Andromeda vs Xelento
Dec 8, 2018 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jettsom

New Head-Fier
Hi fellow Headfiers, I need your help.

I have the opportunity to buy the Campfire audio Andromeda for a good price and would like to know how much are they better than my Beyer Xelento’s at the moment. Will I gain anything? I listen mostly rock, metal, EDM. Thanks!

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 16
@Jettsom ,

I have both IEMs, they sound different enough that a causal non-audiophile listener can tell in direct side-by-side comparisons. Biggest sound signature differences is that the Campfire Andromeda is not as bassy as the Xelento and has a sharper treble. The Andromeda's overall tuning is very highly praised by many audiophile reviewers and it is considered as a gold-standard/reference point much like how the UERM was previously a common comparison point for IEMs or the HD800 was a benchmark for flagship over-ears. Things to be aware of regarding the Andromeda is that 1) it is quite sensitive and may hiss 2) its sound signature will change based on the output impedance of your playback device/amp 3) fit may be an issue

there is also a new model by Campfire called the solaris which is driving andromeda prices down right now.

Regarding detailed xelento vs andromeda impressions, I wrote a detailed comparison here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-xelento.827372/page-51#post-14008255.

Hope this is helpful.

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 16
@Jettsom ,

I have both IEMs, they sound different enough that a causal non-audiophile listener can tell in direct side-by-side comparisons. Biggest sound signature differences is that the Campfire Andromeda is not as bassy as the Xelento and has a sharper treble. The Andromeda's overall tuning is very highly praised by many audiophile reviewers and it is considered as a gold-standard/reference point much like how the UERM was previously a common comparison point for IEMs or the HD800 was a benchmark for flagship over-ears. Things to be aware of regarding the Andromeda is that 1) it is quite sensitive and may hiss 2) its sound signature will change based on the output impedance of your playback device/amp 3) fit may be an issue

there is also a new model by Campfire called the solaris which is driving andromeda prices down right now.

Regarding detailed xelento vs andromeda impressions, I wrote a detailed comparison here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-xelento.827372/page-51#post-14008255.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks a lot! It was really helpful. Seems that they each have their own advantage. It’s true that bass and subbass on Xelento is really great, comfort too. Might keep them then but I really want too ear the Andromeda once and for all. I ear so much praise about them.

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks a lot! It was really helpful. Seems that they each have their own advantage. It’s true that bass and subbass on Xelento is really great, comfort too. Might keep them then but I really want too ear the Andromeda once and for all. I ear so much praise about them.

With the Andromeda, one advantage is that you can probably sell it later at a minimal loss given its popularity. (I don't think it's actually dropped by much since the Solaris release.)

I'd say the DD bass on the Xelento is better for EDM however.

Dec 9, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 16
Xelento all day everyday
BA's in general are overrated

Dec 9, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 16
Xelento all day everyday
BA's in general are overrated

Personally, I'd take BA over dynamic every day, but I think that's obvious from my signature.

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 16
Andros are great. To me when I used to audition loads of CIEMs, as previously mentioned they really are easy to set as the reference/benchmark. Likeable sound even as BAs from my memory. As for dynamic sounds, I really love my FX850 modded/EQed and for me easily better than Xelentos but each to their own.

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 16
I’ve take the plunge and bought the Andromeda. I must ear them once and for all! I expect to like them better than the Xelento’s but who knows. To each his own.. Xelento are really special to me, easily one of the best DD on the market.

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 16
Which, Jettsom, did you eventually wind up preferring over the other?
I kept the Andromeda, for me it’s no contest. The sounds is just perfect across all frequencies. Xelento’s sub-bass is killing it, way to present. Andromeda’s are less congested and build quality is 200% better (not plasticky!)

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 16
Yeah but the xelento has the best ergonomics in the game, complete opposite can be said for Andro, even worse then the R1. That's why I stayed with the Xelento over Andro.

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #13 of 16
And the andromeda sub-bass is almost non-existant!

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 16
And the andromeda sub-bass is almost non-existant!
Very true sir. If the Andromeda had the fit and quantity bass the Xelento encompasses = End Game for this guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back