Another Guy With His Experiences Of X-Cans And 580's !!
Jan 21, 2002 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Perfectionist

New Head-Fier
Well what can I say, I hold my hands up to all those who told me I needed a headphone amp, and I am blown away
biggrin.gif

My findings, well the 580's have lost all of their harsh, fatiguing sound that I complained about. They are now super smooth and clear, all thanks to the X-Cans. Instrument positioning within the music is so much clearer, I recall someone else on here saying that their music went from a mush of instruments, to total clarity.

The 580's have also gained the bass I so wanted, not much, but just enough to make me smile
biggrin.gif
I have also solved the issue of comfort (digging in the pressure point below my ear), I have one of those glass head thingies, and have simply left them on there at all times, when they are not on my head of course, the head has artificially aged them, and they are now seriously comfortable.

So essentially, I am now here to fully endorse the use of a headphone amp, and to say that in my experience the use of the amp, combined with the glass head (!!) has solved all the problems with the 580's. They are now amazing
smily_headphones1.gif

Just one small issue/question regarding the X-Cans, to put my mind at rest. When it is idle (on but with no signal passing through it), I get a very slight buzz/hum coming through the right hand side of my cans, this vanishes as soon as a weak signal, such as a quiet passage of a classical piece, is passed through it. It really isn't noticeable when music is playing, and is barely noticeable when idle. Is this normal, am I simply hearing the tubes (not used to the characteristics of tube amps) ?

Thank you all, Rick

Jan 22, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 57
Glad to hear you're a believer, Perfectionist.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the hum, it could be a few things. Try switching the tubes around, and see if the hum also switches sides. Also try making sure the tubes are firmly in place. I'm sure other X-Cans owners can help out further.

Jan 22, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Perfectionist
Just one small issue/question regarding the X-Cans, to put my mind at rest. When it is idle (on but with no signal passing through it), I get a very slight buzz/hum coming through the right hand side of my cans, this vanishes as soon as a weak signal, such as a quiet passage of a classical piece, is passed through it. It really isn't noticeable when music is playing, and is barely noticeable when idle. Is this normal, am I simply hearing the tubes (not used to the characteristics of tube amps) ?

No, that doesn't sound right at all. Are you sure it goes away, or is it just overwhelmed by the actual signal?

Jan 22, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 57
Oh dear, that wasn't the reply I was looking for
eek.gif

I can't really start messing with the internals, it's brand new and could invalidate the warranty.

As for the noise being drowned out, well I suppose it could be, but I really can't tell fully as even during a very quiet passage of music it disapears, so I think with ANY signal it goes away....

WHY DO I ALWAYS HAVE TO GET THE SHAFTED ONE
confused.gif

To be honest it really isn't intrusive, and is very quiet when idle, but it's there....

Regards, Rick

Jan 22, 2002 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Perfectionist
I can't really start messing with the internals, it's brand new and could invalidate the warranty...

Relax. Swapping the tubes is not that big a deal. Um...some guy named Nikolaidotorg or something has a website...search this site...it's really not that big a deal. You just lift 'em out, and plug 'em back in (swapped, of course). And while you're in there, you should make sure the wires are in a sensible arrangement (I.E., not touching either of the tubes).

The X-CAN is made for having its tubes swapped.

Jan 22, 2002 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 57
Thanks for that Dusty.

Well I think (as it may just be interference yet) I will try the following before I start to play with the internals - and give them a listen in these configurations, one by one

1. Remove all interconnects, so it's independant
2. Move it's position to the other side of the room, away from everything
3. Try a different PSU (standard connector and I have some beefy wall warts)
4. Have a look inside
rolleyes.gif

Thanks, Rick

Jan 22, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 57
Perfectionist: Where did you get the glass head? Sounds like a great way to "store" the phones when not in use. I would like to purchase one. Thanks.

- Dan Stroot

Jan 22, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 57
hey raymondlin, whos that girl for your avatar? im just curious...

Oh yeah, back to the subject. I think there was a discussion about noise from the X-Can v2 awhile back....you might want to search for it.

Jan 23, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 57
Ironically, speaking of searching the archives, he just answered that question in another thread -- she's one of the girls from the TV show "Popular".

Jan 23, 2002 at 9:21 AM Post #13 of 57
Hi all,

First things first, the glass head. Well I live in the UK (possibly a bit of a problem if you live in the US !!), and I got it a long time ago from a shop called Spoils, which I also think may have gone out of business !! It is a really good tool though.

OK then, I have tried everything and have concluded the following, all the things I tried did nothing really. BUT I started to tweak the volume control to find out if that might be the problem. I found that below the 10oClock position the amp is silent, above this the buzz (like an electrical buzz) starts and peaks at 12oClock. This effect is mirrored getting quieter until silence when the knob is on the max position.

So I am going to leave the knob at around 10.30, and as planned anyway, use the CD volume control, which when on max is VERY loud. A decent fix.

Thanks, Rick

PS - The other guy on HFC is me Raymond, but due to certain issues (with certain people) I have had to change my name to protect the inocent !! Thanks anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back