And then there were four...We adopt yet another cat!
Mar 2, 2008 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

beerguy0

Headphoneus Supremus
The wife and I were in Pet Smart Thursday night, and while looking for more toys for our three already spoiled-rotten kitties, we were looking at some of the cats up for adoption form a local Humane Society shelter. One kitty, Shelbie, had been at the shelter for nearly one year (March of 2007). My wife was ready to cry just thinking about the poor thing, so we filled out the papers, and Saturday we brought her home. She seemed kind of shy, but once we got her home she really opened up and seems very affectionate.

She is in definite need of a bath, but I gave her a good combing today and she looks much better already. The other three are still a little unsettled about the new kid, but so far she seems to be adapting pretty well.

Obligatory photos:

Shelbie, our newest family member.

261078190_yswWB-XL.jpg

261078317_JJS5J-XL.jpg

261078421_JJVSu-XL.jpg

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 18
lol it looks like she's waving at the camera with her leg in the last picture.

Cute addition to the family indeed.
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 18
Congratulations! We are up to seven. After my favorite cat Charlie passed away on New Years Day we decided to get another cat. We all three ended up with one.
eek.gif

Here was my choice .... Henry the 8th. Henry was thrown out of a car and had a near fatal head wound; but eventually fully recovered. Henry had been in foster care for three years and when I found him he had been stuffed in a small cage at a Pet Smart for the past several weeks for exposure. Henry is a big boy at 17 pounds and was not at all comfortable. It was a real pleasure to give him a big space with lots of room to roam.

Henry was a mostly a real coach potato at first .... but lately he loves to socialize, roam around upstairs or watch birds in the sunroom downstairs.

IMG_0103.jpg

Henry adjusted almost immediately and all the cats accepted him without a hitch.

IMG_0102.jpg

I have no idea what breed he is. But he looks just like our cat Jeep. I call them "cow kitty's".

IMG_0107.jpg

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 18
Shelbie is cute for sure. I had a cat named Shelby that passed not long ago at the age of 18+ years.

I was at a PetSmart today and they had many cats and kittens as usual. My son always enjoys playing with them and would agree to take one home I'm sure
tongue.gif
I'm holding my ground at one cat and three dogs.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 18
^ Henry the 8th is a handsome boy.

It's so sad to think of a kitty sitting in a cage for a year (or more). Apparently it's tough for older cats to get adopted. Most people want kittens, or at least young cats. She's the oldest cat we've adopted (Cosmo, the guy in my avatar pic, was adopted at 5 months but the others have all been 8-10 weeks.) At least Shelbie didn't have a feline URI when we brought her home - we've nursed three adopted cats through URIs, and had one cat infected by a new one so we were treating two at once.

Of course, the downside to not being in a cage for year is euthanasia.
frown.gif

Shelbies web page:
HSWC - Adopt-A-Pet Presents Shelbie

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 18
This is Chester. He is a fat. His interests include laying in box's that are too small for him to fit into, eating, and sleeping.
chesterdecember2004001ai0.jpg

1001992dj4.jpg

1001991oa8.jpg

0000026vq9.jpg

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sector001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i always wanted a cat but was afraid of the costs associated with them...

You mean like sanity? That's overrated anyway.

Financially, they're not bad. Pick up a stray and give it a home.

I've got two - might have to add another soon.

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #15 of 18
He is a very nice cat. If you step on his tail, or make in angry some how, he will always come right back to you, expecting food, or a belly rub.

Also, he is much larger than you think. Around 23 LB's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back