And in the end...The Beatles are why audiophilia exists?
Aug 10, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by shesmylovernow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beatles also invented Christmas and pay raises.

Flame away, but the Beatles did a lot more imitating (R & B, girl groups, Dylan, etc.) than innovating in my opinion.

I'm not talking about their musical influences......All I'm saying in very simple terms is that the innovations which Geoff Emerick discovered when recording the beatles from 1966-1969 were the seeds from which modern day audiophilia was born. Not that the beatles themselves were musically innovative (which they were), but thats not the point..........the thing which keeps Sgt. Pepper regarded as the single most important recording ever made in ANY genre is the innovations made in the studio. It may sound dated now.....but it is probably the first reason that an average joe like me invests in high fidelity audio equipment.

I don't even love sgt. pepper, but I think its important to recognize it as the milestone recording which gave birth to the recording studio as a serious medium of art. And because it is such a mainstream recording, high fidelity and audiophilia was turned overnight from something that only experienced classical and jazz fanatics knew about or cared about, into a phenomenon that even a 12 year old had an interest in.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #32 of 35
I have never seen anything influence culture, music and sound as the Beatles did. Nothing has come close.

Now we have Justin Timberlake...sigh.

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #33 of 35
I think some of this praise and hyperbole is why the Beatles broke up . . . well that and Yoko. Sgt Peppers = Pet Sounds + LSD. Obviously, the equation is not that simple but they were as derivative as anyone else and never had a problem admitting it . . . Buddy Holly, Brian Wilson, Ravi Shankar, The Band. These are just the tip of the iceberg. They are the ones who said they set out to make the Beatles version of Pet Sounds.

I have a friend who saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan and he said the next day everything seemed different. There is no doubt about their influence on the culture but I think sometimes their accomplishments are overestimated because of their talent and popularity. They weren't always first to the party but once they got there they were usually the life of the party.

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone share my sentiments that the reason why there are audiophiles is because of the innovations made by the Beatles, Martin and Emerick in the 60s. Yes I know stereo recordings were there beforehand (primarilly in classical)......but did the audiophile world blossom with Revolver and Sgt. Pepper? Anyone agree? And no I'm not 50, I'm 24:)

Wow. A couple days ago I picked up my first two Beatles albums. A yup, they are Revolver and Sgt. Pepper LHCB.

Coincidence? I think not...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back