Animal Problem
Sep 7, 2012 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Deathdeisel

500+ Head-Fier
Yes I know this is hugely different from the "norm" here at head-fi. But Im looking for some responses around the globe, and am interested in your opinions. 

To anyone who has an opinion on animals please read this:

What would you rather own, a kind, loving, protective and playful dog, whom youve owned for about 2.5 years. 
Or some chickens, about 5 of them,whom have done nothing wrong, but have no real connection to you besides them being yours, and they are relatively young.

The issue here is that our dog, likes not to eat them, but to play with them like a toy, hes too big to do so, and kills them. He has done it before, but stopped after I tried to teach him a lesson, the lesson was cut short, and henceforth the lesson went unlearned. 

What would you do in this situation? The options to me are: Get rid of the dog(highly unlikely), shoot the dog, or get rid of the chickens.

Also I need to mention his past. He killed a few ducks before, so i wrapped the ducks body around his neck and left it on him for about 4 days, he hasnt done it since.

He killed geese that we had, we punished him but didnt wrap the body around his neck. He killed about a dozen chickens in one sitting his first time, when he was playing with them. Again, didnt eat any of them, just killed them. We wrapped a body around his neck but only for 2 days, do you think now that hes done it again, I should do the wrap around the neck but for maybe a full week or longer? 

Opinions please, thanks DD.  Comment or vote on poll. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 31
I think I would find a new home for the dog with someone who has other dogs for him to play with, or at least has no animals for him to kill. The dog is young and probably bored. If you didn't have the birds, the dog would probably be chewing rubber hoses, electrical cords and flowers.

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 31
I would like to think we could, but most animal shelters here are full as is, and I find it unlikely anyone would want a dog with his past. We do have another dog whos almost 10 now, and they play quite a bit, but the other dog is 10 or so, so he doesnt have the same energy. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 31
Get rid of the chickens? Is it mandatory to have chickens at home or can they be in a separate cage, hen yeard. Would you miss the chickens more then the dog?

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 31
This. I'd get rid of the chickens. Especially if you care more for the dog. 

Oh, will you be making it to Dallas in October or will we only be seeing you next spring?

Quote:
Get rid of the chickens? Is it mandatory to have chickens at home or can they be in a separate cage, hen yeard. Would you miss the chickens more then the dog?

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 31
I just want to ask why Kill the dog is even an option but then again, I can see how in an objective sense that would be. Euthanize would be a better word as throwing it in a shelter and leaving is generally much worse here in the U.S. But as we are humans and have a closer affinity to dogs than Chickens, most would choose the dog.

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Not mandatory, they are in a seperate cage. They both wander around though, I like the dog more, some members of the family not so much. 
Quote:
This. I'd get rid of the chickens. Especially if you care more for the dog. 

Oh, will you be making it to Dallas in October or will we only be seeing you next spring?

Im not really sure tbh. I have a lot on my plate this semester with school and work. And I havent really had the money to upgrade any of my audio gear with the new bike :/

Quote:
I just want to ask why Kill the dog is even an option but then again, I can see how in an objective sense that would be. Euthanize would be a better word as throwing it in a shelter and leaving is generally much worse here in the U.S. But as we are humans and have a closer affinity to dogs than Chickens, most would choose the dog.

Because here in Texas, im not even kidding at how many people think that if a dog messes with chickens, it should be shot immediately and there is NO hope for it. Wanted to see if many others agreed around here. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Not mandatory, they are in a seperate cage. They both wander around though, I like the dog more, some members of the family not so much. 
Im not really sure tbh. I have a lot on my plate this semester with school and work. And I havent really had the money to upgrade any of my audio gear with the new bike :/

Because here in Texas, im not even kidding at how many people think that if a dog messes with chickens, it should be shot immediately and there is NO hope for it. Wanted to see if many others agreed around here. 

