Annoyed with USPS...
Oct 10, 2007 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

skyline889

Headphoneus Supremus
I went in to the local post office to ship out a package via Priority International today and even though their website specifically states that PMI packages can be tracked through their online tracking service, the lady I spoke with would not get it out of her head that the only way I could get a tracking number was to ship it through EMS or GEG which would have cost between double to triple the price. I spent a good 10-15 minutes at the post office but after that I just gave up and said I just wanted it shipped out vis PMI anyway. The person I shipped the package for wanted PMI specifically because it offered a tracking number and now I can't give it to him because the USPS worker did not even know the services offered through her own shipping company. Argh, I'm so annoyed right now.
mad.gif
Any one else have experiences like this?

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 17
The ladies* at my post office are quite nice and very friendly and helpful.

[size=xx-small] *all female black women and one asian women works there[/size]

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 17
No idea if this is gospel, but I've been told more than once by postal employees the "tracking number" you get with PMI, which should be on your receipt, is utterly worthless once it enters customs of the country you are shipping to, but it will "work" if you plug it into the USPS website under Track & Confirm.

Global Express Guaranteed is the service you need to use to get a "real" tracking number that functions the same way as tracking number you'd get through UPS or FedEx. Unfortunately, that service is very expensive (a 12x12x12 3lbs. package is $69.00). At that price point, I'd simply use FedEx or UPS.

I am to the point if I ship international, I tell the recipient if they chose any shipment method other than FedEx, UPS or Global Express Guaranteed, I will not give a refund if the shipment goes missing. As a personal guarantee, I offer to scan the receipt and customs document to send in an email for their peace of mind.

So, sadly, I actually think she was steering you right.

-------------------------------

Edit: Take a look a how USPS describes the difference in services:

Global Express Guaranteed
Quote:

Global Express Guaranteed is an international expedited shipping option from the U.S. Postal Service and FedEx. It offers you reliable, date-certain shipping to thousands of destinations in nearly 200 countries/territories worldwide.

This service is available from nearly 8,400 participating retail locations throughout the United States. Please check the Participating Post Offices to find the post office nearest you that accepts Global Express Guaranteed mailings.

PMI

Quote:

Tracking to major destinations

Not exactly exhaustive or inspiring, huh?

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No idea if this is gospel, but I've been told more than once by postal employees the "tracking number" you get with PMI, which should be on your receipt, is utterly worthless once it enters customs of the country you are shipping to, but it will "work" if you plug it into the USPS website under Track & Confirm.

You are right, I shipped a package to Spain from Portland recently by USPS, and the lady at the counter was adamant that there was no tracking. However the receipt number told me when the item was accepted, when it shipped to San Francisco, when it left the US, it's arrival in Spain and processing by customs, and when it was delivered. All by using the website's "Track & Confirm".

The first $100 is also insured automatically when you ship USPS Priority.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 17
I'm completely annoyed with them right now. I bought a total airhead from a fellow head-fier last week, it shipped out, the next day "you package has been delivered at 11:13 am" I was in class, my room mates had no knocks at the door, and there was no sign of it in my mailbox. I called the post office, they have no idea. I'm supposed to call back and talk to my postal carrier to see if she remembers what she did with it...but she's not there the next business day. What? Where is my package? I doubt she'll remember by now, and if she dropped it off in the middle of the hall instead of leaving a "sorry we missed you" note, what can I do about it? pretty much nothing, though someone may have stolen it if she did that...Gah, pissed so much right now.

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #7 of 17
I dropped a package in the night drop box Monday night. I printed my label on-line so I have a tracking number. No movement yet. They make me nervous.

When I ship FedEx or UPS I see lots of activity while the package is in transit.

