Another ignorable request for comparisson: Wavelength Proton vs. DAC1
Oct 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

El Bishop

New Head-Fier
Looking to spend about $1,000 on a DAC/headphone amp combo for use with Macbook. There have been other threads in which people have offered suggestion for single units or combos at this price-point.

But I'm interested in the two mentioned in the subject. I've read the reviews at Stereophile and computer audio. Does anyone had the oppotunity to review the two side by side?

Thanks

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 11
There is a difference in both sound and configuration. On the latter point, the Proton is readily portable since the DAC runs off battery and is recharged via the USB. The Benchmark is configured in different ways but in one version serves as a preamp with multipe selectable inputs.

But you're asking about the sound. :)

I've listened to both at different times and places. I had already purchased the Proton before I had the chance to hear the Benchmark. But what I read about the two units in advance seemed to be validated after I had the chance to audition. Note, however that I already owned the Proton -- so I can't say if that swayed my impression. I think not -- as it would be easy to sell the Proton if I had really greatly preferred the Benchmark. To summarize, both are very good units and it will come down to your preferences as to which works best for you.

I would say with the Benchmark you have the experience of being able to hear very deep within the recording. You really hear everything and identify very small sonic differences with this unit. So, I think you would say this has great resolution. There's not an ounce of muddiness anywhere. It's quiet and is nicely designed.

With the Proton, I immediately liked the portable design and the way that Wavelength set up the physical volume control to follow the computer volume. The sound is attractive and full. I felt that the tonal quality of the music was immediate and present -- not at all distant. So this is quite an engaging unit. I listen to it for hours on end.

The sound of the Proton is clear but I don't think you get the same feeling of scientifically precise resolution that you get with the Benchmark. On the other hand -- I hate to say it this way -- with the Proton I feel like I'm getting more music out of it. Maybe it is that the midrange is particularly good -- or that the emphasis on carfully resolved highs is less. I'm not enough analytically minded (analytically eared?) to be able to give it to you in those terms.

You'll know already that the brands use a different approach to the USB interface. That also played a part in my decision -- but I'm not sure it should have. Also note that the Proton takes a good while to break in fully. But as I'm an AKG K-702 user, anything less than a century feels like short break in to me. :)

Nov 7, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 11
Flatmap, I just ordered a Proton today. No dealers around, so I had to purchase it sight unseen and unheard. How long do you think it needs to burn in? Are you happy with the amp, I noticed you are using it to drive K702's?

The plan is to use it as a portable dac/amp with a MacAir driving D7000's and HD25-1's. I have high expectations for the portable dac (asynchronous USB and all), but I haven't heard anything about the amp section, except that it's meant for headphones with impedance in the range 32 ohms to 300 ohms.

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 11
I have had the Proton for a week now so it is far from burned in. However, I thought that it sounded very nice out of the box and has already started to settle in. I am listening with the Grado HF2's and find it a very good pairing. Not directly helpful for your headphones but maybe good news that it appears to have synergy with quite a few phones. I could believe that it would not be a great match with high impedance phones. I listen at low volume and this is at about 40-50% with the Grados.

Maybe I just set expectations very low, but at this point am very pleasantly surprised. I have modded my D10 with Black Gates (fully burned in) and rolled the op amps to the latest and greatest. The Proton is just in a different league, both on the DAC and the amp. It is more than twice the price so it should be. I expect that this little unit will start to get some significant attention.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 11
Mikenyc, do you know the impedance of the HF2's? I just realized the D7000's is 25 ohms.

The Proton should arrive the end of this week, but I think I've been ruined. I ordered a Weiss DAC2 for a home setup, well, it arrived last week. The home amp hasn't arrived yet, so, not a big believer in delayed gratification, I setup the DAC in my office using a MacPro Firewire connection and a entry level NAD / PSB system. I've been listening for the last four days and all I can say is WOW. I've never been able to get a computer based system to sound so good and not for lack of trying.

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 11
The Benchmark is a studio tool designed to convert digital data into an analog audio signal that is as accurate and detailed a reflection of the original even as possible, for those who must hear everything, good and bad, on the recording. I haven't heard the Proton, but Wavelength builds audiophile components designed to "warm" the original digital recording into something more palatable to those who think that even excellent digital sounds "clinical."

They are barely in the same product category. I doubt that many have compared them side by side, and if they have, their understanding of the point would be suspect.

P

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 11
MikeLa,

The HF-2s are 32 ohms. The Weiss has a great reputation. I would not be surprised at all if it takes this up several notches. Looking forward to hearing your comparisons. For the money I spent, I am very pleased with the performance I am hearing. I actually think that sonically it sounds similar to the Lavry DA11 which I auditioned with my headphones for over an hour the week before I bought the Proton. I am not able to separate what SQ was due to DAC vs amps though. Not scientific at all, but did really like the Lavry as well. In terms of Firewire DACs, I am very intrigued by the Metric Halo's (ULN2 and 8). Some rave reviews on some other sites. Anyway, enjoy your DACs and please do not tempt me to buy that Weiss!!

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 11
Mikenyc,

Received the Proton today. I couldn't help myself, had to set it up in my office. Obviously I need to listen longer, but I'm surprised how good this Dac sounds. Out of the box, in my system and to my ears, it sounds better than the PS DLIII using an USB connection. The comparison is from last week's memory since I already have the DLIII boxed.

Well, off to the house to listen to the headphone out.

You should at least audition the Weiss
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 11
Sorry to be absent. Hope you guys totally enjoy your new DACs as much as I am.

In terms of the break in for the headphone outputs, well this takes quite a while. Maybe by March? I guess this will depend on how often you do headphone listening -- Gordon strongly recommends to NOT break in by continuously playing, but rather only use when you're using it.. whatever that schedule might be.

My experience is that the line out came into focus quite a bit sooner.

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 11
Flatmap, I agree with both your headphone and line out observations. D7000's still on the way, but the HD25-1's sound very good with the Proton, the Qualia's not so much, but the Weiss --> SPL Auditor --> Qualia010.... ahhhh.

When I first plugged the Qualia's into the Weiss/Auditor combination I wanted to sell the Qualia's. After 40hrs, the glare disappeared and the Qualia's started singing. Plugging them into the (back from repair) P500 powerplant may also have played a role.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 11
Flatmap, agree with the observation about the line out settling much quicker than the BGs on the amp. The problem is that I love the line out withmy EC/SS so much that I am not listening to the headphone out that much. I am following gordon's advise and at the current rate it would be years until I get those BGs broken in. Will need to break away from the line out and use that headphone amp more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back