Andy McKee, acoustic guitar genius?
Jan 14, 2007 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LuckyKarma

500+ Head-Fier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

This man has one of the most unique playing styles I've ever seen! As soon as I watched this I HAD to have the mp3s
eggosmile.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 14
Yeah I saw this on Youtube a while back...the other guys on "candyrat" are pretty good too - check their videos out.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 14
Good show. Reminds me of some flamenco techniques......but IMO, too much time spent plucking strings at the finger board: less range. Scott Tennant is still the recent master of guitar IMO
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by SONGsanmanwah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good find. I enjoyed watching it. However, it is not much different from what Phil Keaggy was doing in the late 80s. And he has nine fingers you know
evil_smiley.gif

Bingo! Grab "Beyond Nature" by Phil Keaggy, still one of the best albums for Acoustic Guitar I've heard, he actually beat out all the Guitar Gods that year it came out for Best Guitarist based on this album. The OP's link's guitarist definitely sounds heavily influenced by it.

For more pyro-like performances, go for Michael Hedges, and for more earthy stuff, go Leo Kottke. That trio should keep you happy in this vein for a long time! Glad to see someone else discover the joys of Fingerstyle Guitar!

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bingo! Grab "Beyond Nature" by Phil Keaggy, still one of the best albums for Acoustic Guitar I've heard, he actually beat out all the Guitar Gods that year it came out for Best Guitarist based on this album. The OP's link's guitarist definitely sounds heavily influenced by it.

For more pyro-like performances, go for Michael Hedges, and for more earthy stuff, go Leo Kottke. That trio should keep you happy in this vein for a long time! Glad to see someone else discover the joys of Fingerstyle Guitar!

x2 on Michael Hedges. I saw him live twice, and he was an incredible guitarist, especially his harp guitar stuff. If you can find it, the DVD "An Evening with Windham Hill" has five of his songs on it. Well worth seeking out.

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #10 of 14
Wow back from the grave.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

May 1, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 14
I can't deny that Andy Mckee is a great guitarist, and I would love to be have his style while playing (I have a very boring taught style that doesn't really interest people)
but I have to say, I get bored of his work far too quickly, I couldn't make it through a whole album of his, his songs become kind of 2D sounding after a while, if that makes sense..

May 11, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 14
i have to agree there. whilst i really like andy's tunes i personally don't feel a full length album is all that varied and diverse. having said that some of his compositions are incredible. 

once again though, take a listen to guy buttery. for me his music is beautifully textured, he's a fine composer and has some incredible skills as well. take a listen to this new video of his - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QWXyHCpw7E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back