Another newbie, another headphone recommendation topic >_>
Jul 3, 2007 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

hauton

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi, been lurking the forums for a long time for advice and figured I might as well ask for it, lol

I've been using a pair of HD201s for the past two years or so and was looking to upgrade. It's been breaking apart due to heavy usage, that and the wires are sticking together in loops (why is that? is there any way to prevent/fix this?), so I thought I'd finally cough up the cash and move up the headphone food chain.

I'm an electronic fan, specifically I listen to the hard dance/NRG/hard trance subgroups. So I'm looking for a pair of cans that have bass and hit hard (sorry, I'm pretty bad at the "musical terms" deal) but can also produce the trance-y breakdowns that they build up to.

My budget is fairly low, as I'm a student that has no $$$ aside from loans and scholarships. I'll be using it on a PSP or my cheap laptop, with no amp. And I'll be using them on the move, so isolation would be nice (I don't care how I look with them though). Comfort isn't a huge deal as long as I can listen for an hour or so.

I've been looking at AKGs, specifically the K26 or the bigger brother K81/518DJs, but I was hoping if some of you experts could tell me if they would be suitable/whether others would be better.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 15
K81DJ's probably wouldn't do too bad for your guidelines since you definitely get hitting bass with them.

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 15
God, just when I thought I'd head out the door to finally snap up that pair of 81s, I realize the same vendor has a pair of Audio-Technica SJ5s for $38, as opposed to the $62.50 I was gonna drop for the AKGs.

As if I haven't done enough deliberating... -_-

Jul 4, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 15
I've scoured the threads for more information about the SJ5 (which seems extremely cheap compared to the prices elsewhere), but there's not much - how would they stack up against the K81s or the V6s?

Jul 4, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 15
V6's, K81DJ's, RP-21's

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 15
I'd say the ATH-5J5, really nice portable headphones. Isolation is good, just don't expect it to be as good as IEM.

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A pair of MS1 would fit your musical taste but they don't isolate.

The MS-1 will be too bass light, and doesn't really shine unless you're listening to something acoustic - it's just too airy and the bass is too lean to give electronic stuff the slam he's looking for. It's not bad by any stretch, but I think he can do better for his tastes.

I'd check out the Equation Audio RP-21, it's been getting rave reviews around here, and usually goes for under $100 US I think. I don't know much about the various AKG and A-T models, but the 81DJ seems to be kind of a mixed bag - I don't think I'd like it, but if you're willing to sacrifice clarity for bass it might work. Oh, and there's always the PX-100 - great portable with solid bass, I got mine for $40 shipped on Amazon and use them all the time. Good luck!

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the MS1 would do bad at all with hardcore techno.

It's not that it's bad, but it doesn't really play to the MS-1's strengths - airiness, clarity, and glorious highs. The impact is there, but the bass is really not exaggerated at all. I love my MS-1, but it's really not anything special for techno, so I think the OP can find something that better fits his taste.

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony MDR-7506/V6 also fits the bill. Cheap, bulletproof, and hard hitting bass.

You really can't go wrong with the V6 for $75... it sounds good with all music, it's neutral with a slight boost in bass and treble... MMmmm...

But remember, it's bulletproof. You can get it now and it'll last the rest of your life! I don't think most cans could take the kinda beating I've given them.

... and NO, it's definitely not really bulletproof, but I wouldn't be surprised if it *did* stop a bullet from goin' thru the side of my head!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back