Another one from the Hippo family: Pearl
Dec 9, 2009 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DigDub

Headphoneus Supremus
the Hippo Pearl. got it for SGD$40 from Jaben.
dsc00856sp.jpg

so how different is this from the VB, Shroom, and Boom? read on to find out!

Packaging:
it comes in similar packaging as with the Shroom, transparent plastic box. it comes with a velvet drawstring pouch and 3 pairs of small, medium and large sized rubber sleeves. the sleeves come in red and blue colour only, which is meant to indicate left and right on the iem. if you prefer good old classic black sleeves, you can fit on generic rubber sleeves as the canal tube is of generic size. i have fitted the sony silicone tips like in the picture above.

Build:
the body is made of metal, while the canal tube portion is made of plastic. unlike the VB, there is now a piece of cloth covering the canal hole. the body itself is not as long as the VB, so it sits flushed against the ear more, which means lying sideways is not a major problem. the plug is exactly the same as the VB, which is right angled and gold plated.

Sound:
this will come as good news for those who find the VB overly bright. the Pearl rarely sounds sibilant or overly bright, unless the singer purposely emphasizes S and T sounds, sibilance remains very well under control.

the highs are present and crisp. hi-hats and cymbals are present, without me having to listen out for them. as a point of reference, when i tried the nuforce ne6, i had to 'find' the hi-hats in certain music. with the Pearl, it is just there.

mids are present as well. i feel the mids are more forward than the VB, and a bit more in the background as compared to the Shroom, so its a middle ground. vocals comes across as very natural without sounding nasal or constrained.

there is a large amount of bass, both in depth and quantity. the bass holds up pretty well without breaking up, even for songs that has pretty low bass. the bass impact is also very great. bassheads will love the bass on the Pearl. the bass may be a tad too overpowering for some though, as it does occasionally takes centerstage in bass heavy tracks and draws attention away from the mids and highs.

the soundstage is very good as well, both sides and front back.

overall, i would say that the Pearl has a fun-sounding and warm signature. it is good for bass lovers who do not want to sacrifice the mids and highs. compared to the Boom, the Boom has a lot of boomy bass and recessed highs and mids, which makes it sounds dark. the Pearl has much better highs and mids, and does not sound as veiled. for people who likes the analytical sounds like ety, this is probably not for you.

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by archimeaties /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why can't I see the Pearl or Epic on the Jaben site?

I see them "on site", not "on website" :p made my 2nd trip there several days ago. what a treasure hole (wallet fireplace though)

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 15
hi digdub korkor

@archi: perhaps it was released too soon before they could update it? its the holiday season down here now so I guess they might be pretty swamped

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 15
Hi,

In the photo, there is a seam around the earphone body, and a glossy droplet close to the center. Is that adhesive? If it's so, does the earphone feel flimsy since it's glued?

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by geralt_ll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

In the photo, there is a seam around the earphone body, and a glossy droplet close to the center. Is that adhesive? If it's so, does the earphone feel flimsy since it's glued?

i think its super glue. it does feel pretty solid though.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 15
lol at the superglue being visible >< anyway i did prefer jaben go with crossroad than hippo, crossroad iems do look far better

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Hippo Pearl. got it for SGD$40 from Jaben.

so how different is this from the VB, Shroom, and Boom? read on to find out!

Packaging:
it comes in similar packaging as with the Shroom, transparent plastic box. it comes with a velvet drawstring pouch and 3 pairs of small, medium and large sized rubber sleeves. the sleeves come in red and blue colour only, which is meant to indicate left and right on the iem. if you prefer good old classic black sleeves, you can fit on generic rubber sleeves as the canal tube is of generic size. i have fitted the sony silicone tips like in the picture above.

Build:
the body is made of metal, while the canal tube portion is made of plastic. unlike the VB, there is now a piece of cloth covering the canal hole. the body itself is not as long as the VB, so it sits flushed against the ear more, which means lying sideways is not a major problem. the plug is exactly the same as the VB, which is right angled and gold plated.

Sound:
this will come as good news for those who find the VB overly bright. the Pearl rarely sounds sibilant or overly bright, unless the singer purposely emphasizes S and T sounds, sibilance remains very well under control.

the highs are present and crisp. hi-hats and cymbals are present, without me having to listen out for them. as a point of reference, when i tried the nuforce ne6, i had to 'find' the hi-hats in certain music. with the Pearl, it is just there.

mids are present as well. i feel the mids are more forward than the VB, and a bit more in the background as compared to the Shroom, so its a middle ground. vocals comes across as very natural without sounding nasal or constrained.

there is a large amount of bass, both in depth and quantity. the bass holds up pretty well without breaking up, even for songs that has pretty low bass. the bass impact is also very great. bassheads will love the bass on the Pearl. the bass may be a tad too overpowering for some though, as it does occasionally takes centerstage in bass heavy tracks and draws attention away from the mids and highs.

the soundstage is very good as well, both sides and front back.

overall, i would say that the Pearl has a fun-sounding and warm signature. it is good for bass lovers who do not want to sacrifice the mids and highs. compared to the Boom, the Boom has a lot of boomy bass and recessed highs and mids, which makes it sounds dark. the Pearl has much better highs and mids, and does not sound as veiled. for people who likes the analytical sounds like ety, this is probably not for you.

So it almost seems like these are better than the VB's? Similar bass with smoother mid and treble?

I use the medium bass disc on the VB's is the bass for the pearl's more or less then that?

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the vb sounds more balanced. the pearl is really more for the bassheads.

Would you say they're both equally detailed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back