Android-fi!
Nov 3, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #241 of 904
then the bleat "oh but customers say they want thinner phones when we ask them"  yes you fcuktards thats because you just ask if they want thicker or thinner phones.  you dont ask if they want thin and 20 minutes of battery life or thicker but could actually make it through a day of use!!!!

i mean has anyone ever looked at a modern smart phone and gone " oh my god its so thick, i couldnt possible use that!"  or "oh the battery life on this phone is just too much, id really prefer less." 

i think not,

YES!!! That gave me a good laugh on a not so great day, thanks!
The problem with portable chargers is that there isn't something the size of an LOD that goes from USB to micro USB,ni have to use really long cables, and I always get the feeling that if I charge it in my pocket I'm going to break off the connector and break the phone's USB connection.

Hmm, my mom's line is eligible for an early upgrade... What should I get for a new Verizon phone???

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #242 of 904
I can't imagine the battery in my Galaxy Tab 2 ever running out, unless I tried to stream video all day long or something. But it would be nice to be able to remove it to stop a process if needed.

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #243 of 904
the 4 looks nice but no removable battery, me no buy then.

presently my GN barely gets through a day even if i never pick it up once so no way in hell am giving up the ability to have a spare battery in my bag.

Galaxy Nexus has a Samsung extended battery available, also Seidio makes one. It would help your problem, which is especially bad on the verizon Gnex.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #244 of 904
Quote:
Awesome! Welcome aboard!
To be honest though, the nexus 4 doesn't look all that good to me. Not only does it not have a microsd card slot, there's also no removable battery or 4G LTE like my Gnex.
Since the Gnex will undoubtedly get 4.2 I think I'll be sticking with it until google announces another nexus phone...

Ever since after the Nexus S, Google decided/pretty much stated they will not implant external microsd card slot due to wanting more control over security in the phone as having external microsd cards doesn't give full permission/control over it, wanting to encourage users to use the cloud for external storage(though this isn't best ideal for everyone like for those who majority have data limits or slow speeds), and not to confuse users with the storage. More explanation about no sd card can be read at below link.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/30/matias-duarte-answers-questions-about-jelly-bean-ui-and-the-lack-of-micro-sd-cards/

As for the LTE, the only explanation why this isn't there at the moment though may change in the future is due to Google not liking the limitations/restrictions carriers ask of Google (there are speculations the SoC on the Nexus 4 supports LTE though not active when launched). 
One example; take a look at how Verizion did the Galaxy Nexus with the updates(and adding Verizion bloatware) compared to the GSM Galaxy Nexus, the update for jellybean(4.1) on the GSM Galaxy Nexus was pushed out in the second week of July after the Google IO event while the Galaxy Nexus on Verizion's network update was pushed on the last week of Sept(three months for the update it took on Verizon's Galaxy Nexus).
Sources: http://www.gsmarena.com/android_41_jelly_bean_rolling_out_to_gsm_galaxy_nexus-news-4502.php
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/21/verizon-galaxy-nexus-finally-lands-jelly-bean-update/

Now for the thoughts of the cosmetics with the Nexus 4 is a personal preference though the build quality is no doubt improved over the Galaxy Nexus acordding to one of the first few hands-on/review of the Nexus 4.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/2/3589280/google-nexus-4-review

Lastly, the non-removable back is another personal preference which is not going to be a deal breaker for everyone.
Personally, I am completely fine/go through the whole day with my stock battery that came with the Galaxy Nexus though if I require a lot more battery usage like on a trip or if I'm not going to be near a wall outlet for a bit, I just simply use a mobile battery charger on to go which I would plug it in with the phone to the external battery/charger and leave it in the bag or pocket as it's quite small and isn't a hassle to carry around with. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K7192G/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=wireless
Quote:
I have to agree, google really made jelly bean rediculously smooth. I'd say it's on par with my iPad, which I didn't think would ever be possible...
IMO chrome is the best browser for android and iOS, mostly because you can sync all of your tabs between devices, with 3 computers and 2 mobile devices this is very helpful.
Those of you that got the galaxy tab 2, did you ever consider the nexus 7? Just curious...
And, is anyone interested in the nexus 10? The resolution of that screen being on par with the iPad is catching my attention, but I don't like the overall look of the N10. To me it looks like a child's toy. And I think it deserved something quad core, like a tegra 3 CPU.

If the Nexus 10 had a quad core instead of the CPU that currently implanted, the resolution of it would not be the same because at the time being, there is no other CPU that supports the Nexus 10's resolution of 2500 x 1600 beside the Exynos 5250 which is what the Nexus 10 runs by.
Although it's a dual core, the 1.7 Ghz Cortex-A15 and the Mali-T604 performs better than the Tegra 3.
CPU wised is 15-20% better while the GPU is able to easily beat the Adreno 320 so Mali-T604>Adreno 320>Tegra 3. 
More info/Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/arm-a9-vs-arm-a15-87559/

Now if you excuse me, time to play some League! ;D!

