.....and, I'm up for air!
Apr 10, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #241 of 273
Best wishes Tyll. Hope you get taken care of asap and that you have a speedy recovery and get back to enjoying life.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #242 of 273
110610-headphones.jpg

@Tyll Hertsens is the man! Headphone master! Have a speedy recovery friend!

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #243 of 273
Hey Tyll--my bother who is about your age (you two yutes) just had both hip replacement surgeries at the same time. He came through it very well. However, he's a jock unlike the two of us. Best wishes for a rapid, full and (almost) pain free recovery and rehab.

Love Beatty and the surrounding area. That town has a great all grass city park--a desert rarity and a great place to stop if you are the road with a dog. Going back and forth from TX to Reno, we always stop there.

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #244 of 273
Love Beatty and the surrounding area. That town has a great all grass city park--a desert rarity and a great place to stop if you are the road with a dog. Going back and forth from TX to Reno, we always stop there.

No crap. I’ll have to take a look and check that out. My dog Dart would ****ing love a plot of grass right about now after being a desert dog fir the last 6 months. I’ll check it out, but send me a pin to the park if you can.

Apr 10, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #245 of 273
It's a major surgery, just make sure you've got a solid person to support your recovery. When my significant other went through it she required pretty constant assistance for 2-3 months as she slowly started being able to do more and more.

Apr 10, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #246 of 273
^^ Cottonwood Park in is only a block from US 95 between 3rd and 4th streets. If on 95 heading from Reno to Vegas, take a right at MacDonald Street. You will be in the middle of the two "city" block sized park.

P.S. Last time we were there, we saw wild burrows wandering around town in the area of the park.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #247 of 273
P.S. Last time we were there, we saw wild burrows wandering around town in the area of the park.
Oh yeah, saw numerous donkeys in town today. And many when I camped here a couple of years ago. Thankfully Dart doesn’t have a taste for donkey poop. It’s all ove the place here where we’re camped.

I’ll post a couple of pix tomorrow.

Apr 11, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #248 of 273
Oh yeah, saw numerous donkeys in town today. And many when I camped here a couple of years ago. Thankfully Dart doesn’t have a taste for donkey poop. It’s all ove the place here where we’re camped.

I’ll post a couple of pix tomorrow.
If you feel like it, would you post a bit about how the pandemic has affected the RV life you're leading?

Apr 11, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #249 of 273
I had a girlfriend during the Covid high season. We waited it out summer of 2020 isolating on a small property in Missouri. Holy crap is it miserably hot there. No kiddin', 99 degrees and 99% humidity far too often. I never knew I was a nudist. Amy tended a garden there and I remodeled Putt so both Amy and I could sleep in it. I've attached some pix. She brought color into Putt and my world in more ways than one. When we were together it felt like two twelve-year-olds in a treehouse. We never had one cross word or argument. She muttered under her breath occasionally, and I kept my trap shut when I thought she was wrong, but all in all it was great and super healing for both of us. Oh, she did throw dominos at me once 'cuz I was kicking her butt.

Winter of 2020/2021we basically isolated on one of the BLM LTVA's (Beaurough of Land Management Long Term Visitor Areas) where you don't have to move every two weeks as you do on regular BLM land. We mostly stayed to ourselves, but those in the Nomad community that were less worried about the spread did hold a variety of gatherings. They weren't as well attended as years previous due to percentage of isolating Nomads, and Amy and I did go for short day visits to a few of them to get a little social interaction in. Nomads are basically always outdoors in the breeze, so as long as you did the elbow bump rather than a hug we felt it was pretty safe. At the end of that season, I did ask around and we couldn't find any Nomad that got covid while in the desert at gatherings. We only found a couple that got it elsewhere; one worked in a rest home, and one got it in Utah or somewhere and had driven down. Both isolated when they became aware. So, Covid changed the community just a little bit with the left/right divide reducing gathering size, and most Nomads continue to get along with each other over the divide because there's sort of a cultural rule not to talk politics. We don't live in that world anymore, to some extent, and most of us hardly follow political stuff as a result.

Amy and I are no longer together. Our break-up was terrific, we're still fine friends. We're both separately mobile and it looked like our futures would have us more apart as not, but the main this is she simply felt so strong in her independence---she had lived crushed under the heals of mom's work and crappy husbands all her life---that she didn't want any tether to anyone else's decisions at all. And I totally got it. Also, what should we do if we bumped into someone during long periods apart and became romantically attracted? Anyway, we were both quite content to call it off.

