/bump rate and thread can easily be pushed to the 2nd / 3rd page w/o getting any useful reply. Members often do not have time to check the detail of the thread and will mostly skip those with cryptic/unfamiliar title. Isn't it strike you odd that we are in the 2nd page of this thread now but most posts are earbud instead of canalphone related? Just a thought.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

And European football is called soccer here.

I see what you mean, just trying to justify what the person above said.

Anyway, I haven't tried any of the canalphones in question, but there is a massive thread on Denon C700 (same as the C751, but without the case, so the sound quality/etc will be the same) which you can read. They seem to be favoured over the other choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back