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #245 of 904
Quote:
Hmm, my mom's line is eligible for an early upgrade... What should I get for a new Verizon phone???

none.  now i clearly am not in the US but i firmly believe that most of the us problems with mobile networks are primarily their fault.  they and their cdma network locks consumers to the network even though you own the phone.  this means the us market has no freedom of movement save att and tmob.  att is big enough to realise it can get away with the same behaviour and screw the consumer too because they expect to be treated that way.   so id suggest if you can go right to tmob, buy the phone yourself (nexus 4 looks great and stupid cheap atm) and then get a sim only plan and stop getting screwed.  imo verizon = the root of us mobile pricing.

over here im sitting on a rolling payg bundle that is just going up to £12 a month for which i get unlimited data (though they forbid tethering, they cant stop you but threaten to cut you off if you do) still i regularly do about 8gb a month.  250 min of calls, unlimited texts and unlimited free calls to the same network. 
Quote:
Galaxy Nexus has a Samsung extended battery available, also Seidio makes one. It would help your problem, which is especially bad on the verizon Gnex.

i dont like sedio anymore, partly because they are one of these US companies that sees no life out side the US.  that and their GN case i did buy is crap.  the thing is gigantic and clearly meant for what i  can only assume is for the fat verizon version.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #246 of 904
Ever since after the Nexus S, Google decided/pretty much stated they will not implant external microsd card slot due to wanting more control over security in the phone as having external microsd cards doesn't give full permission/control over it, wanting to encourage users to use the cloud for external storage(though this isn't best ideal for everyone like for those who majority have data limits or slow speeds), and not to confuse users with the storage. More explanation about no sd card can be read at below link.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/30/matias-duarte-answers-questions-about-jelly-bean-ui-and-the-lack-of-micro-sd-cards/

As for the LTE, the only explanation why this isn't there at the moment though may change in the future is due to Google not liking the limitations/restrictions carriers ask of Google (there are speculations the SoC on the Nexus 4 supports LTE though not active when launched). 
One example; take a look at how Verizion did the Galaxy Nexus with the updates(and adding Verizion bloatware) compared to the GSM Galaxy Nexus, the update for jellybean(4.1) on the GSM Galaxy Nexus was pushed out in the second week of July after the Google IO event while the Galaxy Nexus on Verizion's network update was pushed on the last week of Sept(three months for the update it took on Verizon's Galaxy Nexus).
Sources: http://www.gsmarena.com/android_41_jelly_bean_rolling_out_to_gsm_galaxy_nexus-news-4502.php
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/21/verizon-galaxy-nexus-finally-lands-jelly-bean-update/

Now for the thoughts of the cosmetics with the Nexus 4 is a personal preference though the build quality is no doubt improved over the Galaxy Nexus acordding to one of the first few hands-on/review of the Nexus 4.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/2/3589280/google-nexus-4-review

Lastly, the non-removable back is another personal preference which is not going to be a deal breaker for everyone.
Personally, I am completely fine/go through the whole day with my stock battery that came with the Galaxy Nexus though if I require a lot more battery usage like on a trip or if I'm not going to be near a wall outlet for a bit, I just simply use a mobile battery charger on to go which I would plug it in with the phone to the external battery/charger and leave it in the bag or pocket as it's quite small and isn't a hassle to carry around with. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K7192G/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=wireless
If the Nexus 10 had a quad core instead of the CPU that currently implanted, the resolution of it would not be the same because at the time being, there is no other CPU that supports the Nexus 10's resolution of 2500 x 1600 beside the Exynos 5250 which is what the Nexus 10 runs by.
Although it's a dual core, the 1.7 Ghz Cortex-A15 and the Mali-T604 performs better than the Tegra 3.
CPU wised is 15-20% better while the GPU is able to easily beat the Adreno 320 so Mali-T604>Adreno 320>Tegra 3. 
More info/Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/arm-a9-vs-arm-a15-87559/
ir

Now if you excuse me, time to play some League! ;D!

Wow, that was an excellent post! Thank you very much!

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #248 of 904
I think I'd wait for Anandtech's review. The rest are just FUD.

Guess what, there was an article i saw on one of those tech blogs. The new iPad Mini has smaller pixels than the older iPad, because it has a smaller screen and the same res.

Oh my god! I never new that was possible. How did they do that! 
eek.gif

If this kind of cr** makes it into their news, its clearly biased.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #249 of 904

Guess what, there was an article i saw on one of those tech blogs. The new iPad Mini has smaller pixels than the older iPad, because it has a smaller screen and the same res.

Oh my god! I never new that was possible. How did they do that! :eek:

Yeah, I looked at a comparison with the nexus 7 and the N7 was twice as fast in the benchmarks.
I have to laugh at people that try and justify the lower resolution display by saying its because it's "cheaper."
Cheaper than the iPad, yes, but not cheaper then virtually every other tablet in the competition.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #250 of 904
Quote:
Yeah, I looked at a comparison with the nexus 7 and the N7 was twice as fast in the benchmarks.
I have to laugh at people that try and justify the lower resolution display by saying its because it's "cheaper."
Cheaper than the iPad, yes, but not cheaper then virtually every other tablet in the competition.

I think I've presented this before, but I present before you the most mathematical way to predict review scores from these sites. I got this off the interweb.

Code:
 1. Is it an Apple product? 2. If yes, randomly choose a score between 8 and 10 3. If no, randomly choose a score between 5 and 7 4. Is it a non-Apple product that competes with an Apple product ? 5. If yes, lower the score with 3 points 6. Does the device have geek-appeal? 7. If yes, randomly add 1-3 to the score 8. Was the device created by a company whose CEO said not-so-nice things about our master Steve? 9. Then lower the score with 2 points. 10. Is it an Microsoft product? 11. Then lower the score by 2

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #252 of 904
Quote:

Oh my god! I never new that was possible. How did they do that! 
eek.gif

Unfortunately Anand himself has become pretty pro-Apple so his personal Android and non-Apple tablet reviews are pretty personally biased.  If you are wanting Android reviews, hope that someone other than Anand writes it.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #254 of 904
Updated the OP so that it is hopefully a little bit more helpful...
Anyone get the new Nexus 4 or 10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back