Attachments

• IMG_4778b.jpg
    IMG_4778b.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4779.JPG
    IMG_4779.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #250 of 273
I had a girlfriend during the Covid high season. We waited it out summer of 2020 isolating on a small property in Missouri. Holy crap is it miserably hot there. No kiddin', 99 degrees and 99% humidity far too often. I never knew I was a nudist. Amy tended a garden there and I remodeled Putt so both Amy and I could sleep in it. I've attached some pix. She brought color into Putt and my world in more ways than one. When we were together it felt like two twelve-year-olds in a treehouse. We never had one cross word or argument. She muttered under her breath occasionally, and I kept my trap shut when I thought she was wrong, but all in all it was great and super healing for both of us. Oh, she did throw dominos at me once 'cuz I was kicking her butt.

Winter of 2020/2021we basically isolated on one of the BLM LTVA's (Beaurough of Land Management Long Term Visitor Areas) where you don't have to move every two weeks as you do on regular BLM land. We mostly stayed to ourselves, but those in the Nomad community that were less worried about the spread did hold a variety of gatherings. They weren't as well attended as years previous due to percentage of isolating Nomads, and Amy and I did go for short day visits to a few of them to get a little social interaction in. Nomads are basically always outdoors in the breeze, so as long as you did the elbow bump rather than a hug we felt it was pretty safe. At the end of that season, I did ask around and we couldn't find any Nomad that got covid while in the desert at gatherings. We only found a couple that got it elsewhere; one worked in a rest home, and one got it in Utah or somewhere and had driven down. Both isolated when they became aware. So, Covid changed the community just a little bit with the left/right divide reducing gathering size, and most Nomads continue to get along with each other over the divide because there's sort of a cultural rule not to talk politics. We don't live in that world anymore, to some extent, and most of us hardly follow political stuff as a result.

Amy and I are no longer together. Our break-up was terrific, we're still fine friends. We're both separately mobile and it looked like our futures would have us more apart as not, but the main this is she simply felt so strong in her independence---she had lived crushed under the heals of mom's work and crappy husbands all her life---that she didn't want any tether to anyone else's decisions at all. And I totally got it. Also, what should we do if we bumped into someone during long periods apart and became romantically attracted? Anyway, we were both quite content to call it off.
Putt looks decidedly different than when you started out! Nice. Looks lovingly lived in now. Interior colors really brought it to life man. Happy camping.

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #252 of 273
No, that didn't happen.
Ah, well I didn’t see you, just heard maybe you stopped by. It was great seeing some updates on how you are doing, with the girlfriend and continued satisfaction with the Nomad life, but it’s a shame to learn about your hips!

I hope your surgery goes smoothly!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #253 of 273
Putt looks decidedly different than when you started out! Nice. Looks lovingly lived in now. Interior colors really brought it to life man. Happy camping.

It's kinda hard to tell, but about half the walls were painted a pale pink. I was leary when Amy picked the colors, but I love it now. It's not in the pix, but the window curtain is an illustrated map of the USA that Amy made for me and is wonderfully colorful with the light behind it.

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #254 of 273
Have you had a chance today to check out the park--more importantly did Dart?

I only go into town once every ten days to two weeks, and tomorrow I'm heading North, so I probably won't have the chance. But this is a good spot to wait out rising temp on what's likely an annual Northward journey, so I'm sure I'll have the opportunity in the future. Tonopah tomorrow; Ely on Friday, probably there for two days to wait out some rain and wind further North; then Wells on Sunday; Twin Falls Mon and Tues for wind; then Idaho Falls Wednesday; and Bozeman a week from tomorrow. I really can't drive for too long of a time with my hips, so it's slow going.

BTW, if I'm a little spotty here for the next week it'll be because I'm on the move and may end up in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #255 of 273
With the altitude (far more important than location), you will probably need your winter jacket at Tonopah--especially at night. Some years back we got caught in a major snow storm this same time of year (mid April) driving through Tonopah on the way to Reno. As you probably know, weather is often much different going from Beatty to Goldfield and then on to Tonopah.

Too bad that you will not be in Beatty through the end of the month. If that was so, Dart may have been able to meet Molly at the park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back