Another (Circumaural) HP Recommendation Thread...
May 6, 2009 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lastdodobird

Head-Fier
I was looking for headphone recommendations a few weeks ago, but I might not have created the thread right / not have given enough of the right details - so there were only a few recommendations.

I hope it would be fine if I try this again. Here are the info you would probably need:

1) I need a full-sized/circumaural pair of headphones. Soundstage is the primary requirement. Detail is secondary. Frequencies just have to be relatively balanced.

2) My favorite genre of music is Post-Rock (Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, GY!BE) followed by Melodic/Progressive Death Metal (Edge of Sanity, Opeth), Folk Rock (Nick Drake, Elliott Smith) and Twee Pop (Belle and Sebastian) - but generally, I cover a wide array of genres - those are just my favorites and most listened styles.

3) I currently own a pair of Shure E2G IEM's amp'ed with a FiiO E3, which balances out the frequencies decently; but I want a really wide soundstage, and this current setup hardly satisfies that.

4) I've previously owned a pair of Sennheiser PX-100's, which are good - but the sound is now too "muddy" and boomy for me and I find that it has too much bass.

5) As it stands, my listening chain is: iPod/laptop --> DAC (if using the laptop) --> FiiO E3 --> 75ohms Impedance Adapter (DIY) --> Shure E2G

6) Price Range: Let's just say around $150 to $250

Previous recommendation thread for reference: LINK

Leading candidates so far: ATH-AD700 or ATH-AD900 (although someone I know is agressively pushing for the D2000)

May 6, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 12
Post-Rock is awesome.
atsmile.gif
Sigur Ros is one of the greatest bands to ever exist...

The AD700 might work, especially since you have that Fiio for if the bass isn't enough for you.

The D2000 might be a little too bassy for your liking.

Other than that, I have nothing to add, sorry.
frown.gif

May 6, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the Beyerdynamic DT880's were excellent for post rock.

x2

Explosions in the Sky are pretty incredible on the DT880s. They will do a great job with folk rock as well. Although I don't know what twee pop is, the DT880s are a great can for most music genres.

May 7, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 12
AD700 or AD900 without a doubt. The DT880 will require an amp and the D2000 might be too bassy and wont have as wide of a soundstage since it is closed.

May 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, what is twee pop anyway?
smily_headphones1.gif

typically, twee is indiepop that is very melodic and has a generally playful, childish, soft and gentle tone to it.
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880 out of a Fiio? I don't think that would be a good combination (DT880s need an amp, no?).

Yeah, I realized recently that the DT880 really needs an amp. That sucker is hard to drive!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700 or AD900 without a doubt. The DT880 will require an amp and the D2000 might be too bassy and wont have as wide of a soundstage since it is closed.

Intriguingly... I was able to try out these cans recently with a bunch of familiar test tracks and the D2000 was surprisingly great. I liked how it had a punchy bass. I liked how it looked, and the fit was the most perfect fit for me out of all the cans I've tried out.

But for the price, the AD700 is damn hard to beat in terms of price-for-performance.

Although after hearing all of the cans that I've tried out recently... I realize that at least I'm not the type of person that will nitpick so much between the entry-level (AD700), mid-range (HD650) & hi-grade (RS1) audiophile equipment so much.

May 9, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I realize that at least I'm not the type of person that will nitpick so much between the entry-level (AD700), mid-range (HD650) & hi-grade (RS1) audiophile equipment so much.

For now...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back