Another Canadian UE10 Pro Owner
Oct 20, 2005 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

solvexyz

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, guys

Finally the wait is over, I got my UE10 Pro. I will comment on the sound after few more days; however, I would like to comment on the fit for now. The fit is a tight fit, so tight that after few more minute I can feel a bit of discomfort that the canal portion of the earphone is putting up against my ear canal. However, this will not hurt, just not as comfortable as I expected. I believe this is due to my audiologist make me open my mouth about 90% wide.

On to the noise isolation, I think it is close to the foam, but not as good as the tri-flange. However, I did feel that my right ear seal is not as good as the right, but it is pretty good.

I am ganna give it a few more days before my final decision to send back for a refit, and I really hope this is due to the fact that I am still not used to having something this hard in my ear canal.

and guys please, feel free to post any other related questions.

regards

solvexyz

Oct 20, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 28
Well hehe I feel obliged to officially congratulate you (forget about the other thread *g*).
I bet you'll get more and more used to them - when I first put them in it was a strange sensation, but I got used to it and soon enough it was the most comfortable phone I ever used. If you try them out during the weekend it might be easier to figure out where exactly they're uncomfortable, i.e. if you're not getting used to them, that way it's far easier for you and UE as you most probably will only need one refit (if at all). I guess digihead was right, give them some time and you'll be able to spot where they "hurt" more easily. At least you're getting a good seal so far. In my case it was quite clear that they're just too small so I sent them to UE/Fischer Amps ASAP.
I understand that you don't want to post any possibly premature impressions on the sound, but I'm just curious about how you like them actually? Now that you've waited for so long, did you expect them to sound any different?

IIRC you chose clear phones + black cables?

EDIT: update your sig!

Marcus

Oct 20, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
Hi, guys

solvexyz

Look we have a new member to TEAM UE-10s.

Congratuations. I am sure will enjoy them. I had the same feeling about the refitting and deicided against it. To some degree you get use to it and to some degree you get better at locking them into position.

-Chris

Oct 20, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 28
Ok, my first impression when I first listened to them, I thought I was listening to my e4c with amplifier straight out of my iPod. Actually by reading through lindrone's post several times, I was expecting very prominent vocal bump, but I think it is on the same level as e4c. I really do not notice the vocal bump. The bass is not like my Westone UM2, and it is more like e4c, but with more quicker and tighter impact. Also, I feel the listening volume on my ipod is like the e4c where I had to turn it almost half way to get decent detail and impact, but Westone UM2 is more like 1/4.

I will be posting the image of my earphone tonight or tommorrw if I can find my cable to transfer the picture from my camera. I did go for Westone UM2 look - clear earpiece with black cord, so I think you guys have seen it quite a lot.

On to the seal again, although I did get the seal, but the seal is unbalanced, my left seal gives me underwater effect way more than the right, and I can break the right seal by leaning my head on my right shoulder. What annoys me is the unbalanced seal. My right ear always gives me this problem even I am using the universal IEMs, so I usually had to make my left seal less tighter in order to balance them. I will give it another 3 days to listen. If I still can not stand it, I probably had to contact UE on Monday for a refit on my right earpiece.

Edit. I do feel happy to be an owner of UE10 Pro so far, but I had to admit that the improvement of going from e4c with decent amplifier to UE10 Pro is more like 15% ~ 20% of improvement. However, UE10 Pro did fixed few things I am not happy about my e4c, and making me not wanting to go for an upgrade. Note, this is still under 100 hours of listening to it with a somewhat unbalanced seal, so please do not take it that seriously. I am just expressing my initial impressions about listening to UE10 Pro

Oct 20, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Actually by reading through lindrone's post several times, I was expecting very prominent vocal bump, but I think it is on the same level as e4c.

Congrats on new IEM's. I've auditioned E4's and it's got similar in-your-face prominence to vocals as E3's. Some may like it though (I guess it happens with Grado phones- I've never heard any so can't confirm). The problem disappears with Sensaphonics.

Oct 20, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by root
Congrats on new IEM's. I've auditioned E4's and it's got similar in-your-face prominence to vocals as E3's. Some may like it though (I guess it happens with Grado phones- I've never heard any so can't confirm). The problem disappears with Sensaphonics.

oh, so e4c does have a vocal bump. Well, that is one of the aspect I do not like about my Westone UM2, I thought the vocal is layed back. I think I like this kinda in your face prominence.

Oct 20, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 28
good choice then
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

oh, so e4c does have a vocal bump. Well, that is one of the aspect I do not like about my Westone UM2, I thought the vocal is layed back. I think I like this kinda in your face prominence.

I think I like it too. Even then, there are still some tracks that I find that the vocals are a little further back than I'd like, but this is recording specific. It's funny that you mention being able to seal your left ear pretty easily, but struggling to seal the right canal. It seems to be very common. I know that it holds true for me, also. I often can't even loop the cord to my E4c's behind my ear, because of the strange angle that is inserted at. I'm still not 100% what the angle is...to be honest.

I've read about the mod you can do, where you pivot the nozzle housing of the E4- but I haven't attempted that. It seems strange to me that a custom would have the same problem, because my whole reason for even considering customs would be to solve the issue of my right ear seal. What's the deal?

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 28
Well, a cautious 'congratulations' on your 10's, at least until you're happy with them. Hope you can get the fit sorted out without having to return them. BTW, my right earpiece feels a bit less 'planted' in my ear than the left, but so far it doesn't seem to affect the seal.

Best of luck!

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 28
Here is the image I promised, but sorry about using 2.1MP digi cam.

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
What sup Solvexzy,

I see you everywhere here and over at ilounge too. Congrats on your purchase. What kind of amp are you using?

Haha, I see you here and ilounge too. However, I think you posted way more than me on ilounge. Oh by the way, thanks for the help few months ago on the decision about UE5c and UE10 Pro. I think UE10 Pro is really the sound I am looking for and it does. I am really happy.

About the amp, it is the amp used by my dad for his home theater setup. No idea what the name is, but judging he owns Bose speakers and was a proud owner of it. I could not comment on the quality of the amp, but it does the job. I am still waiting for Hornet.

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones
I've read about the mod you can do, where you pivot the nozzle housing of the E4- but I haven't attempted that. It seems strange to me that a custom would have the same problem, because my whole reason for even considering customs would be to solve the issue of my right ear seal. What's the deal?

Yes, this is one of the main reason that I went for UE10 Pro. However, it is still way better seal than I can get with e4c, but just when comparing to my left ear seal, the right seal is really not that perfect. I know my right ear canal might be hard to get a seal because the audiologist actually made two impressions for my right ear canal and picked the one that she thought was better.

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
Well, a cautious 'congratulations' on your 10's, at least until you're happy with them. Hope you can get the fit sorted out without having to return them. BTW, my right earpiece feels a bit less 'planted' in my ear than the left, but so far it doesn't seem to affect the seal.

Best of luck!

ok after reading your post again, I think I did feel my right earpiece less planted compared to the left, but I can manage to break its seal. However, I just found out that if I make the memory wire tightly wrapped around the back of my ear, it helps a lot and it make it harder to break its seal.

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #15 of 28
congratz!!
icon10.gif

I got perfect fit after UE make a whole new 10proz for me.
Yet, my frd received his Refited 10pro on Monday,
coz he just felt left earbud was unfit at the beginning => UE jus remake the left hand side for him

then now left is bigger than the right earbud, the shape of 2 earmoulds r diff too.
he told me that both sound & isolation level are obviously different from left & right.
he sent the 10proz for refit again already...
rolleyes.gif

so be cautious & remind the lab...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back