Another Guy With His Experiences Of X-Cans And 580's !!
Jan 26, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #16 of 57
I'll make it three Brits posting in a row...
tongue.gif

Just to add my own little piece, I think it could be RF interference.. My DECT phone caused havoc with my X-Cans... constant buzzing / popping noise... until i moved them apart.. then (to my ears)... perfect silence, regardless of volume
smily_headphones1.gif

Probably of little to no use... but, I don't know until i post..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2002 at 1:22 PM Post #20 of 57
I wonder where all these praising stories of X-Cans come out from, because I can't differ headphone jack of my computer cdrom and xcans from each other (using a basic cdplayer for x-cans source). Maybe some differences at very high volume levels, but at normal listening levels they are almost identical.

Any of my friends haven't either heard a difference beetween those two, so I consider those "total new world of soundquailty" sayings a bit exagenerated. Well, these are the same kind of people, who find extreme differences from interconnects, so...

Jan 28, 2002 at 3:41 PM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

I wonder where all these praising stories of X-Cans come out from, because I can't differ headphone jack of my computer cdrom and xcans from each other (using a basic cdplayer for x-cans source). Maybe some differences at very high volume levels, but at normal listening levels they are almost identical.

Consider yourself lucky!
You won't go around spending big bucks like us silly audiophiles do, in search of that magical sound.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of music do you listen to?
With some music it is easier to pick out the different nuances that highend equipment helps brings out.

Jan 28, 2002 at 4:57 PM Post #22 of 57
I will be using those bucks, but in the end of the chain. I just love the sound of Graident Revolution Active speakers (pricey) and the top of line staxes.

I listen mostly to scandinavian metal, which also includes some very orchestral songs and classical passages, and some great recordings. I also listen to classical and jazz, and once in a while just trance and mainstream pop. That is quite rare though, heh.

Jan 28, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #23 of 57
Very constructive Nacher
evil_smiley.gif
As I have already had slapped wrists off MacDef (
tongue.gif
) for my outbursts, I will leave it to other members of the forum to give you their, ahem, comments.

Well just a little update, and still WOW !!

I have now run them in (cooked eggs on my PSU anyone?) and they sound better than ever. I have learned to live with the slight buzz, and when the warranty runs out I will try some new tubes. I now find that I can listen to music at whatever volume is comfortable for hours with the X-Cans, a VERY far cry from the harsh, tinny headphone outputs on my Marantz equipment.

The sound is just so smooth now, but I have still noticed that even though the bass is better, they really (to my ears) are still not geared towards heavy rock or dance music. Those types of music need a lot more drive (bass) than what the 580's can give me, but with ALL other forms of music they are outstanding. In fact I have forgotten about my speakers now !!

Regards, Rick

Jan 29, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #24 of 57
I guess for different people the X-Cans sounds...different. Every single audio device is like that.

Personally, when I first got the X-Can v2, it simply sounded clearer compared to my Yamaha reciever. However, after warming it up and running a bit of music into it, I was suprised with the improvement of instrument separation, warmness, bass response, realism, and soundstage.

This is just me.

Jan 29, 2002 at 8:58 AM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Nikolaidotorg? Haven't heard that one in a while. Dusty, you've been around long enough... you should have noticed. Shame on you!
eek.gif

Oo'er, what does Nikolaidotorg mean ? Sounds like a Star Trek character !!
confused.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 11:36 AM Post #29 of 57
I've been resisting this thread because of my own prejudices, but what the hell...

QUOTE: "I now find that I can listen to music at whatever volume is comfortable for hours with the X-Cans, a VERY far cry from the harsh, tinny headphone outputs on my Marantz equipment."

Hm. I have the Marantz 6000 OSE cd player and I found its headphone jack a tad warmer, smoother and with more bass than the X-Can V2, even with vintage Amperex NOS tubes inside.

Oh well, c'est le vie...

My final opinion of the X-Can was, after all the tweaking, that it's an okay unit if you don't have a headphone jack on your cd player or pre amp. If you do, don't bother buying one. I will add, however, add that some units DO have lousy headphones jacks, in which case the X-Can may help. But if it's possible A/B the X-Can with your headphone jack before your chance to return it expires. I remember when Natcher freaked out before - I also did the same thing - when he realised his X-Can purchase resulted in a barely noticable improvement. So, I somewhat agree with him in assessment. Overall, I consider an X-Can a rather utilitarian addition to an audio system. Looks cool, though.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back