Another annoying USB DAC recommendation request... :-p
Apr 30, 2008 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I know, I know: the last thing you all want to read is yet another request for recommendations on a budget USB DAC. However, I have some specific questions about my setup, so bear with me, if you please!

I'm traditionally a speaker guy, but I've been dabbling lately in the headphone world. That being said, I have not (thus far) attempted to replace, or even match my speaker rig, but have rather tried to get the best bang for the buck with my choices (with the limit of the buck being on the low-low end).

So, to that end, what I have so far (and very pleased with!) are Alessandro MS-1's, and the Octavart THE ONE amplifier.

What I'm looking for now is a separate USB DAC that I can feed my uncompressed music into my Bottlehead Foreplay tube preamplifier, which then goes to the Octavart. I'm currently considering this DAC, whose "bang for the buck" capabilities have been highly touted here.

My question is whether or not I would receive much benefit from a more expensive DAC. Given the "scaling" limits of my current budget system, how much can I reasonably expect as I go up the DAC ladder?

Any recommendations? I mostly listen to folk rock, jazz, and various misc. rock genres, in that order. I value fluid reproduction of vocals, reasonably accurate spacial cues, and good detail (but not at the expense of a cold, "analytical" signature). So far, I believe my current gear covers these areas very, very well for the low budget.

So... what are your thoughts on a USB DAC that can do the same??
confused.gif

Thanks a bunch for your time and thoughts!

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 5
Or, I just realized... would this be better placed in the "Computer-as-source" forum??

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 5
Bump.

Anyone? Help?

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 5
the Opus or Sabre (if it lives up to the paper specs) DACs will get you Very far for under 350. However, they are only DIY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back