Another best amp for price thread (under $4000)
Jan 3, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #91 of 98
Hell if you are willing to spend that kind of money you can come an come round my house and try all the headphones out. I am looking to buy a omega 2 within the next week or so. Just doing a little research.

Wulfman>Did you bother to listen to any other headphone when you bought the r-10? I mean besides the sony you use to own. Did you try Audio technica, stax, grado rs-1's or ps-1's or hp-series, senn 650's? I re-read your thread last night. You already made up your mind what you were going to buy very early on. You all ready convinced yourself the r-10's were the only headphone for you. You say you like to listen to a lot of rock. Then how do you feel the r-10's perform with your musical taste's? What are the r-10's weakness? If you have learned anything you will already know the answer. Most r-10 owners do.

Jan 3, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #92 of 98
Wow, whats all this controversy guys? Let's kill the noise and stay on topic.

For me personally: I'd scoop that guys cary 300 sei, it is to die for. I'd
start a hunt for r10s. This combo is unbelivable, and possibly the most favorite setup i ever got to sit down with. So damn good. Beautiful midrange, warm, fluid sounding, detailed. I loved it.

Next, i go with canmans suggestion: Omega2 and kgss, great setup. Excelent detail, very fast, and articulate. The bass is kinda lean (complaint), also they do make squeaky fart noises i noticed ; ).

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #93 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
IIRC Servinginecuador did not have R-10's for either of his reviews.

The reviews will still give a good sonic impression of both amps from someone who spent alot of time with them. (not just meet conditions) He might want to think about an amp that also sounds good with what he owns now.
The way things go, it could be a long, long, time before he can find the R10's anyway.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #94 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
Next, i go with canmans suggestion: Omega2 and kgss, great setup. Excelent detail, very fast, and articulate. The bass is kinda lean (complaint), also they do make squeaky fart noises i noticed ; ).

Hey man, I thought those farting noises were coming from you!
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #95 of 98
I agree with mjg.
Cary 300 sei is THE amp(along with r10s), but a senn 650 with your pick of aftermarket cable will be damn good too. More than enough ta hold ya over...
Im still kicking myself for getting rid of those two... dear Lord what was I thinking....

k.s.

Jan 4, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #97 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
It's not that. It's obvious you're only trying to help, but your so determined to get your point across. I've never see anyone debate with others so much over something they've never heard. Suggesting is one thing, but you're pushing the options with no or little first-hand experience.

My ONLY point was that he should either try out or atleast CONSIDER the Supra before he made his decision. Hell, he should probably even consider several more amps before he makes his decision. That's alot of damn money. And now that he's decided on the headphones, he should start another thread asking for reviews or opinions on what amp goes well with the R10s. Atleast more than one or two people can tell him what other amps will sound like with them.

Quote:

Also, reading reviews does not make someone an expert. Many cases regarding phones and stuff are surefire. But at this point, with so much at stake, the starter should really only get help from people who have tried different combos and compared them.

I still don't understand this line of reasoning. If someone reads a million reviews by experienced people and and a good percent of those million reviews agrees and all the guy who's reading them does is ECHO THE FRIGGIN REVIEWS, who the hell is he hurting? All he's doing is saving someone else the time and effort. Most people don't like to put in 4+ solid months of research before buying something like this. And when i say 4 months of research, i mean that's pretty much all i did for 4 months.

Quote:

I'm not knocking you Wulf, you're not doing anything intentially bad. It's good to want to help, bu tyou gotta relax.

I told him right up front that i didn't have much, or in most cases any first hand experiences with this gear. If he wants to disreguard my posts than that's his decision. But i'm not such a newbie when it comes to sound and tone evaluation. I've been doing it with guitars and amps for years now and, surprisingly, the world of hi end audio isn't that different at all. In fact the two are extremely simular. I hear words used to describe stuff on here all the time that i've used to describe guitars and guitar amps for years.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 8:54 AM Post #98 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Wulfman>Did you bother to listen to any other headphone when you bought the r-10? I mean besides the sony you use to own. Did you try Audio technica, stax, grado rs-1's or ps-1's or hp-series, senn 650's?

Yep, i tried out the 650 several times. Here, and from the guy i bought my R10s from down in Dallas. I tried out the Omegas VERY briefly down in Dallas. Same with the RS1s. Didn't try out any Audio Technicas, but this is the trouble with living in Oklahoma, it's just a wasteland down here. If i mentioned to anyone that i was looking for headphones that cost more than $100 i'd most likely get blank stares from 99% of the people here.

Quote:

I re-read your thread last night. You already made up your mind what you were going to buy very early on. You all ready convinced yourself the r-10's were the only headphone for you.

Like i said, the words used to describe sound in audio is very simular to what's used to describe sound in guitars and amps. I took my knowledge of what i liked from that, and everyone said that the R10s would be my dream cans. And i can even say from listening to them these past few months that almost everything that people said about them was true. So you CAN get a good description of what something sounds like by reading reviews.

Quote:

You say you like to listen to a lot of rock. Then how do you feel the r-10's perform with your musical taste's?

I listen to alot of everything actually, it depends on my mood. I love how the R10s handle rock. There was one review on of the R10s on here, labeled a "magnum opus" that could say it better than me: I can understand how some would think the R10s take some of the impact away from rock. But to me rock is more about the groove than the impact, so i think stuff like AC/DC, Zeppelin and Cream comes across excellently. But i can also see how the R10s absolutely shine with classical. Anything toneful really.

Quote:

What are the r-10's weakness?

The obvious answer is a lack of bass and bass impact and visceral impact all around. But the great thing about that is the fact that i got the Supra modded for the R10s and with the Ken Rad/Sylvania tube combo NOS tube combo, there's enough bass to suit me fine, but i'm not a bass nut to begin with. Maybe not enough slam and speed on some of my metal recordings. But i've been looking into getting something like some Sylvania 67N7Ws which i hear have alot of slam.

Quote:

If you have learned anything you will already know the answer. Most r-10 owners do.

I didn't quite get that, so i'll just smile and nod.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back