Annoying Noise in Case audio jack
Aug 11, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:
I'm so happy to have found this thread after weeks and weeks of searching about this problem. The noise has been driving me nuts, and it's only after buying and installing a sound card with front panel pins that I've realized the problem is with my headphone connector, not my motherboard audio.

Would you guys say the noise problem is a problem with the motherboard or the case maker? Is it the motherboard's fault for letting noise leak through their USB ports, or is the case's fault for improperly mixing their USB and FP Audio port grounding? I really don't want to do a bunch of cutting and modding on my Lian Li case's cables, so I'd rather replace one of the parts if that will fix it.

Some people say neither.  I firmly believe that it would be better just to feed it from the back of the computer, adding that analog-domain wire inside your computer is just asking for trouble.

A cheapo external extension cord would do you better.  Velcro/tape it to the top/front of your case, and bam.  Front audio without the problems.

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #18 of 21
I would say that this is the case makers error. They are the ones who determine where each of the connectors are earthed. In choosing to have a shared earth, they introduce the interference noise.

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #19 of 21
I'm happy I found this thread too! I didn't need to do any soldering since every module carries its own ground; I only needed to separate the audio module from the others. Here's what I did with my Cosmos case:

Take off the front (well, sort of on top) panel and get access to the PCB.  I then used wire clippers (crude I know) to cut out the audio module from the PCB.  I then used some electrical tape to insulate it from the PCB other two parts of the board it will now be resting against.  After that, I used some super glue to mount the audio module back on to the front panel since it would otherwise be floating around now that's its detached from the rest of the PCB.  The other two pieces have a slot to fit into, so I didn't need any super glue there.  That's it!  I put it back together now and I can't believe the audio quality I get out of this now!  Thank you so much for the idea!

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #20 of 21
I realize this is an old post as I have this same issue.... but I was looking aound and found a usb audio jack that I think would work great (I dont have it but by reading over the reviews...).  So if you want front audio for your headphones maybe try this product.

StarTech ICUSBAUDIO USB to Stereo Audio Adapter Converter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829128002

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #21 of 21
This is an old thread, but I thought I would post my own fix to resolve this issue in case it will help anyone who runs into this thread again some day.

I had this problem and I did some research from different forums.
I registered just so I can post how I fixed mine. Ravelli posted a good solution, but won't work with everyone.

causes: just like ravelli said, the audio and mic ports have ground wires shared with the usb ports in the front panel assembly. This is a design flaw by the supplier. I don't think Antec designed it to be this way, but their supplier or whoever makes it continues to make them this way. this is why you keep getting replacements with the same static and noise issue. you don't really receive broken front panel assemblies, but they are sending you the same unbroken ones, just that they are flawed in design.

The other cause of the static is your video card and other computer components in the case that emits the EMI (electrical magnetic interference). When you run a game, the video card will output more EMI from the engines used. like the 3D engine from the game. the soundcard you use will pick up the EMI quite easy, especially if it's next to the video card.

another cause of the noise is the front panel wire running from the soundcard to the front not being shielded from EMI. the wire will easily pick up the magnetic interference that is emitted by the video card and other components inside the PC.

So how did I fix my problem? I tried to get into the front panel assembly and cutting the plastic in half so I can cut the ground wire shared by the usb. I couldn't get very far as I was in risk of cutting other wires. so i gave up on that. I unscrewed the ground wire that was coming from the front panel box and attached to the metal part of the case. you can find this by taking the right side panel off the p182/p193 case, the side which is behind the motherboard. check near the front panel assembly and you'll see a wire screwed onto the case as a black ground wire. I unscrewed this and covered the end (or most of the whole wire) with electrical tape.

This still didn't fix the noise problem
wallbash.gif
. I decided to try and see if putting electrical tape on the front panel audio connector would shield it from the EMI emitting from the components inside the pc. I wrapped the whole HD audio front panel wire connector (connected to the soundcard) completely with electrical tape. I also tried running the wire from the soundcard to the back of the motherboard, and then into the front panel. I made sure to tape all around completely from the socket connecter all the way to the other end.

I did a test and now only 5% or less of the noise exists!!
woowoo.gif

I hope this info helps everyone.

other info:
Those soundcards that are expensive and have their own front panels. the X-fi titanium fatality soundcards that have a black encasing on them. those are not just for aesthetic looks. those are magnetic shielding covers against EMI from computer components like a video card.  Quite expensive to buy those, but it's just to tell to you that Creative knows what makes their soundcards acquire static noise.  If you plug your headphone or speakers into the back port directly to your video card and you dont' get static noise, your components are not putting out enough EMI to your soundcard. if you receive some static noise, then your soundcard is probably next to your video card and it needs shielding. you could reduce the noise also by moving your soundcard to a different pci express slot. a pci express soundcard will not fit on a pci slot, but will work on a full pci express slot despite the card having a smaller connector for pci express 1x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back