Another Canadian UE10 Pro Owner
Oct 21, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #16 of 28
Just comment of the seal. I did notice that when I got my addition cord with added length it the fit was better. Had something to do with the bend they put in the cord to make it easiler to get the unit in with one they came in the headphones. The one I order didn't have the bend in the cable to make it easlier to fit the UE-10s in but seal was better.

Just a thought.

-Chris

Oct 21, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
On to the seal again, although I did get the seal, but the seal is unbalanced, my left seal gives me underwater effect way more than the right, and I can break the right seal by leaning my head on my right shoulder. What annoys me is the unbalanced seal.

I guess I know what you're talking about, if you mean a slight vacuum feeling with "underwater effect", you feel the need to equalize pressure. I get the same feeling when I pushed them in a bit too far, that way I might get a better seal but they just don't sound right, like a bit muted, the whole airy feeling is gone. Once I correctly place them in my ear canals they sound way better - but there are still issues with a proper isolation then.

Good luck and give them some time to improve the insertion and getting used to them.

Marcus

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusH
I guess I know what you're talking about, if you mean a slight vacuum feeling with "underwater effect", you feel the need to equalize pressure. I get the same feeling when I pushed them in a bit too far, that way I might get a better seal but they just don't sound right, like a bit muted, the whole airy feeling is gone.

Right Marcus, I have that exact same feeling when I push too hard on mine to get a good seal. I guess it's a compromise between sound quality and isolation.

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #19 of 28
Yah, the underwater effect I meant is the vaccum effect you guys talking about. Actually after more about 20 hours of listening on it. I might ask UE to make my left seal a bit less tight, the effect is really obvious when I jump or move my arm when playing guitar. The sound just like you guys said is muffled a bit because of the effect - I believe it is also called microphonics. I am suspecting it happens because it tightly touches my upper ear canal, so any movements will vibrate the tip of my left earpiece. However, of course, I still need to test it more. I think this is good that a lot of us request refits. This might just force UE to try to experiment with other materials, so makes the seal more flexible and therefore, less refits going on.

On to the sound again, I think UE10 Pro bass is just super amazing. No matter how impactful the bass gets, it never ever muffled other frequencies. Every other audio equipment I have listened always makes me wondering if I can mute the bass, what kind of subtle things burried under the bass I can hear. I am now rediscovering these sublte things with UE10 Pro. It is the most amazing discoveries that I have found out for the first 20 hours listening to UE10 Pro.

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by vnwn
congratz!!
icon10.gif

I got perfect fit after UE make a whole new 10proz for me.

so be cautious & remind the lab...

Oh so what is the problem before the refit? I am just curious. I am usually not a very picky person, but since this is not a pocket money, I feel I need to be picky this time. I am now battling with the ideal of getting less tight fit on one ear or making the other a more tight fit, so the seal can be more balanced.

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
I am now battling with the ideal of getting less tight fit on one ear or making the other a more tight fit, so the seal can be more balanced.

Not to sound like a broken record, but that is EXACTLY what I'm facing at this point. Do I have UE make the right earpiece fit a little tighter, or the left looser? It looks like we all have a bunch of common challenges in trying to get a perfectly balanced fit.

Oct 22, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #24 of 28
Aaaahhh this is frustrating. I just checked my mail again tonight and I got a slip that says that I have a package from Ultimate Ears. However, the package place at my college doesn't open again until Monday. I thought it would get here Monday, but I paid for overnight shipping and it got here today. It is just disappointing and I should have checked my mail later in the afternoon. I'm mostly frustrated at my school.
mad.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
Not to sound like a broken record, but that is EXACTLY what I'm facing at this point. Do I have UE make the right earpiece fit a little tighter, or the left looser? It looks like we all have a bunch of common challenges in trying to get a perfectly balanced fit.

My right ear piece felt like it had a tighter fit when I first used them a month or so ago. Now that I've been using them for a while they feel equal. What i'm getting at is that it's probably better to get the loose one tighter because you ear will probably adjust. If you go the other route you risk a poor seal.

I had so many problems getting a seal with universal iem's that it drove me to spend $950 on the UE's. There's nothing worse than fighting to get a good seal. The whole point of getting a custom iem is to eliminate that frustration. So don't be satisfied until you get a perfect fit, you definately paid for it.

My fit seems to get better every day. I can eat, chew, work out and the seal wont break- it wasn't that good when I first got them. So maybe give it a little more time before you decide to send them back.

Oct 22, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
My right ear piece felt like it had a tighter fit when I first used them a month or so ago. Now that I've been using them for a while they feel equal. What i'm getting at is that it's probably better to get the loose one tighter because you ear will probably adjust. If you go the other route you risk a poor seal.

That's what probably will happen, i.e. of course if the tight fit isn't too uncomfortable. I believe that a tighter fit will help to compensate for future changes of your ear canal; if it changes, you'll be able to achieve a good seal for a longer time.

Quote:

I had so many problems getting a seal with universal iem's that it drove me to spend $950 on the UE's. There's nothing worse than fighting to get a good seal. The whole point of getting a custom iem is to eliminate that frustration. So don't be satisfied until you get a perfect fit, you definately paid for it.

solvexyz, I don't think that we are picky at all - as BIGtrouble77 said you paid for it. As not everyone of us is able to head over to UE for impressions and adjustments we have to stick with "3rd party" audiologists. I believe it's just fair to ask for minor adjustments to your phones until you're perfectly satisfied.

Quote:

My fit seems to get better every day. I can eat, chew, work out and the seal wont break- it wasn't that good when I first got them. So maybe give it a little more time before you decide to send them back.

That's what digihead was referring to in my UE10 thread - give them some time. My first impression of my refit was, that it was already way better. Now - after several hours of fiddling - I'm not so convinced anymore that it is my final fit.
Unfortunately the refit already took almost 2 weeks so the 30-day warranty will run out soon, therefore I have to hurry a bit making my mind up whether a second refit will be needed or not. I'm not sure though whether a new set of impression will yield any better results or is just the same as they're now.
Another "thickening" of the stem might do the trick though. I'm going to e-mail UE once I'm home....

Good luck to you all, solvexyz and co for their refits. To emphasize it once more, it's definitely not picky to long for a perfect fit on $900 phones, whose sole purpose (beside SQ) are a custom and good fit.

Marcus

Oct 22, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #27 of 28
Hi,

Thanks for all the comment regarding to the fit. It is really constructive. As of now, this is the 3rd day I am using my UE10 Pro, and I believe I definitely starting to get the hang of it.

I am able to get my right seal actually tighter than the left - very weird I know. Partly it has to do with my jaws opening, I feel I can get a more comfortable and tighter seal - just open my jaws a tiny bit like not letting my upper and lower tooth touch when the mouth is closed. I think this has to do with the open jaw ear impression.

I think I will give it couple of days to see how much I like this and how would I like to improve upon.

By the way, Marcus, I hope you are going to like your first refit. I know it is a torture to let go this baby even for a couple of weeks.

PS. I just want to note that if you are going to get UE10 Pro and read this, I hope this does not turn you away. This seal thing is already way better than the universal IEM if you followed UE's ear impression instructions - open your jaw widely.

Oct 22, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

After ~25 hours of audition time, I'm starting to agree with you. If the left ear remains comfortable during next week's air travel (12 hours or so...), I will likely have UE try to match its level of fit and seal on the right earpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back