Another HD598 vs DT880 Thread: Better for relaxing music and classical?
Oct 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FoReIgnMoLe

New Head-Fier
I'm sorry guys if this seems incredibly repetitive to you all but please bear with me.  I guess I have a really bad case of upgraditis (or sidegraditis) and I was really looking at the Frys ad and saw that there was a sale on the Sennheiser HD 598s for $149.  I live very close to Frys so distance is no problem for me; however, I do own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880s 250OHM with a Aune T1 Amp as my DAC/AMP. I listen to FLAC audio only through Winamp and maybe the occasional 320KBPS if I can't find that song in FLAC.  

Anyways, I have really grown to appreciate the DT880's sound signature even though it can be a bit sibilant at times (not too bad though).  I was wondering if it could be a waste of money, or the best use of my money buying the HD598s, and what I mean is that is how is the sound signature different?  I listen to a whole variety of music from Jimi Hendrix kinda music to Classical to Pop music and EDM.  

Do you think it's worth having two pairs of headphones for different genres? I do think the dt880s do a fair good job for all genres but I'm wondering if the HD598s would do better in one category from the other.  I'm mainly asking this because of the sale, so is it smarter to save up for a better pair of headphones in the future and just skip the HD598s in general? I was thinking like and HD650 or some of the Beyerdynamic Tesla series.  haha please help a beginner :) 

Thank you guys!

-FoReIgnMoLe

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 5
As you already have the DT880 Pro 250-ohm headphones, can't see a good reason for getting the HD598s.

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 5
As you already have the DT880 Pro 250-ohm headphones, can't see a good reason for getting the HD598s.

Ditto

The 880 is better than the hd598.

+1, It's not different enough to justify getting both. I find that the 880s plays well with many genres. My only complaint would be from time to time, when I wanted something fun for EDM/dubstep/etc, it's a little lacking in bass impact. For times like that, I just EQ for a low end emphasis (EQ everything but the low freq down, not boost bass up) for a more "fun" sig and I'm satisfied with that. You can give that a try and see if it's enough for you, if that's what you're after that is.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks guys for the answers.  I guess I just wanted to buy them because they were on sale haha.  I decided I'll just hold off and save up for a really good pair in the future.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back