(another) Great 8 dollar tube tweak
Jul 24, 2003 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Ebonyks

Headphoneus Supremus
This one is for tube users only, it's part number 9319K26 at mcmaster. They're teflon incapuslated silicone O-rings, and are cheap tube dampers, and sound wonderful. Sound is clearer, bass is deeper and punchier, and detail has sigificantly been increased. It's 8 dollars, and i'm hearing details that i've never heard before. Yet, i don't hear any of the flaws that people often have with tube dampers, no loss of dynamics, no metallic ringing sound, just wonderful.

The link given above fits amperex NOS 6922 series tubes with a little bit of force, and most 12AX7. For other tubes, you'll have to go through the mcmaster site to find the right size.

Jul 25, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 18
Interesting. This sounds a lot like Herbie's Audio Lab Hal-O tube dampers, which run a couple of dollars more these days.

Jul 25, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 18
Tube damping is not an uncommon idea, there are companies other than herbie's that makes them, however, they're more expensive, and other than reading impressions, i have no reason to believe that other tube dampers sound worse, regardless, they make a huge difference in my system

Com'on tube guys, take a risk and spend 8 bucks, you'll be glad you didi

Jul 25, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
If they fit 12AX7, should they fit 5751s?

I can't speak to the McMaster ones, but Herbie's Audio Lab makes a variety of sizes. The one that fits small signal tubes such as 12AX7 will fit 5751's.

Jul 26, 2003 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 18
They look interesting. I have toyed wiht the idea of making my own tube dampeners for a long time. Since I don't have an audio rack, my equipment is subject to some significant mechanical interference.
frown.gif

Jul 26, 2003 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 18
this if from http Herbie's Audio Labs' FAQ:
http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/ttmat.htm
Quote:

Q. What causes microphonic vibrations?

A. Microphonic vibrations are caused by internal component electronics like transformers and relays, motors, and external vibrations like sound waves. These vibrations create mechanical impulses inside vacuum tubes, inducing small parts to move, altering their capacitance and voltage, resulting in amplified distortions. The symptoms are often a slight fuzziness throughout the frequency spectrum, high-pitch "glare," a blending of similar frequencies, acoustical feedback, and mushiness in the soundstage. You may hear hissing emphasis of sibilant sounds (s, z, ch, etc.) in vocals. The HAL-O Vacuum Tube Damping Instruments virtually eliminate all forms of microphonic distortion.

well, i wonder how much this tweak will work on my tiny EMP.. its power supply is separated.. i wonder what can make its tubes vibrate, and if this tweak worth it.

FYI:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14974

Jul 28, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 18
With Herbies and Tubesox, you can reuse the dampeners, AND you can save or resell your used tubes. With the silicon rings, they melt to your tubes and become permanent. I am sure they both use the same technology, I would rather have the option of saving unblemished used tubes, and I would always rather re-use then re-buy.

Jul 28, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 18
Not sure what you're talking about, the teflon-silicon rings don't melt. That's the main reason why i gave a link for the teflon-encapuslated rings

Jul 28, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 18
i believe he talks about the eBay link i gave .

Jul 28, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 18
Are they similar looking to the silicone ones at the ebay link Adam posted? If so, looks like you would need to use a minimum of two rings for small signal tubes and perhaps a minimum of three for power tubes like an EL84?? If that is the case then I would need at a minimum of eight for my MG Head and then another couple for my tube DAC which uses a single 5751 for a total of 10. So it would be about $40 plus shipping. Does that sound right? Or are you using just a single ring on your tubes? How many rings do you recommend for a tube?

Jul 29, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #15 of 18
I just use a single ring on each tube, and the sonic differences are present. I don't know what kind of benefits more offer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back