And the best movie is.............
Mar 8, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #61 of 72
Tons of truth with these issues, incidentally, many of which prevented Battlestar Galactica from ever getting any love at the Emmys
frown.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #62 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh. Avatar has made $2.5 billion worldwide.. The Hurt Locker has made less than 1 percent of that.

Hence, we will be seeing more Avatars and less Hurt Lockers, which is actually okay by me. I put together the international news section at a newspaper. I get enough of Iraq at work. Anymore, mindless escapism is my thing. For instance, I loved ZOMBIELAND. Heheheh. And you couldn't drag me kicking and screaming to watch a film about the marital strife of Leo Tolstoy ("The Last Station"). I get enough of that at home.

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #63 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Number one reason why Hurt Locker overcame Avatar.

james-camerons-pocohontas-err-avatar-16167-1262575848-25.jpg

That was awesome! Totally agree with you here, but then again, I thought Braveheart, Dances with Wolves, and Shawshank Redemption was also commercial crap (yes, I know I am in the minority). My favorite part of the academy awards were seeing the nominees for Best-Documentary. I haven't heard of any of them, and they all seemed so pertinent and necessary.

oh5vsl.jpg

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #64 of 72
davidhunternyc;6463195 said:
That was awesome! Totally agree with you here, but then again, I thought Braveheart, Dances with Wolves, and Shawshank Redemption was also commercial crap (yes, I know I am in the minority). My favorite part of the academy awards were seeing the nominees for Best-Documentary. I haven't heard of any of them, and they all seemed so pertinent and necessary.

QUOTE]

I haven't seen any of them either but do feel that the documentary film makers should be respected just like others.
Totally agree with you on Braveheart but disagree with you on Shawshank Redemption(one of my all time favourite films). That shows how people see things differently.
Maybe it is just me- I couldn't care less about who won since there were many great films that never won oscars (Citizen Kane; Apocalypse Now etc...). One thing that really bugged me now was something I didn't even notice until someone pointed it out- Farrah Fawcett was not in the memorial montage! Other absentees were Henry Gibson; Bea Arthur, Gene Barry, Carl Ballantine. They all made more movies than Michael Jackson.

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #65 of 72
Braveheart is good entertainment too. I have no problem with movies that wants to entertain you. It´s not trying to tell some true story or anything. Kingdom of Heaven is worse then since it seems to want to convince you things actually happened that way
smily_headphones1.gif

The Cove is excellent. But most oscars go to best sound, picture, etc etc and documentaries pretty much never ever compete in those areas. So you have one area where they can compete in and that is best documentary... On the other hand the Hurt locker have a very nice documentary feel. There is more District 9 and more that try to impress by virtual realism.

It has been a trend in games as well to add dirt and more dirt so documentaries is getting more and more respect as in a good way to deliver a message.

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #67 of 72
I like avatar but imho dont do anything new.

btw, avatar forum is full of crazy ppl, this is my favorite:
Quote:
NOOOOO oh man I feel so depressed! Especially when your friend next to you is shoving it in your face that Hurt Locker won over Avatar... I am seriously on the verge of crying I feel like stones are in my heart and soul

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #68 of 72
Revolver. everything's top notch, the storyline, the colorimetry, the OST, the actors....and it's got two cuts(UK/US) so you'll never get bored of it.

31revolver.jpeg

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #69 of 72
I agree that Revolver was underrated, but the best movie I don't know, I'll go with The Fountain.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #70 of 72

Quote:
Hurt Locker really sucked. It really did suck so much.

In terms of memories and entertainment, UP was so much better. I agree with XxATOLxX's in that in a couple of months, nobody will remember Hurt Locker. Hollywood politics....what can you do?

I'll have to differ w/ that.  I can tell you that it captured for me some of the most accurate feelings associated w/ being deployed to combat and after the fact.  It was an abomination that Avatar was even considered for best film.  Technical achievement sure.  

Quote:
I agree that Revolver was underrated, but the best movie I don't know, I'll go with The Fountain.

I loved the Fountain.  Most of the loons raving over Inception couldn't even begin to grasp The Fountain.  Definitely an IQ check.  Best movie?  I think it's a false question but an entertaining one.

Added Revolver to my Q.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #71 of 72

Quote:
I'll have to differ w/ that.  I can tell you that it captured for me some of the most accurate feelings associated w/ being deployed to combat and after the fact.   

I like the film too and often wonder if I could confirm the above with someone who had been there. It feels less Hollywood than a lot of other war films to me.

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #72 of 72
Count me in with you two. I thought THL was great and know a couple of vets, who said some detail was off, but the feel was definitely right. Beyond that, I thought the movie was a great character study. As I've said elsewhere, it represented well one of my favorite aspects of combat theater films - men good at there jobs. I love that stuff and loved how THL was a little leaner than most. Also masterfully directed. Bigelow handled perspective so well in the movie. To me, she deserved the gold guy, no matter her plumbing or former lover. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back