Another "pick me canal phones" thread
Sep 23, 2007 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
My Creative EP-630s just stopped working in one ear. They were great, and they're about a year old. Not too bad given their price. I might be able to fix them, it's just the plug, but the wires are so small, so hard to solder.

So anyway, I need new canal phones. Here's what i've had before and what I thought about them:
- EX71: great, love them, especially the Y cord. I'd like a bit more detail and less bloated bass. Very comfortable.
- EP630: very good, very comfortable, needs a little more detail. Bass is good.
- Super.Fi 5 Pro: fantastic detail, bass fairly weak and not so deep or strong to my ears. Comfort's ok.
- Shure E3: terrible highs and poor detail.

So, anyone have any suggestions for me? Apparently the high end canal phones don't work for me, I prefer semi-isolated and comfortable rubber tips.

Sep 23, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi comando , you can try ath ck7 and eq them abit. I have yet heard a better canalphone at ck7's pricerange.

Sep 23, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 9
The new Senn. CX400 will be a good choice. Most reviews say it is more balanced than CX300. MylarOne X3/XB should also be considered too.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks guys. CX400 seems new and unavailable in New Zealand or Audiocubes at the moment. ATH CK7 gets pretty mixed reviews. I'm happy to hear other suggestions too
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 9
Maybe d-JAYS? I'll recommend them here because you say you dont like high-end isolation tips, but the d-JAYS are as unobtrusive as they get and are very easy to insert.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 9
If you dont like the E2C's, forget about the CK7s. They have the same characteristics, cold and analytical feeling.

I would recommend what Im using at the moment, a pair of Victor (JVC) FX-77s.
They have a good amount of bass, and the mids and highs are well rendered as well. Ive also heard a lot of good things about the Crossroad X3/XBs, give those a look as well.

Sep 23, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. CX400 seems new and unavailable in New Zealand or Audiocubes at the moment. ATH CK7 gets pretty mixed reviews. I'm happy to hear other suggestions too
smily_headphones1.gif

Headphonic already have it in stock, but not cheap (as is every headphones in Aussies' land).

Sep 23, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe d-JAYS? I'll recommend them here because you say you dont like high-end isolation tips, but the d-JAYS are as unobtrusive as they get and are very easy to insert.

Ok cool, thanks. How about the v-moda ones? There was a lot of interest in them recently here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you dont like the E2C's, forget about the CK7s. They have the same characteristics, cold and analytical feeling.

I would recommend what Im using at the moment, a pair of Victor (JVC) FX-77s.
They have a good amount of bass, and the mids and highs are well rendered as well. Ive also heard a lot of good things about the Crossroad X3/XBs, give those a look as well.

Can't find the JVC ones
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphonic already have it in stock, but not cheap (as is every headphones in Aussies' land).

Cheers, not too expensive but i'm not sure I like the thing on the cord.

Ok, so Crossroads X3/XB (XB = extra bass?), D-Jays, or V-Moda? Anyone care to recommend one of them based on my preferences above? Thanks for all the help so far!

Oh and if anyone wants to do reviews of canal phones for headphonereviews.org just click below and send 'em in! It'd be great to have more canal phone reviews. If the headphones you want to review don't exist yet just add 'em and do your review, no waiting required
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back