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went in to the local post office to ship out a package via Priority International today and even though their website specifically states that PMI packages can be tracked through their online tracking service, the lady I spoke with would not get it out of her head that the only way I could get a tracking number was to ship it through EMS or GEG which would have cost between double to triple the price. I spent a good 10-15 minutes at the post office but after that I just gave up and said I just wanted it shipped out vis PMI anyway. The person I shipped the package for wanted PMI specifically because it offered a tracking number and now I can't give it to him because the USPS worker did not even know the services offered through her own shipping company. Argh, I'm so annoyed right now.
mad.gif
Any one else have experiences like this?

I have a receiver that was shipped out on the 6th and I have seen no activity whatsoever with the tracking number yet. It just says "The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on October 6, 2007 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later." That is what it has said since the 6th. what the heck. Maybe I'm just ignorant about shipping?
blink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 17
SoundGoon, dates aside, that's the same message I have. I think next time I'll pay the extra money for FedEx just for the peace of mind. I used them to deliver a package to my cousin once, only a few hours from me, and I was able to track the package practically in real time.

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonolithTMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SoundGoon, dates aside, that's the same message I have. I think next time I'll pay the extra money for FedEx just for the peace of mind. I used them to deliver a package to my cousin once, only a few hours from me, and I was able to track the package practically in real time.

That's because FedEx/UPS have better "tracking" technology. I used to work for UPS during the winter time (seasonal job), as an extra job for funds to pay for my bills. (We all have to start somewhere..)

This same technology even differs from each location as well.. Some are faster, some are slower.. there's an employee who hand scans each package as it's getting off the truck, and being put back onto the truck.

Furthermore, UPS/FedEx almost always takes longer (or costs more), because of this, even though FedEx/UPS works longer hours. A FedEx/UPS product will touch MANY more hands before it gets to you (thus the longer wait time). Not so with USPS. However, I don't know how this all boils down to internationally, but domestically, this is how it pretty much goes.

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 17
There's no telling how long a given item will be held at customs. The last time I shipped internationally via USPS, the tracking information (via customs form number) didn't update for a week and a half. The update was a pretty big one--instead of looking like the package was awaiting departure from the U.S., the package had already been delivered in Asia. Whatever the case, the buyer was happy even though I looked a little suspicious for offering him tracking information that didn't update.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 17
I'm shipping from Ohio to California, I guess I really shouldn't start to worry for a few more days.

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm completely annoyed with them right now. I bought a total airhead from a fellow head-fier last week, it shipped out, the next day "you package has been delivered at 11:13 am" I was in class, my room mates had no knocks at the door, and there was no sign of it in my mailbox. I called the post office, they have no idea. I'm supposed to call back and talk to my postal carrier to see if she remembers what she did with it...but she's not there the next business day. What? Where is my package? I doubt she'll remember by now, and if she dropped it off in the middle of the hall instead of leaving a "sorry we missed you" note, what can I do about it? pretty much nothing, though someone may have stolen it if she did that...Gah, pissed so much right now.

That really sucks. I had a similar experience sending my Hornet to Ray for modification. The "tracking" said the package was delivered, but in actual fact, the postman had no idea where Ray's house was so didn't deliver it. The package was left at the post office for a few days before Mrs. Samuels was kind enough to go check up on it herself. I hope it works out for you in the end.

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That really sucks. I had a similar experience sending my Hornet to Ray for modification. The "tracking" said the package was delivered, but in actual fact, the postman had no idea where Ray's house was so didn't deliver it. The package was left at the post office for a few days before Mrs. Samuels was kind enough to go check up on it herself. I hope it works out for you in the end.

I live in a duplex and a few years ago I lived in another one. I lived on the second floor, and to get to my apartment you had to walk up a flight of stairs to the deck and then you saw the door and the mail box. My neighbor's main entrance was the same way, just one door down. One day UPS delivered a package and left it on the back porch, which was not an entrance to my apartment, and there were no street address numbers or any other markings there. I was tracking it and saw it said delivered panicked, called UPS, and they called the driver who told them where it was. Whew!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back