ANDES-E07K or ALPEN-E17??.........or maybe go to the X3?
Oct 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JackRabbitSlims

100+ Head-Fier
Hello - I have been off the scene for couple of years traveling.....just spent a few days catching up on some new gear and developments etc.

I am considering upgrading my portable rig which consists of :-
iPod Classic 160gb, Fii0 LOD into HeadAmp Pico Slim into Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors.

I'd love to upgrade the DAP, but I have 150gb of Music on the iPod and all of it in an iTunes Library (ALAC) on a Macbook. Thinking about the X3, but that will mean carrying 3 SD cards worth of music - no biggie :)

How easy would it be to transition from the iPod to the X3 from my current setup? My iTunes library is on an old Black MacBook....I use this solely for music storage, but travel with MBA.....considering iTunes Match, but undecided there :)

So, If I stay with the iPod, I'm considering either the E07K or the E17.

I want an ultra portable rig as I travel 11 months of the year. I have had an E11 in the past but went for the Pico slim b/c of the great battery life.

After reading a bunch on this site, I'm leaning towards the Alpen! - Can I bypass the AMP / DAC combo in the iPod and still use the SPDIF from the Alpen??

I would love to be able to test and listen to many devices, but I only have limited time (4 weeks) before I set off again and my home town is a sh!tbox little spot in NZ. I can order Fii0 online here from a NZ distributor :)

I'll either go to the X3 with multiple SD Cards or stay with the iPod and upgrade the AMP / DAC combo.

Thoughts, Ideas Suggestions please......Budget is under $300 NZD - ($250USD) - give or take.

Cheers.

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 5
I would say to get the Fiio X3, then you would have no need to carry around a spare DAC/amp (or just amp).
Plug your headphones direclty into the X3 and sell off the iPod.

The Fiio E17 can not bypass the Apple device's DAC chip.
A $230 HRT iStreamer can bypass the Apple device's DAC chip.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi PurpleAngel - thanks for your comments and suggestions.

In terms of transferring my iTunes library on to the device and SD cards - what is the process there?...just USB the X3 into the MacBook and transfer across?? - is it as easy as that or a more complicated procedure??

Thanks one again.
Cheers.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 5
  Hi PurpleAngel - thanks for your comments and suggestions.

In terms of transferring my iTunes library on to the device and SD cards - what is the process there?...just USB the X3 into the MacBook and transfer across?? - is it as easy as that or a more complicated procedure??

Have not used the X3, but it should be just like other hook ups, connect a USB cable between the source (Macbook) and the X3. I would assume the Mac would recognise the X3 as an add-on storage device.
And copy files from the iTunes folder to the X3.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 5
Cool, thanks!

I'll read through the extensive thread on here and see what the others have to say - cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back