and now for the OCD
May 8, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 29
You could set them on something slightly wider than your head over night while letting them burn in so they loosen up

May 9, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #19 of 29
im just wondering... are u joking with those questions?

if you leave a rubber band stretched, what do you think would happen? they become loose...
if you leave stretch a piece of string for a long time, what do you think would happen? they become loose...

if you buy a new package of balloon and blow into them, what happens the 1st time? they are stiff and will become loose...
if you install new hinges on a door and use them, what happens? they are stiff and will become loose...

May 9, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #20 of 29
you have an amp right?

May 9, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #21 of 29
No he said he doesnt have an amp yet. Just make sure you get one, it will make a world of difference. And be nice TSi, he just wants to make sure he protects his investment.

The need for a new amp is whats keeping me from buying 701s.

May 9, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And be nice TSi, he just wants to make sure he protects his investment.

sorry, wasnt trying to offend anyone, but then maybe a little (just a little) common sense might work everything out... i mean, if they are new, what are the chances that they'll be looser than being used after a long time.

May 9, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #23 of 29
Hey,

I'm running them out of the head-out on my old pioneer amp right now.. and they still sound ridiculous to me.

I bought a Zero DAC/Amp and am going to swap the OPamps... so that should be good. I'm still waiting on that one as I bought everything at once - headphones, amp, OPamps, socket adapter...

TSi - Ya man I know I get a bit silly with such questions. As Snicewics said, I'm just being protective of my new purchase... I get extremely OCD with new things, so little things bother me and it helps to bounce these small things off of people as verbal affirmation.

I wasn't sure if a general 'tightness' is common for phones as my only other 'actual' pair were Triports, and I don't remember them being stiff.

Anyways, apologies that my momentary lapse of reasoning was bothering you.

Thanks all for the feedback!

May 9, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #24 of 29
Its kind of like I don't have a gauge for how 'tough' the build of the headphones are... So I was worried that even a slight twisting of them from holding one earcup while the other hangs down might not be good for them... but from what everyone is saying they are pretty hardy and things like this shouldn't make a difference...

May 9, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #25 of 29
The zero dac will be good, I currently have one without any of the opamp upgrades. It would also be good if you decided to get something such as a darkvoice or little dot amp and use the Zero as a pre-amp and DAC. That too IMO would make a nice difference.

THat is my plan at least if i do decide on 701s.

May 9, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #27 of 29
Ya man... I'm looking forward to the Zero... it's gotten some nice praise here, especially when paired w/ some opa627bp's.

Gordon - allowing it to twist just from it hanging down puts alot of torque on it?

May 9, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by djembeplay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya man... I'm looking forward to the Zero... it's gotten some nice praise here, especially when paired w/ some opa627bp's.

Gordon - allowing it to twist just from it hanging down puts alot of torque on it?

hey djem, ive just done what u said yesterday, it twists, like you said... but i personally wouldnt worry about it.

it might be dangerous if you do that and then fling it around,but if u were doing that to "remove/put on" the headphones, it should be fine if its not a long period of time.

May 9, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #29 of 29
Cool, thanks for experimenting!

I decided to take a knife and slash the outside of one of the cups so I won't be so finicky about the phones anymore. Now I can actually just enjoy them...

Na, just kidding :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back