Another new sennheiser headphone HD238 Precision
Nov 7, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #92 of 111
Everything distorts, not just the bass. If I play music at my normal levels, it just cant stand it. regardless of the amp I use.

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #95 of 111
at volumes lower than the distorting volumes, the bass overpowers everything which is why i need to turn them up. Turning them up makes them crap out. too bad. 50 more hours of burn in then i'll give up and sell them if that doesn't change.

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #96 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sensitivity/efficiency is clearly lower than that of the PX 100 – both being 32 ohm (another reason why I highly doubt they use the same drivers, apart from the blatant sonic difference) – and the PortaPro.

But the driver looks _exactly_ the same and sennheiser.com says nominal impedance and SPL are equal.
FR and THD is different due to the housing and the felt stuff around the driver, I guess.

edit:

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #97 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at volumes lower than the distorting volumes, the bass overpowers everything which is why i need to turn them up. Turning them up makes them crap out. too bad. 50 more hours of burn in then i'll give up and sell them if that doesn't change.

Have you tried the Astroid mod? Mine opened up when I applied the mod, and even when returning the foam back, distortions only happen in bassy tracks and under very high volumes. Try burning them in more or have them replaced. If the other unit's still like that, then you can get a better model.

***EDIT***

Try this - deliberately use bassy music and subwoofer test tracks in high volumes for a long period of time. Consider this as the HD 238's unique burn-in requirement. Mine after this procedure tightened up considerably in the bass, and distortion levels dropped to nearly a quarter than the initial, out-of-box sound. Please try it.

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #99 of 111
I was thinking that if they were a bad pair of headphones that the problem in the left and right driver wouldn't be identical. Unless sennheiser sends out matched pairs of damaged drivers with their cans
biggrin.gif
I think this is just the case of headphones can't stand donunus volumes syndrome. Recently though they have improved a little. I'll give them another 24 hour burn in stretch to see if there are any more improvements

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #100 of 111
Good to hear it. Give it one more chance, and if all else fails, have it replaced or just upgrade. The SRH 440's sound signature is almost like the HD 238 IMO, save for its less apparent bass.

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #105 of 111
I'm trying at the moment to sell my HD238 because I got the HD448 instead. Never having any open headphones before, I really didn't expect them to leak so much sound in and out. Too bad, I like almost everything about them.

Of course, I did a quick A/B test with the HD448 and the 238s are much more rough and unrefined, shrill even, against the smoothness of the HD448, while at the same time being more distant in the mids. Oh well, I really enjoyed them for 3 months or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back