Another headphone+amp synergy as good as HP-1+Melos?
Oct 18, 2002 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
I've heard much about the great synergy between the HP-1 and Melos, but is there another headphone+amp combo (it may include the HP-1) that has the same "wow" factor in a similar price range? Brainstorm time!

Thanks!

Regards, Luke

Oct 18, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 16
Hmm, hd600/blockhead?
biggrin.gif

Seriously, the first time I listened to it, I was floored. Everything was just there! The bass was stupendous. The mids natural, the highs detailed and extended. I mean, I felt like I was there.
eek.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the replies, guys, but I left out a crucial part in my first post; "in a similar price range." If you had known that you may not have responded as you did. In other words, I cannot afford a Blockhead!! Thus, I have edited my post above.

Oct 18, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 16
I'd say Melos-HD600+cardas is in some ways better than HP1/Melos. HP1s have less detail than Cardasheisers, but make up for that with punch.

Oct 19, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
I'd say Melos-HD600+cardas is in some ways better than HP1/Melos. HP1s have less detail than Cardasheisers, but make up for that with punch.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

ANYWAY

I like HP-1/RKV a lot, personally. But then, I haven't heard HP-1 with a fully loaded Melos.

I wish I'd gotten to hear W2002/Sugden. I had them both but at seperate times. Bad timing, I guess.

Oct 19, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 16
Well, I will let you know hopefully soon about the HP-1/melos combo....but until then...I will say the RS-1/RA-1 combo is stellar. Some here don't give the RA-1 a lot of credit, but with modern Grados...there is a synergy that I have yet to best.

Oct 19, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

To address a few things:

Quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Kelly, evidently you disagree with this statement? Please explain.

Oct 19, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 16
Sony CD3000 plus the Berning MicroZOTL-- match made in audio heaven!

Mark

Oct 19, 2002 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Hmmm, my take on the HP-1 is that it was much more detailed than the HD600 (sans Cardas), but not in any way in the aggressive and forward manner of the Grado 225 and RS-1. The HP-1 definitely lacked punch. The Cardas cables must be pretty amazing...

If there is a dynamic phone that I truely covet, it is the HP-1.

Oct 19, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #14 of 16
Sugden + Beyer 931 is quite amazingly good...so good that I almost was happy enough to avoid Staxs entirely. I expected this combo to be majorly bright, but the Sugden actually tames the 931's treble, compared to other amps.

Oct 19, 2002 at 6:36 AM Post #15 of 16
QG
I must have a mutant HP-1. I've never found it lacking in detail or punch compared to the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back