Annoying Noise in Case audio jack
Feb 23, 2008 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ben7337

100+ Head-Fier
Ever since I built my computer from scratch a while ago I have had issues with there being strange noises in the audio jack of my computer case, though the jack straight from the mobo does not seem to have this issue. If I drag things or move my mouse I get different sounds that are clearly corresponding to the actions on the PC too, though they are obviously not supposed to be there as they aren't real audio sounds such as the ones you actually get from clicking or anything like that.

My mobo is an EVGA 680i SLI and my case is an Antec 900.

I am wondering if there may be any way to remove this sound or where the problem might be occuring. Also do sound cards have jacks in the to plug in my case to the sound card, it is not really feasible to plug in my headphones to the rear audio jack as the mobo only has one output that I can use and it would be a pain to go in the back and plug in things and unplug things constantly, that and I would need a headphone extender just to have the cord be anywhere near long enough.

Thanks for any help.

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 21
It sounds like internal computer noise bleeding through to the audio. Perhaps the wire that's connected to your front panel is picking up interference from the other components.

Most sound cards have front panel output, so you could see if that makes a difference, versus connecting directly to the motherboard's front panel output.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 21
ah okay. thanks for the info, guess I will try a nice little sound card then.

Just out of curiosity but is the Creative Audigy SE a decent card and does it have the pins to output to my case jack?

thanks again for the help.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like internal computer noise bleeding through to the audio. Perhaps the wire that's connected to your front panel is picking up interference from the other components.

Most sound cards have front panel output, so you could see if that makes a difference, versus connecting directly to the motherboard's front panel output.

Is there any easy way to eliminate computer noise? Like a quick mod or something?

Does interference ever bleed through the PC to an external DAC when one uses a decent coaxial cable (say a bluejean)? Or is that unlikely?

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any easy way to eliminate computer noise? Like a quick mod or something?

Does interference ever bleed through the PC to an external DAC when one uses a decent coaxial cable (say a bluejean)? Or is that unlikely?

It depends which kind of noise you're talking about. Electromagnetic interference can be reduced by using higher-quality parts (power supply, motherboard, etc.), but in general, it can't be eliminated inside of a computer. If you're talking about fan noise, you can upgrade the fans, replace some of them with passive heatsinks, or install sound dampening material on the inside of the case.

If the computer's power supply is electrically noisy or has ground loop issues, it's possible that the digital output could be affected. However, most sound cards have some filtering in place to reduce or nearly eliminate these power problems if they're present.

An optical cable has a slight advantage in that it's not electrically coupled to the rest of the system like a coaxial cable. On the other hand, optical outputs are harder to implement, and many manufacturers don't do a very good job. Coaxial outputs are easier to implement because the transmission technique is electrical, just like an analog interconnect. So, take your pick.
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 21
Hi! I have exactly the same problem like you. I have Gigabyte GA-DS3R motherboard and Antec Solo case. Front panel audio has too this annoing noise while back output works like charm. I even bought separate Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme sound card and used it to get front panel audio but it didn't help. I think that cable is badly shielded or front panel's connector itself is flawed (front panel audio and usb jacks are together and maybe they interfering each other)
I now consider buying new speakers with headphone jack (creative inspire a300 or t3100)

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 21
I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3L mobo and an Antec 900 case.

The front panel noise is extremely bad. The noise out of the mobo in the rear was just as bad. I was forced to buy an audio card. The Creative xfi extreme audio fixes the rear audio problem. However, the front audio jack (now connected to the creative sound card) STILL has unacceptable computer noise.

For headphones, my solution was to connect an old Pioneer sx-580 audio receiver up to some KEF speakers and plug my HD-280's into the receiver (which is plugged into the creative sound card). I wanted better sound than my Logitich crap-speaker setup anyways
wink.gif

So... Basically the problem is still a problem. I'd like to not have my headphones plugged into the receiver if I dont have to. I've been searching around a lot and people generally say that its just poorly shielded wires and there's nothing that can be done.

Anybody seen this problem and solved it?

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 21
Very old thread but I in case anybody stumble upon it, I wanna share my experience. I had this problem and I finally managed to fix it.
My case is a Xigmatek Midgard. The static comes from the fact that front Audio and front USB ports share the same ground. If you unplug the USB there's no static. To use USB and remove the static, I had to remove the link between the grounds directly on the front port card using a dremel and then do a few soldering to relink the mic and headphone ground together.

Hope it helps somebody.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 21
That's quite a neat fix; nicely done. I just make it a general rule to completely ignore front audio, in favor of front USB, seeing as you see the difference in the audio, but won't see it in the USB unless it's an accurate device. (IE: You can run a harddrive on it, but I wouldn't run a DAC off it.)

Jun 24, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 21
Hi cputime, could you elaborate on your fix for removing the shared ground between the audio and USB ports? I have the same problem in my coolermaster cosmos case, and my front audio port is very much more accessible than the rear and would be great if i could use it as an easy second port. I can solder, I just don't know what to cut and replace...

Many thanks,
Jay

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #12 of 21
In order to perform the mod, you have to be familiar with the pinouts of the usb, HD-audio and the stereo jack. Take a look at them:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-015851.htm

http://www.frontx.com/cpx101_2.html

What cputime is claiming here is that the ground wire from the front usb out is shared with stereo jack signals. (A brilliant observation, never noticed it myself.) This is the source of all the strange noises you hear. To remove the source of the noise, you remove the reference to the usb ground on the stereo jack, and connect the ground pin of the stereo jack to the ground of the HD front audio out. This would be the wire coming out from pin 2 of the pinout. Hope it makes more sense now. Have fun hacking!

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #13 of 21
I had this problem with my onboard audio, it wasn't noticeable until I bought my 280 Pros, disconnected the front audio ports and tried it through the back...same thing...bought a new sound card (XtremeGamer) and it's gone...haven't tried the front audio jacks yet...don't even have them hooked up actually.

Jul 3, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #14 of 21
I eliminate the noise, buying a LINE TRANSFORMER w/ aprox. 4W and input impedande w/ 1/2,5/5 Kohms and output w/ 8 ohms and assembly between the PC and the LCD TV. The low impedance (8 ohms) you conect to PC and the high impedance (tap w/ 1Kohm) you conect to TV or RECEIVER. I hope that I help some one. Please e-mail me if someone have doubts...marcioguth@ig.com.br. From BRAZIL

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #15 of 21
I'm so happy to have found this thread after weeks and weeks of searching about this problem. The noise has been driving me nuts, and it's only after buying and installing a sound card with front panel pins that I've realized the problem is with my headphone connector, not my motherboard audio.

Would you guys say the noise problem is a problem with the motherboard or the case maker? Is it the motherboard's fault for letting noise leak through their USB ports, or is the case's fault for improperly mixing their USB and FP Audio port grounding? I really don't want to do a bunch of cutting and modding on my Lian Li case's cables, so I'd rather replace one of the parts if that will fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back