And Now It's Time for classical!
Aug 6, 2007 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Digitalbath3737

500+ Head-Fier
So the next genre on my list is classical! I have zero idea to start with this. I'm in love with string instruments and I like my music on the darker side of things. Thanks in advanced!

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 22
These are difficult, but Bartók's six string quartets assuredly meet your requirements. You will probably want to work through Beethoven and Schubert before plunging into Bartók. They are, to be fair, among the foundational pieces of modern music - as is most of Bartók's oeuvre.

Take the time to get the background to approach them, buy the Emerson recording on Deutsche Grammophon, and wonder how you got by without them.

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 22
Thanks I'll check those out! I just got Mistislav Rostropovich Shostakovich: Symphony No. 8. I defiantly like this. Dark and engaging. I'd love more like this.

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 22
Well, don't just get totally lost in those dark music. You are missing the big picture. :p

How about some easy listening pieces,

Mozart Symphony 40, Haydn Piano Trio, Chopin's Nocturne, Cesar Franck's Violin Sonata in A major, Mozart's Marriage of Figaro,Handel's Messiah

If you are into something "modern", one of my favor is Morton Feldman's Three Voices. Very facisnating vocal piece.

29968.jpg

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 22
Well, I'm a novice when it comes to classical music, too, as I have no musical background what so ever. But my approach was to start in periodical order. For, example, before jumping into any romantic/modern classical, I'd start with baroque. Bach is a great place to start.

I would suggest getting a Brandenburg concerto by Martin Perlman or Rinaldo Alessandrini. You could also get "The Art of Fugue" by Emerson string quartet. I recently got these albums and been loving listening to them.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 22
The Georg Lickl string quartets are excellent (there's one excellent recording by the Authentic Quartet, I believe), along with Rostropovich's Bach cello suites. Bach's violin partita in D minor is also a must-have.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 22
Definitely look at some Brahms string quartets/quintets/sextets. I have the Deutsche Grammophon complete set played by the Amadeus Quartet. While it's not the best I've heard, it's very good--and a reasonable price too.

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 22
That reminds me, Brahms' piano quartets are really excellent, particularly No. 3 in C minor.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm a novice when it comes to classical music, too, as I have no musical background what so ever. But my approach was to start in periodical order. For, example, before jumping into any romantic/modern classical, I'd start with baroque. Bach is a great place to start.

I would suggest getting a Brandenburg concerto by Martin Perlman or Rinaldo Alessandrini. You could also get "The Art of Fugue" by Emerson string quartet. I recently got these albums and been loving listening to them.

It is a fine approach.
Instead of randomly buying CDs, it is good to pick a few important figures from each period of music history and listen to their major works.

Once you find your favor style, you can then explore further. :)

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 22
That's for the hints guys!

So far I've listened to Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5, Shostakovich: Symphony No. 8 and Mahler: Symphony No. 6. I absolutely love Shostakovich music so far. I found Mahler to be kinda boring.

I'm about to listen to Bartok String Quartets. I've also picked up GORECKI: Symphony No 3and Rostropovich's Bach cello suites.

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 22
Any Stravinsky - Firebird Suite is a good place to start!! Bartok and Shostakovich are good choices as well.

Oh, any of Zappa's orchestrated stuff is amazing, if you love to be challenged!! Of course I'm quite bias!! Start with London Symphony Orchestra Vol. 1 & 2 or Yellow Shark... and get ready for your life to change!
wink.gif
Well, maybe not, but mine did, listening to Zappa in general!!

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So far I've listened to Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5, Shostakovich: Symphony No. 8 and Mahler: Symphony No. 6. I absolutely love Shostakovich music so far. I found Mahler to be kinda boring.

That's a fantastic one. The finale is simply overwhelming--and even more fun to play!

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found Mahler to be kinda boring.

Shock and horror.

Seriously, though, you wouldn't be the first person not to like Mahler. I, however, rank him with Beethoven and Mozart, right beneath Bach and Wagner. The 6th is a difficult piece, though. You might try the 2nd or 4th and then work your way around back to it.

Don't give up on Gustav! Even devotees of Mahler have a symphony or song-cycle that doesn't come easily. For me, it's his 8th, but it differs. Wait a while and then come back. The 2nd isn't dark - though it has its moments - but it is glorious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back