and now for the OCD
May 8, 2008 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

djembeplay

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my new K701s... upgraded from Bose Triports. I didn't know what I was in for... but right now not even close to being broken in they sound amazing.

I just have a quick question about the strength of the headband and they way they should be handled. I put them on and take them off holding the earcups, of course... but when I was pluggin them in I was holding them by only one earcup. The weight of the other side caused it to hang down a bit (just by gravity, I wasn't twisting it). In other words, if I hold them by one earcup horizontally, the other earcup hangs down a bit... is this bad for the phones? I am assuming no, since they are built to be used and stretch much more than this when put onto a head... but of course my 'new toy' OCD has set in, so I had to try it a few times to get a feel for it... am I being crazy or is this something that is bad for the headphones?

Thanks-

May 8, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 29
i have the k701 too, but i personally handle the gear with 2 hands, so that it doesnt "slope" or get pulled down.

id say it doesnt relaly matter too much, but then its more of a "precaution"

May 8, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 29
I mean it stretched much more when you put them on your head, so it seems like the pull of gravity on one unheld phone wouldn't do any harm... but ah, the gnawing feeling of 'you wrecked your new headphones' lol...

yup...

May 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 29
They're designed to be able to flex and adapt to different head shapes. Don't go yanking them in different directions, but the natural twist/drop is nothing to worry about.

May 8, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 29
Cool, thanks for the alleviation... I suppose part of breaking things in is to learn things like this.

Every time I get something new... it's a bitter-sweet experience... because the first little thing that I can worry about gets magnified to about 1000x beyond reason.

I've had them for 2 hours out of the box now, lol...

So these are meant to be able to twist sideways as well as widen? I mean, within reason I mean... like a light twist or the pull of gravity when holding one phone...

May 8, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 29
IMO, they are built very well. Just don't drop them.
wink.gif

May 8, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 29
You must have long fingers to be able to hold them and cradle the metal bands, lol... or are you not even holding the cups when you do that?

When I was testing holding them with one hand, I had them completely horizontal and was only holding one cup, letting the other hang freely... which naturally causes a slight twisting on the headband. This is OK then?

May 8, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 29
Come on mate, relax. I've got my 701 with one hand, with both, from one cup, from the headband.... everything is alright, you won't damage them by holding them just by one side.

Let them burn-in and enjoy your cans
wink.gif

Rgrds

May 8, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #14 of 29
Thx! It already sounds better than my triports... and I dont even have my amp yet.

Incidentally, does the headband loosen up after a little bit? I.e., it's a little stiff out of the box, right?

er, I dont mean the leather piece, I mean the actual tightness of the cups to my ears... it's a bit tight right now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back