And the best movie is.............
Mar 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

but I'm not happy "The Hurt Locker" won since it was probably because no one knew what else to vote for. Honestly, I'd never even heard of "The Hurt Locker" until it was nominated. Apparently it disappeared at the box office under "G-Force" the story of CGI guinea pig secret agents. Bwhahahahahha.

Because you hadn't heard of it, it couldn't be any good? What kind of logic is that? It was a low budget(not big studio) movie that had a very limited release. Big promotion doesn't equal great movie.

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #32 of 72
AVatar is my favorite one too.. Loved it when i saw it first time in cinema and then i could not stop my self going over again to watch it
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #34 of 72
IMO, Avatar should have won it. $2 billion plus can't be wrong. And it wasn't because of promotion, at least not paid promotion. It got all that attention because of not just the 3D aspect ( there's been lots of 3D movies already), but because it was a huge, expensive, exceptionally well done blockbuster that obviously entertained people ... lots and lots of people ... many several times. As far as it being another Pocahontas story...no doubt about it. So was Dances With Wolves, and it won 7 Oscars. Let's face it, practically every movie made these days, if not a direct remake of an older movie, is simply a slightly different angle on an existing theme. Every cop movie has an angry Captain, etc.

I think Hurt Locker was very good, but nothing that really stood out. There's been several war movies over the years equally as tense and gritty. I'm guessing that various factors led to it being chosen. For example, the fact that it reflects the current conflict in the Middle East .... had it been about Vietnam, I don't think it would have had as much impact on people. The fact that the director was James Cameron's ex, and the fact that it gave the liberal academy a chance to give the world a new liberal first ... a winning female director, IMO also quite likely played a role. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if it had a David & Golieth underdog appeal to it as well, especially since Cameron often comes across as pompous and gloating.

I haven't seen it yet, but from what I've heard from friends who have, and from what I've seen in previews and clips, I'm betting that " Precious " was a better film from a story-line and possibly acting perspective, than both Avatar and Hurt Locker. But at the end of the day, Avatar, for several reasons, won the viewing public's vote and wallet...by a long shot. Hard to argue with that.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by santacore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because you hadn't heard of it, it couldn't be any good? What kind of logic is that? It was a low budget(not big studio) movie that had a very limited release. Big promotion doesn't equal great movie.

No, but promotion equals the studio thinking its something audience will want to see. I've seen good critical reviews of it, but reading at various forums, no one raves about it being a great film they loved. Everyone seems very so-so about it.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #38 of 72
Let's hope The Hurt Locker get's a distributor now.
then we'll get more people who want their money back.
sorry, but I don't think the hurt locker should have won.
Now I know why people really wanted inglourius basterds to win. that actually looks very good to me now. at least they won supporting actor.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
avatar should have won. it is the only movie nominated that people will still remember/talk about years from now.

Sure, Avatar will be discussed for years to come. However, I would argue that we will solely be discussing its position in the history of film when it comes to budget, promotion, and use of advanced technology.

How many times have you talked about Titanic recently? I'm sure it's come up. Now think, did you talk about its riveting formulaic storyline? Its un-noteworthy acting? Its lack of any contemporary cultural significance? Or did you talk about how, for its time, it was an insanely popular (and high grossing) film that made use of spectacular special effects?

The only movie on the list that will have any lasting value will be "Up," imho.

Of course, no one expects the Academy Award for Best Picture to mean anything... how many winners have stood the test of time? 5 out of 83?

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Avatar should have been up for best animated feature

James Cameron should have won the best Director. Even with a big expensive budget, creating a whole new believable, lush and above al beautiful world is allot harder then creating a movie about a real existing war..

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by JOEYBUCKETS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I will not bash the Hurtlocker, because I haven't seen it and I'm sure it's quite a decent film, I'm pretty certain it will not make me feel the same way as Avatar has. No movie has made me feel the way Avatar has and I went into Avatar VERY skeptical of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny-pictures-lightbulb-cat-get-a-life.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somebody really needs to get an f'n life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuruTech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AVatar is my favorite one too.. Loved it when i saw it first time in cinema and then i could not stop my self going over again to watch it
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by miloxo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
James Cameron should have won the best Director. Even with a big expensive budget, creating a whole new believable, lush and above al beautiful world is allot harder then creating a movie about a real existing war..

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
avatar should have won. it is the only movie nominated that people will still remember/talk about years from now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avatar will be discussed for years to come.

Very polarized opinions here; the Avatar haters vs. the Avatar lovers debate reminds me of:
red vs. blue voters, PC vs. Mac users, pre-emptive war for gas money vs. peace on earth, let the uninsured die vs. real health care reform, etc.

I haven't seen either movie, but I have noticed that the people who really like Avatar are being personally attacked by the haters solely because they really liked Avatar! It reminds me of the trolls that attack Mac users solely because they seem to like using their Mac, lol.

Most of these kind of people have never used a Mac, or seen Avatar; they just need to weigh in and spread their negativity for some reason.

I mean seriously, if you're attacking someone just because they liked a movie that you didn't, then who actually needs to get a life? And if you haven't even seen Avatar, then what rock are you crawling out from under to spew your hate?

All of this reactionary hating really makes me want to see "Avatar" way more than the positive reviews do, LOL; I also am looking forward to seeing The Hurt Locker, now that I've heard of it
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #42 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, Avatar will be discussed for years to come. However, I would argue that we will solely be discussing its position in the history of film when it comes to budget, promotion, and use of advanced technology.

I think at a more basic level, it will be discussed as a movie that shifted our perspective of what was possible in moviemaking. That's no small feat.

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #43 of 72
Yeah, I don't understand why there is so much ill feelings for some of the movies, especially coming from people that haven't seen them. I personally thought there were a bunch of great movies that were nominated this year. Many of them deserved to win in there own way. It makes me optimistic for the future of the industry.

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avatar forums? And people think we're weird.

haha thanks for my daily chuckle.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #45 of 72
Personally, I was hoping for a (very) long-shot win by Tarantino for Best Picture. I know that people had very polarizing opinions about it, but I though it was fantastic and certainly, for me, was the best out of the 6-7 that I did watch that were nominees (including The Hurt Locker and Avatar).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back