I see what you mean and won't judge, different American cultures. But as we can see, nobody that saw this on head fi voted for that.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #10 of 31
Don´t let the chickens wonder around unless the dog is on leash is what I would do. Seems like it´s a simple solution to keep both :)

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 31
why don't you make a fence using chicken wire?...its cheap and if its high enough the dog wont be able to get in....keep food and water for them to eat ad lib and they will stay there happily....and get a chew toy for the dog....all this does doesn't cost much and should solve the problem....the thing with shelters is they have to make space for the new animals that are being sent to them so if your dog isn't adopted they will euthanize it and you cant be sure how they do that...injection is too expensive for them to euthanize all the animals so some gas them and some even hang them....keeping that in mind, do what you think is best.

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 31
Another option is chaining the dog, but a really long chain so he can walk around but not enough to reach the chickens (might have to put a fence around the circumference too though). Or you can put a big fence around the chickens instead. That way, they can still roam around a bit.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #13 of 31
Yes I know this is hugely different from the "norm" here at head-fi. But Im looking for some responses around the globe, and am interested in your opinions. 

To anyone who has an opinion on animals please read this:

What would you rather own, a kind, loving, protective and playful dog, whom youve owned for about 2.5 years. 

Or some chickens, about 5 of them,whom have done nothing wrong, but have no real connection to you besides them being yours, and they are relatively young.

The issue here is that our dog, likes not to eat them, but to play with them like a toy, hes too big to do so, and kills them. He has done it before, but stopped after I tried to teach him a lesson, the lesson was cut short, and henceforth the lesson went unlearned. 

What would you do in this situation? The options to me are: Get rid of the dog(highly unlikely), shoot the dog, or get rid of the chickens.

Also I need to mention his past. He killed a few ducks before, so i wrapped the ducks body around his neck and left it on him for about 4 days, he hasnt done it since.

He killed geese that we had, we punished him but didnt wrap the body around his neck. He killed about a dozen chickens in one sitting his first time, when he was playing with them. Again, didnt eat any of them, just killed them. We wrapped a body around his neck but only for 2 days, do you think now that hes done it again, I should do the wrap around the neck but for maybe a full week or longer? 

Opinions please, thanks DD.  Comment or vote on poll. 

Tell me you aren't serious about the "wrap the duck around him" crap. If you are - just turn the dog over to the ASPCA/HSoA; please. It always disgusts me to read about animal cruelty, especially when the speaker thinks he's doing something ennobling or well-informed in perpetrating. No I'm not going to apologize for this either. Learn to treat your animals with respect or don't have them.

I think I would find a new home for the dog with someone who has other dogs for him to play with, or at least has no animals for him to kill. The dog is young and probably bored. If you didn't have the birds, the dog would probably be chewing rubber hoses, electrical cords and flowers.

This, but mostly because I'd like to see the dog out of an animal cruelty scenario. You can't just expect to drop a dog on a property and for it to know how to behave - you need to spend time training it (and what was described above does not meet that burden by a mile). Just pass him along to a caring and appropriate family.

So it sounds like you have a dog but don't have time to be caring for him - so like I said, find him a home that does. Period. Being in Texas is not some sort of free-reign pass on animal cruelty, and I'm sorry but you aren't gonna sell that line to me (as they say "that dog don't hunt"). Sure, in an actual livestock/ranching scenario, an LGD or herding animal that turns on the stock should be disciplined or removed, but not abused. Five chickens isn't even a hobby farm.

The bottom line here is that it sounds like you have a younger dog that you just dropped on your property and assumed he'd behave. You sound busy, which re-enforces that theory. That isn't how this works. The dog engaging the chickens isn't really that out of the ordinary either - he isn't a bad dog or a misbehaving dog even. It's pretty common knowledge among people who keep poultry or other hobby animals like that, that you separate them from your dogs unless the dog is very well trained (which again, does not mean abuse) to *work* alongside those animals (such as an LGD). It sounds like your dog does not fit into this category, and it sounds like you aren't capable or qualified to be training the dog for this kind of behavior. So cut your losses and give him up for adoption. Killing him because of owner error is just low, and the situation you have now is untenable.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #14 of 31
How come the poll doesn't have any options for getting rid of the damn chickens?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back