Another good story with Dr. Jan Meier
Apr 6, 2005 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

porta

Head-Fier
The stories begin 5 month ago when I am listening to my favorite’s low-end combo system
Arcam CD72 > Kimber PBJ > Corda HA-2 > DT931 (For serious listening) or Equinox + HD600 (For more relaxing sound).
I hear some rattle sound at the left channel of my DT931 especially at low frequency and I am thinking the sound was from the recording so I check the disc maybe it is dirty but the disc surface was clean. I have a bad feeling maybe the left driver of my DT931 was broken so I contact the local Beyer distributor in Jakarta/Indonesia and they said just bring your headphone and after 2 weeks, we will give the result.

After 2 weeks they inform me the headphone already fix and the cost was 200.000 Rupiah (22 $US) , I am very happy because I like those DT931 very, very much and Dr. Jan knows very well about this. I come to their office and test the phone with some low frequency music collection and I do not hear any rattle sound again, I am very happy with the result. However, there was another issue the left channel sound was smaller than the right channel so I told the technician about the new problem and as usual I have to go home and wait for another 2 weeks for the result.

After another 2 weeks they call me the headphone already fix but I doubt about the good news, I said “are you sure about the result” and the marketing people told me their boss already test the headphone. I come to their office again and meet with the owner and discussing about the problem. When I listen carefully the problem still there, I request the owner to compare with another headphone maybe it is better to compare to the new ones.
He realizes my DT931 are still problem after comparing to brand new DT770, he offers me to replace the coil with the new one and the cost around 80 euros (70 euros/pair coil + 10 euros for labor) because replacing one coil will not solve the problem. I bring the guarantee card and the headphone is still in guarantee, he said because you do not buy this headphone from me so the guarantee was not valid. I tell to the owner the problem are still there so its better you do not charge the 22$US for the labor and he agree. This is not my lucky day; I go back to home and feeling very sad about this situation.

I contact Dr. Jan Meier and tell him the entire story, he said, “just send the headphone to me and I will send to Beyer”, wow I it was a very good news. Less then 2 weeks Dr. Jan inform me the headphone already fix, they replace the left coil with no charge and the other good news Beyer replace the ear cushion for FREE as you know Indonesia was a tropical country and especially Jakarta was hot. I am very surprise and very cheerful Beyer not only fixing my DT931 but also replacing the ear cushion free. I have to wait for my aunt to bring that headphone from Heidelberg/Germany to Jakarta/Indonesia, no problem at all as long as my favorite’s headphone fixed.

Yesterday the headphone arrive and it looks like a brand new DT931, bring to my listening room and tested with A Love Supreme by John Coltrane…..OH MY GOD ….. those natural sound was back again.

Thanks to Dr. Jan Meier for helping me,
Thanks to Beyerdynamic Germany for fixing the headphone,

And also local Beyer distributor for not charging their unsolved problem,

A HAPPY ENDING STORY..............

Cheers,

Porta

Ps: sorry for my bad English

Apr 6, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 3
It's always nice to read threads like this (about the good deeds done by any of our members), and it certainly is not the first time a fellow head-fi'er has been treated to the extraordinary care that Dr. Jan (pronounced Yon) provides for all of his customers. In fact, check out this Jan Meier love fest!

I'm just kidding about the 'love fest' part because, in all seriousness, Jan has done so much for the headphone audiophile community, and all of the praise in the above linked thread is richly deserved. Whether this comes in the form of his pioneer work in the creation of innovative new headamp and crossfeed designs, the finanical support he provides to head-fi with his sponsorship and product auctions, or the assistance he quietly provides to a head-fi member in need, he's always there to help.

On a personal level, I've done several transactions with Jan, and he has always been tremendously helpful to me. No doubt, he's one of the top dudes around here both in terms of his knowledge and his desire to promote the hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back