Annoying noise in foobar
Jan 10, 2009 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Chri5peed

Headphoneus Supremus
Ummm, its kind of like a metallic grunt? Lasts for half a second, but it occurs completely randomly.

Only thing I have changed is put my music library on a new 500GB HDD along with foobar, usually get zero noise.

I'm confused, anyone have a clue?

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 6
Did you put it on an external drive? Maybe the usb/firewire is too long / broken.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 6
Is it an internal or external drive? Do you experience any problems at all if you play music off the drive in another player (Winamp, VLC, WMP, whatever)?

I've had something similar happen, and it turned out to be a bad drive. If yours is internal, use something like Speedfan to view the S.M.A.R.T. info for the drive; look for "reallocated sectors" and any error field, especially CRC errors, with values greater than zero.

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 6
It is quite annoying, never heard a single noise in foobar whilst using Kernel Streaming in XP.

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ummm, its kind of like a metallic grunt? Lasts for half a second, but it occurs completely randomly.

Only thing I have changed is put my music library on a new 500GB HDD along with foobar, usually get zero noise.

I'm confused, anyone have a clue?

For starters I suggest you put FooBar back on your internal and see if that makes a difference. If not then play music from your internal hard drive and see if you get the same problem. That way you can eliminate the external drive as an issue...

But before that get a note book and jot down each time it blips, how far apart are they, do they coincide with pc activity ?

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Where did I say the new 500GB HDD is external?

Its been okay since a restart, so lets hope it was an insignicant thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back