Another #!&% Noob with a Question
Feb 18, 2009 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Nestor

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sure you all get this all the time, but I need help choosing a new pair of headphones. After a couple weeks of lurking around the forums here and learning as much as I could, I've decided to finally put my question to everyone here.
For the last three years, I've been the happy owner of a pair of PX100's, but now the left ear is starting to cut out on me, and they need replacing. I've considered several pairs, and even tried out some of them (I have a short list below).

Headphones I'm Considering -
AKG K240
AKG K99
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Sennheiser HD555
Denon D1001
Beyerdynamic DT440
Grado SR60
Alessandro MS-1
JVC HARX700
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Audio-Technica ATH-ES7

A long list, I know. But, I figured I'd take every possible choice into account. I should also mention that I LOVE the K240's, except for their lack of bass; and hate Sony MDR-7506's for sounding, for lack of a better word, hollow. Lastly, here's a shortish list of what I want to get out of my new cans.

-Between $50-$150 (Preferably under $100)
-Either enclosed or open, doesn't matter
-Must be comfortable for at least an hour of use with glasses
-I would highly prefer not having to buy an amp
-Will be used mostly with a 6.5g iPod using lossless
-Will be used with all kinds of music, but mostly alt. rock

That's about it. I appreciate any and all advice you can give me. Thanks!

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 14
That IS a long list. You'll be happy with D1001, but then you'll be happy with a LOT of these cans. Think about the closed/open issue a bit and try to come up with a preference.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 14
Um, I've heard the K240s are pretty bassy, in that case I'd recommend the DT770 or A500 blue-tacked. The DT770 doesn't need an amp, but benefits from it. Blue-tacking significantly improved the A500 and tunable to your sound preferences to an extent. They're pretty good for rock once modded, there are better options for rock but not all around headphones. I'd wait for the A500's prices to drop though.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think about the closed/open issue a bit and try to come up with a preference.

Considering that I already have a pair of CX300's for when I need some peace and quiet, and that opens tend to sound better, I'd have to say that I'd probably rather have an open pair.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 14
I'd probably go with the SR80 (since the 80 is a step up from the 60 and its still slightly under $100). You aren't going to beat it, IMHO, for rock music under $100. If I didn't need to buy both an open and closed set, I'd have stepped up to the SR80 (or maybe stretched into an SR225).

BTW, I bought the Denon AHD1001's as my closed 'phone, which are also on your list. I also love them, and if you're looking for a touch more bass, they're a great phone.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 14
Back out and away from the AKG K99's. I made that mistake and I never will again. Returned them in the end (2 days later) and I settled on a sleek ol' Beyer DT770. Although, I just noticed you're not gonna get an amp, so maybe you should go w/ a Sennheiser or Grado low impedance, but less bass for the most part. ES7's a little risky though because there are too many fakes. Maybe you should go with Beats by Dr. Dre if you're going ampless. A little (Understatement, sorry) over but it's (not really worth it, but fits your criteria...)

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 14
Out of the list, I've heard HD555/SR60/ES7 and these are all great headphones.

- HD555 for good all-round sound, a little polite but good soundstage. good for all kinds of genres, movies, games etc.
- SR60(/80?) excels in music, mostly rock en uptempo stuff, forward sound but little soundstage. (I went for SR125 for a bit better bass and the 1/4" plug. the MS1 is said to be closest to SR125)
- ES7 is like a closed Grado with a forward sound and a bit bigger bass. Very fun headphone. Not really comfortable. ES7 fakes are not a problem if you buy from a decent store... anything below $100 is most probably fake.

I did have an K271S (I don't know how it compares to K240 btw) and it really had little bass, what was there was clean though. Very nice mids and detailed sound and great isolation. Highly enjoys an amp...

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should go with Beats by Dr. Dre if you're going ampless. A little (Understatement, sorry) over but it's (not really worth it, but fits your criteria...)

How exactly does it fit any of his criteria?

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure you all get this all the time, but I need help choosing a new pair of headphones. After a couple weeks of lurking around the forums here and learning as much as I could, I've decided to finally put my question to everyone here.

Headphones I'm Considering -

1. Sennheiser HD280 Pro

2. Beyerdynamic DT660

3. Grado SR60

4. Audio-Technica ATH-M50

-Between $50-$150 (Preferably under $100)
-Either enclosed or open, doesn't matter
-Must be comfortable for at least an hour of use with glasses
-I would highly prefer not having to buy an amp
-Will be used mostly with a 6.5g iPod using lossless
-Will be used with all kinds of music, but mostly alt. rock

That's about it. I appreciate any and all advice you can give me. Thanks!

I would first like to start this off by saying I am a complete noob, this is my first post after a month of searching.

My very first advice would be to go out and listen to your selection of headphones with your iPod. This will answer many of your needs (i.e. sound, comfort, no amp effect, closed/open, etc.). The advice I am giving you and the choics I have left in your list are based on my recent experience.

1. I tried these headphones on using the stores source (at one store) and using my iPod with no amp (at another store). Both times I was a little disappointed in the sound. It didn't offer as much bass as I wanted and sounded tinny.

2. I tried this model (not on your list) because it was reccommended by the sales person (he felt it was good to compare the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 [my eventual winner, sorry for the spoiler] to it). It offered a great sound, most comfortable out of all the headphones I tried, but didn't give me enough of an excuse to jump up to this price.

A side note: My search began because I was in pursuit of Denon D2000 and wanted to kow what $350 msrp headphones sounded like and if it is right for me.

3. I only got to try this through the first stores source and it was completly disappointing. I don't want to comment on the sound simply because I blame the source for the bad sound.

4. My clear winner. want to know how it sounds, how comfortable it is; go out and try it. (now selling for $100+ on eBay). I'm thinking of purchasing an amp for this, I didn't like the fact I had to raise the volume up so much to get it at listening levels. But the sound suited my needs and makes the purchase of an amp less immediate.

As you're reading this, you may not have found my post to be useful at first. My point is, what works for me may not work for you. I was ready to spend up to $250 and I was still thinking about getting an amp on top of that and a LOD for my iPhone (all things I discovered reading this forum), but having actually going out and trying out the headphones in the manner I plan on using it saved me money and helped me decide over the opinions of other forum members. Reason I joined the forum: it opens my eyes to what is out there and educates me in the world of Audiophile.

Sorry for the long winded post, I didn't think it would be this long.

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How exactly does it fit any of his criteria?

LOL...I've actually heard these before. I tried them out on my iPod last time I visited an Apple store. Probably the the most overpriced headphones I've ever heard.

And to Inkwell - I've tried out as many of these cans as I could find, but I'm having trouble tracking most of them down. I'm still not even sure if there's a Grado dealer in the city at all. I do have a good idea of what I like, though - PX100's. I really like the way the things sound, I just want an upgrade, and have been struggling to find anything with a similar response for high/mid/low.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for your help. I'm pretty much debating between MS-1's, D1001's, and some flavor of AudioTechnica (ATH-ES7, -M50, or -A500). Anyone know what kind of music each is good for?

And just out of curiosity, how would M-Audio Q40's rank in all of this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back